584,861 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finally Took the plunge!!! G0704
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Finally Took the plunge!!! G0704

Finished adapter plate for the Z Axis with a groove to catch the locking nut on the Z screw. Attachment 454378

First real quick test of the Z Axis, bunch of old stuff from the Router/Plasma Table.

https://youtu.be/YOMzSB6LbuM

Enjoy!

Dupe

Nice progress there!

Thanks Bud!!

Working in the shop on customer jobs, looking the X and Y axis, decided to run the motors same as the Z axis, motors tucked in instead of out.
    Touched up the first design, changed the spacing so the motors clear the tables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XYZ BELT DRIVE V2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	454720

Attachment 455272Attachment 455270Attachment 455268Attachment 455266

X Axis mocked up, Motor just a tad too low, I kind of figure that. That mount I'll use for the Y axis, I make another for the X with more offset on the motor.

Attachment 455354Attachment 455356

Dry fitted the Y Axis, and it became apparent that the X stepper motor would crash into it when the the table is far forward, not good. So decided to keep the Y Axis tuck under the table, but the X is going to have to stick out the side, unless I do a lot of redesign on the Y Axis....

https://youtu.be/eTiHZ6QNuWg

Basically, here it is!!! I know I need a bigger stepper for the Z, the X and Y seem to be humming along.

I have some Prox sensors for the limits going on there, spindle control, yadda yadda....

One thing I did learn, the Y screw was real sloppy so I pulled the table. Just nasty sticky oil, must have been the packing. Cleaned everything out with WD40, oiled everything with way oil, adjusted the screw blocks, the adjusting screws were falling out, oiled up the screws, adjusted the jibs. Moves so more free, has very little slop in the screws, and no play in the ways...

Pretty happy so far...

CR

It looks pretty sweet!

Since you are using the lead screws you might not really have to worry about that Z stepper, and I know lots use a Nema 23 on Z anyways. There are some advantages to it. For a while everybody was going for bigger and bigger steppers on Z, but I think some have realized this is a mistake. I use a 906oz in Nema 34, it has been fine for years, gib adjustment is critical though.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    It looks pretty sweet!

Since you are using the lead screws you might not really have to worry about that Z stepper, and I know lots use a Nema 23 on Z anyways. There are some advantages to it. For a while everybody was going for bigger and bigger steppers on Z, but I think some have realized this is a mistake. I use a 906oz in Nema 34, it has been fine for years, gib adjustment is critical though.
    You really don't need a real fast rapid on the Z, but I'm getting some stalling, and will really screw up a part if that happens in the middle of the job. The other thing is what motor you stuff on top of the head. They seem to be going bigger and bigger with them too... Those NEMA 23's are only 270 oz, I believe I can get a 570 oz 23 to work on the G540, I'll do that for the Z... I just calculated the steps also, it's close, but I have to calibrate everything, I have an old Thinkpad I'm running for the parallel, I just ordered a UC100 USB to parallel adapter for a much newer Thinkpad I have.

Getting there..

Yeah, I use 570's on X and Y, and run them at maximum amperage with the MX3660. I used a G540 for years though. The nice thing about the 570oz with the G540 is that you don't have to worry about trimming the amperage.

The weight of the head probably makes a difference, I use a pneumatic spring to help compensate. I have a big BLDC plus the power drawbar, but with belt drive I tossed all the gears and what not in the bin I so imagine the head isn't much heavier than a stock head. It might even be lighter. The BLDC while large is also quite light. Ballscrews obviously like to drive the stepper with the weight of the head more than a lead screw would. So the counter weight probably isn't needed.

I still use a G540 to run my ATC carousel stepper, that stepper sings/squeals. It just seems to be the nature of the analog drivers. The other three steppers are on the MX3660 and they are quiet as can be.

Been messing around, got the UC100 USB adapter tonight, pretty easy setup. I was running the machine on an old thinkpad XP parallel port, done with that. Running on a laptop with Win10.
    I found some stuff laying and built a drag scribe. Not too shabby.. An old Taig lathe bearing center https://www.soigeneris.com/taig-need...ve-center-1151, a hunk of 1/4" drill rod, and a carbide scribe pencil tip.
    The lathe center is spring loaded, works pretty good.Attachment 456534Attachment 456536Attachment 456538Attachment 456540

Page 2 of 2 12