584,805 active members*
5,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AUTO-ZERO PROGRAM NOT WORKING

Hi,
    I have been trying for several weeks to set up the auto-zero function in Mach 3. I have tried several scripts, which I am sure work ok (from the amount of positive comments)
    My spindle is earthed, so I only use 1 cable to the touch-plate. On the diagnostics screen the digitize light lights up when the plate touches the bit. But, when I run the script, the spindle actually moves up.
    I have changed my screenset and put an indicator light beside the auto-zero button. I have noticed that this light flickers very briefly for no apparent reason. Does this mean that I have a short somewhere?
    Electronics is not my strongest suit, so I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
    Gareth

Re: AUTO-ZERO PROGRAM NOT WORKING

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth52 View Post
    I have changed my screenset and put an indicator light beside the auto-zero button. I have noticed that this light flickers very briefly for no apparent reason. Does this mean that I have a short somewhere?
    That probably means you have electrical noise. What kind of breakout board you have? Does it have optocouplers on the inputs? What is the input logic voltage?

P. S. I'm sure someone will soon tell you to use "debounce" function in Mach3 settings. While it MIGHT help in some situations, it only masks the underlying noise problem instead of fixing it.

Thanks for your reply. I can't remember the make but i know that inputs and outputs are optically isolated. i believe the voltage in question is 5 v.
    The debounce function is worth a try,but as you say, it does not solve the underlying cause. I would like to b e able to do that.

Regards,
    Gareth

Debounce does not apply to the probe input in Mach3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

so it can't be that. Do you think it is worth trying a shielded cable?

I had a LOT of trouble with background electrical noise on a GRBL machine affecting the homing (same as probing). Shielded cable made a huge difference. Just ground the shielding material or it will be in vain! I used a little $70 oscilloscope from ebay to "see" the noise in order to diagnose the problem and see it fixed. I also ended up putting isolation transformers on the microcontroller supply, but that probably doesn't apply to your problem. This was all occurring in an electrically noisy factory when 3 sister machines were on the same circuit...

Thanks for that info. i have ordered some shielded cable.

Gareth

[B]SORTED

I used shielded cable, grounding the shield to the controller case and the problem was cured.

thanks for all inputs.

regards,
    Gareth