584,829 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

MPG Pendant update and issue

Hey guys this is an update from the last post about the MPG I fought for weeks and finally got going , well for a while ....I was running the router that has the mpg on it and the driver blew out which was expected so I changed ll the tx14--- drivers it comes with to a stepper online driver same as the tb6600 drivers and all seemed to work well beside the MPG . Here is the thing I can jog no problem on every axis except for the y axis and that is the one that blew the driver before . Using the keyboard in Mach3 jogging works fine no issues in y but when I go to the MPG y will only jog in the plus direction . Has this happen to anyone else or does any one know what this could be ? Should I change the stepper motor out ?

Re: MPG Pendant update and issue

If the stepper works when jogging with the keyboard then the stepper should be fine. I would be looing at the MPG. Check the direction signal going into the drive to see if it goes hi and low when you change direction.

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    If the stepper works when jogging with the keyboard then the stepper should be fine. I would be looing at the MPG. Check the direction signal going into the drive to see if it goes hi and low when you change direction.
    Yes all that worked fine before having a driver burn up

You could try swapping the X & Y motors and see if the problem follows the motor.

You could try swapping the X & Y motors and see if the problem follows the motor.
    Yeah I tried swapping the x and y at the motors and the problem went from the y to the x ?????

So the problem went from the y to the x as I switched the wiring so this told me the motors are good ?? I don't know if I need to replace the driver and the motor because it worked when I flipped the wires . This makes me think the wiring has burnt out or the connector has a short any suggestions???

Update.... I have tried just about everything v
    I replaced the motion controller board thinking it my have been an issue with it but I get the same results so I am stuck.!!! I can jog the machine with the keyboard in mach3 with no issue thats whats got me . When I try jogging with the mpg pendant everything works except for the +y direction. Im out of things to try other than replacing the motor and driver does anyone have anything I can try before I replace the motor and driver ?????? Just for the record I have moved the wires over to the x axis and the issue follows the wiring and when I swap the wires at the driver the problem follows

I have now replaced the driver and still no luck there is still something else going on . I cant understand how I can jog in every axis even the problem axis but just not in the positive direction wth????????????? Can anyone tell me anything about the mpg ??? could this be the selector switch for the y axis is burnt in that direction ?

What MPG are you using?

What MPG are you using?
    Its the knock off of tosokuClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201203-093931_eBay.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	453572
    This is the pinoutClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201203-094334_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	453576

This is what the signals from the MPG look like for each direction.

Attachment 453578

I would try to swap the X & Y connections from the MPG to the BOB to see if the problem moves to the X. If it does, the problem is in the MPG. If it doesn't then for some reason the signal for that direction isn't getting through to MACH3.

This is what the signals from the MPG look like for each direction.

Attachment 453578

I would try to swap the X & Y connections from the MPG to the BOB to see if the problem moves to the X. If it does, the problem is in the MPG. If it doesn't then for some reason the signal for that direction isn't getting through to MACH3.
    Ok great yes I did swap the connections and it moved so how should I go about troubleshooting the mpg for just that axis what would be bad the encoder or the selector switch

I guess my question is i almost know for sure it is the mpg but is it the encoder or the selector switches I have a cheap encoder dial I can wire up to check to see if it is the problem but if that don't work how do I test the selector switches

It is weird that only ONE axis won't jog in ONLY ONE direction
    Selector switches are only telling your software which axis you selected but not the direction. Direction is determined by the sequence of A and B signals from encoder to computer.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82 View Post
    I guess my question is i almost know for sure it is the mpg but is it the encoder or the selector switches I have a cheap encoder dial I can wire up to check to see if it is the problem but if that don't work how do I test the selector switches
    I doubt it is the encoder because it works fine on the other axis. I would bet on the selector switch or any circuitry between the switch and the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82 View Post
    So the problem went from the y to the x as I switched the wiring so this told me the motors are good ?? I don't know if I need to replace the driver and the motor because it worked when I flipped the wires . This makes me think the wiring has burnt out or the connector has a short any suggestions???
    Could it be that cable or connector broken?
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

The cable would be the most likely thing to break and one of the easiest to check.

The cable would be the most likely thing to break and one of the easiest to check.
    I checked the cable one of the 1st things I did . I made a test cable for mog a set that goes to the driver from the bob and a set that goes from bob to pc so thats been checked . Here is a few pics of what the inside of the mpg pcb looks like . The pcb in the pics is from an old mpg but is the same in the current one Attachment 453652Attachment 453654

SO did you ever get it figured out as I am having the same exact issues but my Y moves in only negative values. I am using a variant of that same MPG.
    Ive tested everything the same way you have with the same poor results. No Y axis movement in both directions.
    Everything works fine with the keyboard but the mpg wont move y axis both ways.
    Im leaning towards the controller being the problem as mach3 will let it be commanded to move only the faulty y axis in that one direction using the MPG, even with all motors disabled and pins/ports removed in settings. But no movement with keyboard without motors enabled.
    I just dont understand wtf is going on.
    I really would like to use this MPG and save a lot of walking back and forth to the PC.
    Any ideas or a solution??
    Running a usbmach 5 axis board with mpg connect that works like a champ in every other way but this damn MPG!

Quote Originally Posted by 3djag View Post
    SO did you ever get it figured out as I am having the same exact issues but my Y moves in only negative values. I am using a variant of that same MPG.
    Ive tested everything the same way you have with the same poor results. No Y axis movement in both directions.
    Everything works fine with the keyboard but the mpg wont move y axis both ways.
    Im leaning towards the controller being the problem as mach3 will let it be commanded to move only the faulty y axis in that one direction using the MPG, even with all motors disabled and pins/ports removed in settings. But no movement with keyboard without motors enabled.
    I just dont understand wtf is going on.
    I really would like to use this MPG and save a lot of walking back and forth to the PC.
    Any ideas or a solution??
    Running a usbmach 5 axis board with mpg connect that works like a champ in every other way but this damn MPG!
    Yes I did find a fix but not like you would think . You are on the right track ,my issue was with the controller card usb5 mach the driver did not match the break out board. They are bootleg drivers so it is very hard to find the right driver for the right b.o.b. the website drufel cnc was the best place I could find info on these types of b.o.b. I went ahead and spent the money for a ESS Smoothstepper and all my problems went away the MPG works great so that proves to me that everything with my mpg was fine and all my stepper motors were fine it was the break out board

Page 1 of 2 12