584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VCarve import question

I am using VCarve Pro 6, an older version I know. I am trying to import a picture and trace the vectors, all of which I know how to do. My question is am I doing it correctly. I have the vectors traced but I am not sure if I should be using a v-bit or something different to do the work. The picture is a combination of letters and pictures. Can I use a v-bit for all of it or should I do multiple toolpaths with a v-bit for the letters and a different type of bit for the other parts of the pictures? If so, what kind of toolpath and what type of bit? Thank you.

EDIT: I will be using an older Shark Pro cnc machine that I usually import .tap files into generated by VCarve Pro 6.

Re: VCarve import question

I'm no Vcarve expert,but would expect to be able to select as many of the vectors,resulting from tracing,as I found necessary.I would take a little time to verify that the useful vectors were joined where necessary and create toolpaths for them.If different features seemed to suit different types of tool,I would try the tool that seemed best and simulate the sequence at the highest possible resolution to get an idea of what the outcome would be.Once satisfied,I would post process the sequences and make some shavings.You may want to create some different tools to see what gives the effect you are looking for and if one is particularly pleasing,just hope somebody makes it.Or hunt for the nearest equivalent.Does your machine have a toolchanger?

routalot, thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean about a toolchanger. I know I can preview inside of VCarve Pro 6. Is there another piece of software that can import the tap file and give me a good preview of what it will look like before it goes to the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by hoops10 View Post
    routalot, thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean about a toolchanger. I know I can preview inside of VCarve Pro 6. Is there another piece of software that can import the tap file and give me a good preview of what it will look like before it goes to the machine?
    I readily admit that I don't know the capabilities of every CNC router that is in use,so when I saw that the machine in question is a Shark Pro I thought there was a chance it had a toolchanger.Which is a device that holds additional tools that the machine can pick up and use when the program instructs it to.It seems your machine doesn't have one so if you need a combination of tools to complete a project you presumably have to adjust the Z value of your G54 to accommodate the differing length of each tool.

If the simulation produced by your version of VCarve isn't good enough to be helpful you could try Camotics.It isn't the fastest,but it does the job.You may have to spend a little time modelling the tool shape before running your program.

My question is am I doing it correctly. I have the vectors traced but I am not sure if I should be using a v-bit or something different to do the work. The picture is a combination of letters and pictures. Can I use a v-bit for all of it or should I do multiple toolpaths with a v-bit for the letters and a different type of bit for the other parts of the pictures? If so, what kind of toolpath and what type of bit? Thank you.
    Without seeing what you are doing, and knowing what results you are looking for, this is impossible to answer.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sorry about the vague question. I am attaching a picture of what I am trying to do. You can see in the picture the words and also the picture-part of it I am speaking of. It will be going on about a 10"x10" piece of wood or maybe even a 12"x12" piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hogwarts crest cnc.jpg  

Just to add to the post right above this. I want to carve out the black in the top part of the banner, which I assume the v-bit will do nicely. The bottom part of the banner will be carved like the top part (even though it looks different in the picture.) The crest in the middle is where I am unsure which toolpath to use (engrave, pocket, profile?) and what type of bit to use. I would like to carve the animals out or maybe even carve around them instead. Any thoughts?

Cool Re: VCarve import question

Something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hogwarts.jpg  
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Zasto, close. I want the top and bottom banners (with the words) to engrave the same. So basically in your picture, change the bottom banner to match the top banner. Also I like the middle. Is it possible to reverse the middle picture though. By that I mean instead of engraving the animals, engrave around them. Or would it be easier/look better to engrave the animals like in your picture? Thank you.

OK, another quickie

Zasto, I really like that second one, thank you. Can you explain what toolpaths and bits you used to make it? I assume v-bit for the top and bottom banners. But what about the center picture. What kind of bit and type of toolpath did you use for that one? Also how did you get VCarve Pro to cut-out around the animals instead of cut the actual animals out? Thanks for all your help.

It is all about figuring out how to offset the vectors, where to cut them, where to join ends, ...
    2 bits used for this carving: 60 deg. V bit and 1/8" for clearing large areas.
    If I get some free time, I might make a video how I did it (sorry it might be without voice over).

Zasto, I would be really interested in seeing that video. No worries on the voice over. What type of bit was the 1/8" for the larger areas?

Here you have it:

https://youtu.be/IXW_3nB_DEM

1/8" ordinary 2 flute end mill

Question at around the 2:00 mark. I noticed that you were selecting and deleting some vectors around the central H. You got to the lower right part of the H and did something but I can't tell what. Can you explain?

When I offsetted the vector of the shield, there were some leftovers (letter H). To invert the contents of the shield, you need a closed vector, that is the reason for cutting vector, adding some lines and deleting of unwanted pieces.

Attached the results with and without deleting the leftovers around letter H.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uncleaned H.jpg   Cleaned H.jpg