584,879 active members*
5,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finally Took the plunge!!! G0704
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Finally Took the plunge!!! G0704

Finally did it, found a real clean slightly used mill, $1500 with a bunch of tooling.

Prob leave it manual, then convert with stock screws, then swap out for ball screws...

Re: Finally Took the plunge!!! G0704

Cool!

Just go straight for ball screws if you can afford it. It's an easier conversion for a lot of reasons, also lead screws don't really make sense on a CNC machine.

I ran mine manually for year before converting. Sometimes I wish I still had a manual one. If for nothing more than having a really nice drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Cool!

Just go straight for ball screws if you can afford it. It's an easier conversion for a lot of reasons, also lead screws don't really make sense on a CNC machine.

I ran mine manually for year before converting. Sometimes I wish I still had a manual one. If for nothing more than having a really nice drill press.
    That's kind of where I'm at, I have a full sized drill press this will be replacing, I have all the electronics from a router I built, so all I really need is to attach everything. Probably belt drive like Flashcut.

Cool!

I agree, don’t bother with putting steppers (or servos) on lead screws.
    You likely saved a ton of cash on tooling when you bought the mill so you are already up.
    I used a lot from Automation Technologies. GREAT screws, GREAT electronics but CRAP steeper mounts, I mean Crap! They looked like an angry beaver gnawed them out of scrap.
    Hands down I would go to them for the screws and electronics, the smooth stepper ether net board is excellent. But if you can find something like Arizona Videos mounts go for them,
    I always intended on making my own set of mounts but honestly once I got my mill dialed in I haven’t looked back.

So many great mods, so much information on this little mil but I’d say save up for a complete, proven set of screws and steppers, load up Mach 3, fusion 360 and start making what you want.

CNC is whole different kettle of fish. I manual mill at work because I have to, it gets basic things done. But on a CNC machine you can make things that impress and solve unique problems.

BTW. I put a belt drive on mine (Hoss conversation) and kept the quill. I can and do still use as a manual drill press, I left the handle on the Z so I can move the head without powering up the electronics. Best of both I figure.

Cool!

I would second that. I have a converted Sieg X3 which is similar. Good luck on your conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    I would second that. I have a converted Sieg X3 which is similar. Good luck on your conversion.
    Ebay vise showed up, 4 inch $60 with shipping, git it in 3 days!!!
    Have to modify the pegs so they fit the slots.

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    Ebay vise showed up, 4 inch $60 with shipping, git it in 3 days!!!
    Have to modify the pegs so they fit the slots.
    Mounted!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vice Mounted.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	452636

Well, just ordered about $200 in parts to build the belt drive, including more than $70 in a tap I'll use once, and a keyway broach and collar I'll use twice!!!

I'm going with the Optimum ratio's, 50% on the Z axis, and a 80% on the XY, I have some smaller Nema 23's, 270 oz. Optimum uses 2.2Nw, which is about 311 oz/inch, pretty close to get me feet wet..

It's sounds like you have a plan! Good luck!

I have had Hoss' plans forever, plan on doing his MAD drawbar mod. Do I need a special drawbar or modify the stock one? Can't find any info on it in the plans.

CR

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    I have had Hoss' plans forever, plan on doing his MAD drawbar mod. Do I need a special drawbar or modify the stock one? Can't find any info on it in the plans.

CR
    The stock drawbar is all you will need, just add the bellville washers. I did it and it works but watch out for “pullout” , if you load up the tool the clamping pressure might not be enough. I had it happen to me with the mod setup, using a 1/2” end mill shoulder milling a deep cut.

Thanks for the reply!!! I did have it off tonight, looks like that cap with the two flats on it that threads into the quill, gets ditched, and just the draw bar with the washers under it...
    I built a router table so I have all the electronics, most came from Automation. I was thinking about something more inline with flash cut to start out with.. I came up with this so far...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XY Full Mount.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	452482

ps When I decide to go ball screw, I'll probably go with the Arizona Video stuff....

I run Solidworks, it's what I was using at work a few years back, got kind of used to it...

This is what I have so far...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201126_193550.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	453028
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201126_193534.jpg   20201126_193550.jpg  

Hi. I don't know whether I should ask this question here in this thread or not but still...Just wanted to know about the Kreg router table mention at no. 2, here in this article https://top15products.com/tools/best-router-table/
    Is it worth it or not?

Attachment 453792Attachment 453794Attachment 453796

Made the first motor mount, and threaded the Z Axis gear. I bought a gear with a 1/2" bore, then bored it out in the lathe to the tap drill size, then luckily my 1/2 Procunier fit the M16 tap without a collet, went in like buddah! Nice and true..

Waiting on some 3/8" aluminum plate to adapt those motor mount to the lathe.

Looks great man!

Looks great man!
    Thanks getting there in between customer jobs. Damn paying customers always getting in the way!!!

Messed around with the speed controller, was speeding up when loaded down, stalling, etc... Looked over Hoss' video, the compensate surged at full clockwise, seemed better, near full counter. Still acting funny, limit around just past 50%. Turned the High Speed Limit full clockwise, adjusted the compensate, now seems pretty good, steady rpm while making heavy cuts, stalls much less..

Tried broaching a keyway with a 5/32" parting tool in the lathe, just moving the compound in to remove material. Getting there, but have to dress the tool better... Waiting material for the adapter plates and stand offs...

Dry Fit of the Z Axis, looks pretty good, need to shim the plate up about 5/32"...

Attachment 454206
    Attachment 454208
    Attachment 454210

Ended up like this, belts align better, I think it looks cleaner, only issue now is holding the lock nut on the spindle because the adapter plate is in the way. I think I have a solution, bore a hole through the side of the plate, drop a pin in there to hold the nut.Attachment 454284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201213_132629.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	454286

Page 1 of 2 12