585,930 active members*
3,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 20 2345614
    A lot of beer gets 'drunk' on this thread.

:cheers:

Has anyone found a cheap way of finding steppers (> 400 oz), power supplies, controllers without going offshore?

Andy

Red face New_BEE

Hi all,

My name is Barry, live in Moss Vale (Southern Highlands NSW 2577)

I'm a newbe to CNCzone have just built a small mill for PCB 280x200x120 (no plans) made out of shop front aluminum i picked up from our local revolve centre (tip) and MDF, SS Draw slides, 1/4" threaded rod, the stepper motors are out of an old A3 flatbed plotter (pre 1981) still waiting for the driver electronics ordered from oatleyelectronics.com.au, have driven the motors from the plotter electronics moves each axis qutie nicley. I do have one question, the motors are 6 wire unibipolar 4volt 7.5ohm phase (no current rating), I want to drive these motors from a AT PSU (12v) can anyone tell me what size current limiting resistors i would use??
    (have built this unit on a very tight budget <$60 using only basic tools ie: hacksaw, woodsaw, battery drill and files)
    good to see alot of auzzies on this site.

Cheers
    Baz.

Welcome Barry,

Sometimes the best machines are made from whatever and however, be it, made from rubber hose and exhaust pipe, or in your case a shop front. We will no doubt enjoy your posts and we encourage you to post some pics of your machine and keep us informed on your progress. From a personal point of view, I would like to catch up with you at some stage as our facility is down in Oak Flats, south of Wollongong, only a stone throw from Mossy.

Take Care

Dave :cheers:
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In reply to barry,
    Someone please correct me if Im wrong!!! but if (I=v/r) then amps = 4/7.5 which equals 0.533 I calculated the resistance needed to be 7.5 Dont take this as gospel because i have been wrong before. I cant remember where i got it from but i have a "stepper resistor calculator" program on my pc. If you want a copy, email me at [email protected] and ill reply it on to you (455kb). I hope this helped.

Another Brisbanite

Hi All,

Good to see a few Aussies on here, especially Queenslanders!

I am from Brisbane and am lurking, trying to pick up some info. At some stage I would like to build a 2 axis table to run a oxy/acet cutter.

Cheers,

Damo.

Damo,

Welcome to the Zone. I look forward to your posts. :cheers:
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Kookaburra
    Damo,

Welcome to the Zone. I look forward to your posts. :cheers:
    Thanks Dave. Just trying to find my feet with this stuff at the moment. Once I get to the planning stage i'll be picking your brains no doubt :-)

Damo.

Talking

Complete noob from Cranbourne Victoria here.
    :wave:
    Wow, I was surprised at how many Aussies are here. Fantastic. :cheers:

Hey guys - Jim here, currently in Cairns and slowly working (sailing) south. Will keep checkin' in to see whos where - and maybe we can toss back a few brews. So far Brisbane seems the closest member - Will drop in as I have time. Cheers, Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hi Guys,

Lots of Aussies here....

Noob from Mitcham Vic here. Details of current project at http://www.gimbal.com.au/content.aspx?cnc-mill

Cheers,

Pat

Hello everybody,

Brad from sydney (inner west) here. Been lurking about in here for a while.

I am mainly interested in some sort of 2 1/2 axis router, say 800 by 200mm, able to cut up to 3-4mm aluminium to under 0.5mm. Oh and it should be real cheap, but super high quality as well.

anyway, I'll be lurking about in here on and off. And for those of you who have built something, more pictures (please? pretty please?)

Cheers,
    Brad

Brad,

What systems are you looking at to drive the machine,

Ie: rails, operating system (mach 3,etc).

You know cheap and accurate just don't work in the same sentance, although, my machine is made out of wood and cuts 14mm at 350mm/min to a 0.02mm accuracy (1/2 though), which is really quite good for what i paid to make it.

Tell us some thoughts on how you want to go, gantry,etc above and we will throw you some pointers

/Mikie

mikie,

Don't really have any preferance for what sort of machine it is, so long as it works.

Probably would go with easy to build (for a beginner), wood sounds good to start with. I have a general liking for open source (software tendancies showing through...). I found this place following a link from the aussie guy who is putting together drive control systems.

And since you mentioned 0.02mm, well that would be a lot better than I would need in a first machine

Did you design your own machine? Have you posted some pistures I could have a look at?

Cheers,
    Brad

Hey Brad,

Pictures are under mikie in the pictures section.
    I am still making up my personal web site, it's taking a while as i am trying new stuff and have a lot of other sections that I wish to include, ie model aircraft.

I designed it myself, faults and all. It is really a test bed for the bigger unit, which allows me to see what works well and gives me the basics for using such a machine, ie learnign gcode, drawing stuff and making a working file from it, etc

This link should take you to the pics
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/member.php/uid/1464

/Michael

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at this site getting information for some time and I've only just seen this Aussie thread. Doh!

I'm on the Gold Coast, I've already built my XYZ table, driven by 3 x 138oz Step-Syn motors and the Discrete drivers from www.pminmo.com (Open Source boards on this site).

I have only been doing 2D stuff. I use Coreldraw for the design, RamsGold for toolpaths and Turbocnc to run the cnc.

I want to learn how to do 3D stuff but don't really know where to get the info to make the design jump from 2D to 3D. For example if I wanted to make a Lithograph of an image, how do I generate the 3D gcode (I know there are programs out there that do just that, but I'm only using the Lithograph as a 3D example)

My knowledge is limited as this is not my field of speciality, I'm actually a Naturopath and this is my hobby.

Thanks everyone.

David

Hi from Brunswick Vic,

Ive been watching, reading and following links. I think Jgro's design will be a good starting point for me.
    I make furniture and want to build an efficiency tool.
    bit worried that I'll spend forever making a snail.

Ive had it in my head to try and make a cnc thing for a while, thinking in the back of my mind it would be crazy to try. but well with this site I'm nearly ready to start to try.

thanks guys
    Matt

Matt

Welcome from Montrose.....

Enjoy the discovery process and the challenges that go with it.

Just a word of warning : Only start if you need another obsession

There are quite a few active Melbourne guys on the zone.

Cheers

Andy

I have tried to contact everyone on this thread. My apologies if I missed you.

For anyone who reads this and lives in Aus or NZ, please feel free to email me at [email protected] with your location and I will attempt to co-ordinate.

Cheers

Andy

@ mikie,

I'm looking at doing a Jgro for a first machine. Of to post for a mentor in the other thread.

Don't suppose anyone here could help me cut out the panels for the Jgro on their router could they?

cheers,
    Brad

Brad

If you want you can send me an email to [email protected] with your location and I will ask on your behalf.

(Refer thread above yours)

Andy

Page 4 of 20 2345614