Hey, new to the forum....
not much of a 'forum' user, try not to spend to much time on the computer...
end up getting sucked into rabbit holes
but Im in need of assistance.....
Have a CNC project on the go, after getting frustrated with lack of power and workspace from my 150x250mm bench CNC ive decided to build a 1500x1000mm beast,
It's a gantry style, framed with 20x40 extrusion capped with 10mm ally plates, 20x20 spans support the frame
linear bearings with ballscrews (bearings and ball screws came as a set from PRC)
Spindle is 2.2Kw water cooled with VFD,
24v 240w power supply for the Drivers
movement is NEMA 23 Closed loop steppers with HBS57H drivers (the source of my issues)

All parts are sourced from PRC as anything local appears to be from there anyway just via more hands....
My initial plan is to run a CNC shield on an Arduino with U.G.S as CAM....
herein lies my issue.....

I cant get my steppers to move, I have an Uno with GRBL loaded, i have it wired to the drivers, When I 'jog' the machine it just makes a squealing/growling noise from the steppers and they dont move.
Now because they are closed loop they are holding position and when send a jog command the EN allows the steppers to unlock so i can turn them by hand until the command has run after which they lock again....
If I scope the Driver inputs I can see the EN switch, I can see the DIR switch, but I cannot see any pulse....
this may just be my slow hand held scope however because if i remove the Arduino and fit it to a CNC shield it will drive my Mini CNC steppers fine, so Im pretty sure the pulses are there.....

I have tried a number of "step/mm" or pulse width variations blindly but am not getting any where....

suggestions?
any additional info I can provide?

thanks for your time help

Joseph
New Zealand