Login
Page 18 of 20 81617181920

Re: Aussie members

Hi Alex,

Welcome aboard!

Rob.

Hi Paul,
    My machine is the 3040T... I bought Mach3 to drive it and have yet to do anything other than the test sample that came with the machine.
    As I am very new to CNC routers, I have spent a lot of time trawling for setup info for both the machine and Mach3. I am running it via a Warp9D USB Stepper on an older XP Laptop (with "apparently" no issues as the USB stepper compensates for the lack of printer port. I also had the main controller board fail, so I bought a direct replacement from YooHoo CNC, evidently they build the original machines which most of the other suppliers copy...
    My main intention is to use the machine initially to make panels for my 747 cockpit (simulator) build . The panels will be made from acrylic, painted with black primer and Boeing brown topcoats, then the lettering and indicator lines will be "etched" by the machine to allow backlighting to be installed.
    Once I get some time to I will try a sample panel to see how the machine goes... I am hoping to take some photos of this process so I can document my build...

Best regards,

Rob,
    Thank you for the welcome... Hopefully I can get the time to help out and share some info as I go.

Cheers,

Alex B

Hi Alex,
    Sorry I did not welcome you, just jumped straight in.
    So VH-ASB
    I take it that the machine is cutting to scale and a 3-4-5 triangle has all the right angles, Z is perp.

That just leaves the question : is there anything that you need assistance with.
    Could I ask for a link for the controller cards? Was there a plugin for Mach to be able to see the usb card?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by asboyd View Post
    Hi Paul,
    My machine is the 3040T... I bought Mach3 to drive it and have yet to do anything other than the test sample that came with the machine.
    As I am very new to CNC routers, I have spent a lot of time trawling for setup info for both the machine and Mach3. I am running it via a Warp9D USB Stepper on an older XP Laptop (with "apparently" no issues as the USB stepper compensates for the lack of printer port. I also had the main controller board fail, so I bought a direct replacement from YooHoo CNC, evidently they build the original machines which most of the other suppliers copy...
    My main intention is to use the machine initially to make panels for my 747 cockpit (simulator) build . The panels will be made from acrylic, painted with black primer and Boeing brown topcoats, then the lettering and indicator lines will be "etched" by the machine to allow backlighting to be installed.
    Once I get some time to I will try a sample panel to see how the machine goes... I am hoping to take some photos of this process so I can document my build...

Best regards,

Rob,
    Thank you for the welcome... Hopefully I can get the time to help out and share some info as I go.

Cheers,

Alex B
    Hi
    Alex

I'm on the northern beaches , manly way , I also make 737 panels on my machine. Been doing them for a number of years now. Any questions or if you wanna come over for a look just let us know.
    Cheers
    Riche.

hi Jason here from Brisbane (Wacol). I have been working with my cnc for about 4-5 years now have a ART 7000x( 2000mmx7000mm bed) been thinking about upgrading my enroute software to pro so i can do some proper 3d milling. mostly cut aluminum composite but also do a lot of aluminum and acrylic work.
    so if you need some one with a bigger machine give me a yell

Hey all you Aussies...I've just joined the forum looking to start my own CNC plasma table build, so will be scouring the many threads for help and Ideas...If there are some really good threads let me know !!

I'm in Northern Subs of melb and get way too bored inside so need a new project to start and this seems like the one...other than a home made pan brake !!

Anyways..look forward to browsing through the myriad of posts.

Cheers

Crazyk

g'day Aussie zoners,

I'm on the Fraser Coast in Queensland.

I've caught this cnc bug and am amazed at some of the stuff these guys get up to.

So far I've got a HF30 Mill Drill (long column), Alibre Program, 4 axis kit from Stepperworld (Sanyo Denki .18 amp motors - these motors may be too small but I'll upgrade them later if the kit will allow it) ...........and alot of big intentions.

I'd like to do a retrofit on the HF30 and am interested in contact with someone who has done this. Yes I see guys have converted these and done build pictures in the forums.

Who do you guys use for supply of ballscrews, gears and belts ??

My intention is to use 1604 ballscrews - possibly using a double ballnut on the X axis - gears and belts to maintain my handles until I gain proficiency with cnc. 16mm ballscrews to provide clearance under tables.

Eventually I would incorporate spindle/speed control - but will stick with changing belts initially - also a tool changer would be a distant dream.

Perhaps a folder for each of the states, within the Aus/NZ forum group, would help us more quickly find local cncers.

Let me know what you think. Let me know your good and bad Australian supplier experiences.

see post 305 for some suplier links

Paul

Hello All,

Darren here in Melton South... and a complete newbie to CNC.

I have gutted a Gerber 48 (1200x800) and fitted with new steppers (N34XY, N23Z) and Chinese 2.2kw spindle w/VFD. Control box consist of EM806 drivers @ 68VDC, Ocean Controls BOB (KTA-205) with Ethernet Smoothstepper. So far the control box is powering up fine, but have not mated to PC or Router yet. I will use an old XP box to run the show, and plan to use Mach, but not sure what CAM software I will use, any suggestions?

I plan to put it all together this weekend and have a play, with my first planned project to foam cut my work toolbox, anyone here done this?

Cheers Daz

Hi Daz. Welcome.
    I'm Mig from Boronia.

I recommend you take a look at linux cnc. I gave up on XP and Mach. Really impressed with the Linux package.

For CAM I am using HSM express which is a free plug in for SolidWorks. I'm using it for 2.5D mill. May not be the best solution for routing.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Has anyone successfully run their cnc systems of a Mac OSX platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by twobobbwana View Post
    g'day Aussie zoners,

I'm on the Fraser Coast in Queensland.

I've caught this cnc bug and am amazed at some of the stuff these guys get up to.

So far I've got a HF30 Mill Drill (long column), Alibre Program, 4 axis kit from Stepperworld (Sanyo Denki .18 amp motors - these motors may be too small but I'll upgrade them later if the kit will allow it) ...........and alot of big intentions.

I'd like to do a retrofit on the HF30 and am interested in contact with someone who has done this. Yes I see guys have converted these and done build pictures in the forums.

Who do you guys use for supply of ballscrews, gears and belts ??

My intention is to use 1604 ballscrews - possibly using a double ballnut on the X axis - gears and belts to maintain my handles until I gain proficiency with cnc. 16mm ballscrews to provide clearance under tables.

Eventually I would incorporate spindle/speed control - but will stick with changing belts initially - also a tool changer would be a distant dream.

Perhaps a folder for each of the states, within the Aus/NZ forum group, would help us more quickly find local cncers.

Let me know what you think. Let me know your good and bad Australian supplier experiences.
    Go double ball nuts on all axes. Available from Linearmotionbearings2008 on ebay. Google the name, if you get an empty store, delete the .au from the url bar and hit enter.

Is your mill a round column mill?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by migrusch View Post
    Hi Daz. Welcome.
    I'm Mig from Boronia.

I recommend you take a look at linux cnc. I gave up on XP and Mach. Really impressed with the Linux package.

For CAM I am using HSM express which is a free plug in for SolidWorks. I'm using it for 2.5D mill. May not be the best solution for routing.

Hi Mig> Thanks for the welcome...
    I have considered Linux but am hesitant as I am not familiar with Linux and did not want to add another learning curve in the Mix. It would be easy enough have my box dual boot and give a whirl tho. 2.5D would suit for the moment as cutting foam for tool boxes with be what I will start with, 3 boxes in the que.

Hi Dazz,
    have a look at camBam CamBam CNC Software - Video Tutorials

Paul

Boronia now that could be handy. up in the Basin..

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    Boronia now that could be handy. up in the Basin..
    What kind of equipment are you running?

I built this just need to get the electrics going switches are a problem at the moment getting there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jscnc.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	253020

hello mate, i also got cncrouter 6040 from carvingcnc.I installed Mach3.
    Now looking for CADCAM software to create text,design,sketch then to /gcode .
    wondering which software you use with Mach3. any suggestions or Ideas?
    I am from western Syd.
    thanks in advance.

Hi Bing,

I had a look thu you posts. Did you manage to sort the machine steps and direction of travel?
    Regarding you current question, CADCAM should be looked at at two sepperat steps between design and cutter movement.
    There are two (rule of thumb) concepts.
    first is the tool follows (a profile)or is confined to a closed line ( a pocket) This 2.5D
    second is the tool follows a surface . This 3D
    As I said RULE OF THUMB.
    There are ways to generate gcode that will let 2.5D code that will machine a slope. The example here is Vectric type programme, Cambam will also let you do this as well.
    the two types of COMMON file formats to make tool paths are DXF and STL

So the 2.5 Dprocess is
    paper and pen... do a mudmap with dimension. will it fit in the machine ..can I hold it in place .. yes

next step is to create a DXF. Auto CAD is what I use. Here you can inport txt etc. Now at this point it is very important to keep in mind tool diameter. If you want a square internal corner you are out of luck. NO round tool will cut a square internat corner. So put a radius on internal corners ( just a tad bigger than the too radius) Out side square corners can do.

save as a dxf so it can be imported ino the CAM package. This is where you tell the tool which side of the line to cut, the tool diam and the speed, the depth of cut and which bits to cut first. Now I will say that to cut a sques with a hole milled in the centre one does not cut the square first unless you have inserted holding tabs when you did the toolpath. CAMBAM and Vectric can both do this . Save this as a NC or TXT.
    I must mention that drawing units must be the same all they way thru this proces, remember 1 inch is 25.4mm we get 25.4:1 scaling errors.

theory over. The best way to learn is to have a go, one tend to remeber the mistakes one makes and forget the lecture.
    So if you have somthing that you want to start with, I will work thu it with you and the others can join in. There will be lots of talk as to which application is better and that is outside the scope of this offer. this is logical steps 101

Paul
    please excuse typos holding glass of red with other hand

Re: I'm in Sydney, Chatswood

Robbycar,

Who did you get your conversion gear from ???

I'm also converting a HF30.

Are you going steppers coupled to ballscrews or cogs and belts ??

Page 18 of 20 81617181920