585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 19 of 20 917181920

Re: Aussie members

twobobbwana,

I got all the stuff on ebay. I went with timing belts and 2:1 drive from steppers to ballscrews on x & y axes. For z I just converted the drill press lever with timing pulleys.

But, when it was finished I was not happy with the result. Because of the round column, you lose settings every time you adjust the column. This pretty much defeats the purpose of CNC.

In the end, I sold this mill and bought a Sieg X3 with Promica factory installed. This is a much superior unit.

I would really counsel you against using a round column mill.

Pay a few dollars more for a square column dovetail z axis, then you can get heaps of z travel and not lose registration in x&y.

My thoughts anyway for what it is worth.

I am in Sydney at Belfield if you want to take a look at my setup.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by bingaom View Post
    hello mate, i also got cncrouter 6040 from carvingcnc.I installed Mach3.
    Now looking for CADCAM software to create text,design,sketch then to /gcode .
    wondering which software you use with Mach3. any suggestions or Ideas?
    I am from western Syd.
    thanks in advance.

Hi,

I use Sheetcam for all my 2.5D machining, along with Mach3. I do my drawing in DraftSight (Free Autocad clone), then use Sheetcam to convert to G-Code, then Mach3 to do the cutting. Have a look at this to see how it is done.

Taig Mill Tooling Rack
    Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi people. I'm a 2 year beginner in CNC. Using solidworks and solidcam. I make plenty of parts on my 900 x 600 router and am now looking at converting a large floor standing manual mill to cnc. I am bayside Brisbane and always keen to talk/meet others so I can really see how much I don't know lol

Mostyn Cafe & Customs
    Builds and Parts
    Mostyn Cafe n Customs Homepage Mostyn

Robbycar,

Thanks for the intel on cnc hardware. I've been looking at linearmotionbearings2008 store on ebay and am amazed at prices for ball screws. Set of three 1605 C7 will cost me $157 delivered from China. I'll persist and look for double nuts just to overkill the whole deal.

Agree with your comments about the round column mill but it's what I've got. I recall seeing an article in Model Engineers Workshop about addressing the issue. I'll investigate this further.

My HF30/RF30 will get me into cnc though. I might then investigate one of the better square column mills.

My stepper motors may also prove inadequate (Sanyo Denki, .18 A) but I'll run the cogs at a 3:1 ratio and swap for bigger steppers if required.

Most of the cogs are on order, material to mount cogs and motors on hand. I'll order the ballscrews when I settle on a package and then it's applying myself to the mechanical conversion

I'm on the Fraser Coast in Queensland but, if I find myself in Sydney, I'd certainly like a look at your mill.

Quote Originally Posted by twobobbwana View Post
    Robbycar,

Thanks for the intel on cnc hardware. I've been looking at linearmotionbearings2008 store on ebay and am amazed at prices for ball screws. Set of three 1605 C7 will cost me $157 delivered from China. I'll persist and look for double nuts just to overkill the whole deal.

Agree with your comments about the round column mill but it's what I've got. I recall seeing an article in Model Engineers Workshop about addressing the issue. I'll investigate this further.

My HF30/RF30 will get me into cnc though. I might then investigate one of the better square column mills.

My stepper motors may also prove inadequate (Sanyo Denki, .18 A) but I'll run the cogs at a 3:1 ratio and swap for bigger steppers if required.

Most of the cogs are on order, material to mount cogs and motors on hand. I'll order the ballscrews when I settle on a package and then it's applying myself to the mechanical conversion

I'm on the Fraser Coast in Queensland but, if I find myself in Sydney, I'd certainly like a look at your mill.
    Have a look here . He is in Melb Aust..
    CNC AND CUPCAKE WORLD items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Chai (linearmotionbearings2008) has double nuts available. Just message him on ebay and he'll do you a custom package.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

pippin88,

I contacted linearmotionbearings2008 and a 1605 x 450mm & 1605 x 900mm with double nuts have been ordered. At a delivered price of $104.30 Aus I couldn't dither longer on the deal.

While the ballscrews are in transit I am working on the mounts for motors. Then order the belts when I know their lengths.

Thank you for the advice.

Just chasing two more T5, 10mm belt, 60 tooth timing pulleys as AusXmods didn't have all that I wanted and will take a while to recieve more stock.

Lots to do though.

I got a nice mill at a great price recently and am looking at converting it to CNC. Hafco unit. Has anyone seen threads with a bit of detail along these lines?

Cafe Racer and Custom Bike Builds and parts

I answer this is a really busy forum lol. Still if anyone is interested in observing/participating in the upgrading of my mill hit me up. Got ball screws and am waiting on servos. Having my cnc router already has been extremely helpful in the build

Cafe Racer and Custom Bike Builds and parts

Hi All,
    Peter from Neptunes Guitars here and I am getting a small CNC machine either Open Builds OX or ShapeOko 2. I am a guitar maker and really need one of these to speed up production and to save my 45yr old body falling apart from RSI parts construction . I am trying my best to research the options and so far I am leaning towards the Open Builds option with Peter Homann G540 Geko kit. I have a max Budget of around $1700.00. Any feed back for a newb would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Peter

Hi Peter,

The G540 is arguably the best solution for small machines. The G540 can drive steppers to a maximum of 3.5A/ph.

The kit of parts I sell, contain the main components to put a controller together. The example wiring diagram on my site shows what is involved. You don't need to wire it up identically, just use the parts of the diagram that you need.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

The best thing you can do when starting out is ask lots of questions.

Cheers,

Peter

Aussie members

Thanks Peter for the info as far as the steppers would the nema 23 269oz be to heavy on the z axis on an Open Build Ox 1000mm X axis if so can the kit be changed to 3 269oz and 1 150 oz. 1.2kg down to .7kg just seams a lot. I'm a complete beginner at this but have a engineering mind so hit me with all the info you can guys
    Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Peter,

Yes I can substitute the motor and refund the difference.
    The size of the Z motor also depends on the weight it is lifting. It is best to go with what the designer of the router suggests.
    some times larger motors are not always better. Larger motors have lower speeds and are also more expensive.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey all,

I'm Ben from Melbourne, Australia. Currently studying my last year of Industrial Design with the intent of designing a new laser cutter that is (hopefully) more affordable and accessible to students and creators alike.
    I've come here to learn and soak in as much as I can and hope I can get a helping hand with any questions that I'll have.

Cheers!

Welcome Ben I guess we're in the same boat but I think you have better grasp on CNC operation than I do look forward to the journey with you
    Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too many from SA. I'm Bob from lower mid nth SA. Im new to cnc's but picked up a cheapie a couple of years ago and been trying to learn it on and off ever since lol. Getting there slowly
    Regards Bob

Hi Im Colin from the limestone coast im very new to cnc's got a 6040z from china just got it up and running with YouTube help but need help finding out what bits to buyand where for it any help out there ? Thank you
    :wave:

Hi, Simon from Perth WA. Jumped on to get reviews of a 5 axis 3040 and glad I did. Now trying to toss up between motorising an RF-45 clone from Machineryhouse (the Optimum RF-46 I think), or going a big floor standing Hafco and sorting the drives out for that, or going for a custom build gantry with high speed spindle.

Hi, My name is Brad from Mt Gambier SA & im addicted to CNC. I have a 1200x900 CNC Plasma/Router table I built a couple of years ago. I am currently converting a Hafco Mill Drill to CNC as well as collecting parts for the next build which will be most likely be a high def router table.

Ha It's kinda like an addiction,I have deliberately distracted myself so I don't randomly build another one.

Page 19 of 20 917181920