584,812 active members*
5,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > "Project Second Wind" New to me DM1007
Page 1 of 2 12

"Project Second Wind" New to me DM1007

I picked up a nice little mill a while back and I finally got the time to dig into it. I'm pretty new to CNC mills so this should be and adventure. I have a CNC router and built a half dozen 3dprinters so I'm not a complete novice. I have lurked around this forum for a long time just reading some of the projects and being entertained, its finally my turn to dive in. I also have worked in the manufacturing field specifically programming test equipment for circuit board manufacturing and have troubleshooted my fair share of hardware issues servo drives, motors etc.... Hopefully I will be able to use some of those skills on this project.

This mill itself looks to be in pretty good shape, I bought it sight unseen and not powered but the price reflected that. Should be able to get it powered up and tested in the next few days. I'm not very hopeful, I know finding parts for it would be difficult and not practical. This might end up being a retrofit but from what I have researched the control for these mills were pretty decent.

Thanks for looking.

Re: "Project Second Wind" New to me DM1007

Wow that tool changer! What are the milling dimensions on that thing? Looks just like my dm2800, 8" X 6" y 7" z

I think the travel is what its named after 1007 10x7 and I think 10 on the Z. From what I can tell from research its based on the 2800, the 2900 is the 2800 with tool changer and the 1007 is the 2900 with they Dyna control. However It does look the like they moved the Y motor to the rear of the machine and is in the electronics cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by funford View Post
    I think the travel is what its named after 1007 10x7 and I think 10 on the Z. From what I can tell from research its based on the 2800, the 2900 is the 2800 with tool changer and the 1007 is the 2900 with they Dyna control. However It does look the like they moved the Y motor to the rear of the machine and is in the electronics cabinet.

It's giving me buyers remorse lol. Good luck on retrofitting it if you go that route. I wound up having to replace everything.

Well it didn't take long to run into some issues. First problem was the main enclosure fan. Soon as I gave it power it screeched so loud it up set the dog and he started howling. This was minor looks like at some point an over zealous fork lift driver gave the out side gard some extra love. This was quickly fixed and I moved on. The system started to boot and immediately I got a over voltage error. Luckily I have a manual for it and begin to troubleshoot. It looks like the the voltage for u58 from pin 1-10 should be in the 2.6 range. Mine was 3.1.Attachment 452514

This can be adjust with pot6 and rotating it clock wise.

Attachment 452516

It then got passed the error but then I smelled buring! There are two very larg resistors that were so hot they were glowing red.

Attachment 452518

I have no idea what these are for, the manual discusses if the shunt restor over heats check dc wire and pot6, naturally since I already adjusted the pot I thought that was the issue. But thoes didn't really look like shunt resistors the look more like a breaking resistor for the spindal motor. The pot was a dead end so I looked elsewhere. I removed the rear plate for the transformer and discovered it needed to be wired for input voltage. It was wired for 208 but I have 240. Now it all makes sense why I needed to adjust the pot down. I will rewire it today and im sure I will need to adjust the pot again and post an update.

That looks just like my old power supply resistors. should be a 150-170v dc power supply. I think those resistors are for the "axis shunt" or emergency stop, when that happens you will have a SSR that turns off power supply power and another that dumps the rest of the power into those two resistors. At least that's how I think it works.

Hmm.... excess power ??, that lines up with the transformer being wired incorrectly. That's good news.

Hmm.... excess power ??, that lines up with the transformer being wired incorrectly. That's good news.
    Maybe it was their idea of a faster way to stop the axis motors? Kinda weird, I wouldn't think those 3 capacitors on their own wouldn't store enough power to do much but who knows. Might mean the difference between a broken finger and a cut off finger if that ever happened lol.

Congrats on the buy. The DM1007 is a hell of a lot of machine for the size and weight, and hopefully you got it for a really good price. I hope it's got all the bits to use the original Dyna 4M control - it's a sorely underrated control and very user friendly despite being 25 years old.

I'm going to do my best to the original control to work but it would seam there are some gremlins.

So rewiring the transformer fixed the resistor over heating and as suspected the voltage to the board was really low as a result. A quick adjustment of the pot and I was back in business. I was able to get it to boot to the menu screen with no errors. The first attempt to home the system resulted in a "limit switch always touched" error, I was able to track it down to a bad x axis limit through a nifty PLC Diag screen. I hooked up a temp sensor and was able to get it to home reliably. All seem to function well for a few days of fumbling through menus learning the interface besides the spindle, seems like I could turn it on and never turn it off. I'm impressed with how quiet this thing moves including the spindle. Then it was all down hill from there, suddenly when it try's to home I will get x y z ok then "E365 DVR: Position tolerance - overflow (16)" it will disable all the drives with red lights. I'm not sure if this is happening cause the spindle wont home now? I have voltage 160DC going to the spinal driver but no status light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201122-102046_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	452652

The control tends to want to throw 100 errors if it throws 1. That's the nature of the beast, but usually once you resolve the core issue they all clear. Do you have the Dyna 4M machine control & programming manual? It has troubleshooting tips for all the error codes in the back. For E365 it's probably a faulty servo encoder or some other axis encoder error.

If it were me I would reach out to Roberto at Dyna Mechatronics (the contact info on the website is correct). He's an incredibly friendly and helpful guy and has a bucketload of tips for debugging controller issues, as well as being able to source spare parts and can hook you up with manuals if you don't have them.

Yeah I have seen that before where the system will rarely tell you whats wrong with it. One error will give you many.

Not sure what control I have. This is whats in the cabinet and in the pc based front panel.

Name:	Screenshot_20201122-105238_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	465.7 KB 
ID:	452658

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	Screenshot_20201122-104404_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	452660

That's the standard Dyna 4M PC-based control. Contact Roberto and ask for some guidance, he can probably help you figure out which encoder has had it and source a replacement for you. If you can get to this stage, the controller is definitely worth fixing as it will save you an enormous amount of time and money versus a retrofit.

Thanks Sun God I emailed the link on the site.

So after some great info from Roberto from Dyna I was able to diagnose my issues to a bad AMC servo driver. Apparently you should always have a red led on the drives status light until the PLC commands the spindle on then it turns green. This is different then the axis drives which remain green always after initialized. I would only get the red light about 5% of the time. I found the exact part number on Ebay and when I searched the history to see what the average price I couldn't find one that sold in the last few years. I took this a sign and bought it, I probably paid way to much but it comes with a 1 year warranty so whatever. I might be at my limit for replacing electronics I'm not going to throw thousands of dollars at an antiquated system. The motors run so quiet and smooth it would be a shame to replace them, that and how good everyone says the control is the only think keeping me motivated to revive it.

Once I got the new drive I had to match the dip switches and remove a zero ohm resistor at location J1. This changes the inhibit configuration. There is also 4 pots that Roberto said where set at the factory so I didn't bother with them. I'm just gambling they didn't get adjusted from the previous owner.

Sucess!!! once I got the new drive installed everything homed and zeroed like it should no errors. I now had full control of the spindle could run programs and the ATC even works!

Now that I have motion the next step is figure out the auto lube system. I noticed that all the ways are pretty dry I had excess oil in the bottom of the Y ball screw casting valley. Unfortunately this means taking most of the machine apart. I'm kind of glad I did I found some dried oil that was plugging some oil passages in the Gibs and other areas. The system could use a good cleaning and evaluation anyways. I was pleased to find all the surfaces still had the flaking marks so it looks like that machine had very little use. The Y ball screw has a little play in in compared to the X, I'm regretting I didn't check the back lash before I took things apart. This would have been a great time to replace it if need be. Anyone know what the acceptable back lash should be? Also do you think this control has compensation that can be adjusted?

I also took the down time opportunity and took the hard drive out and imaged it for a back up. The image was a whopping 18mb and looks like it runs on Dos6. I bought a IDE to SD card adapter and plan on running the OS off the flash drive. This will also allow me to load G-Code on to the root of the flash drive and bypass the floppy.

Seems like a nice project.... I've been pondering something like one of these for my brother.

I have had a good time digging through my 4400m. Dyna made some nice iron

The Y ball screw has a little play in in compared to the X, I'm regretting I didn't check the back lash before I took things apart. This would have been a great time to replace it if need be. Anyone know what the acceptable back lash should be? Also do you think this control has compensation that can be adjusted?
    Yes, there is a parameter to set backlash comp for every axis, I think under the system params menu.

I also took the down time opportunity and took the hard drive out and imaged it for a back up. The image was a whopping 18mb and looks like it runs on Dos6. I bought a IDE to SD card adapter and plan on running the OS off the flash drive. This will also allow me to load G-Code on to the root of the flash drive and bypass the floppy.
    I would strongly recommend against this. Not only is constantly removing/reattaching your operating system a terrible idea for data security (even if you have a backup of the OS, do you really want to risk losing all your WCS offsets, tool table, and local edits to your programs?), it would also be exceptionally annoying just from a day-to-day usability perspective. It means you would have to shut the machine down every time you want to upload a new program, which might mean shutting the machine down for just a very minor change, and having to re-home the machine on startup.

Replacing the HDD with some form of solid state media is very advisable, I have done it using a PATA DOM unit, which is basically plug and play. Taking a backup of your OS is also incredibly sensible. But my suggestion is to buy and install one of the GOTEK floppy to USB drive adapters and replace the floppy drive with that, then use it for your day-to-day file upload/download use.

Page 1 of 2 12