584,861 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Sick of Tormach's poor customer service
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Sick of Tormach's poor customer service

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The possible problem with a group fully controlled by Tormach is that they would be highly motivated to suppress reports of problems with their products. .
    True , but for the most part it seems everyone is happy with the machines and the software . It would be a good means for feedback , especially when it comes to the software updates . They put a lot of time in creating the hub which we are supposed to trust and store our files on their controlled server , yet they can't create a simple block delete button . On the other hand I suppose your right , they wouldn't want to here that kind of feedback lol

What is the issue with "trusting" the Tormach Hub? I can't speak for others but my use of the Hub is to be able to test hand written gcode while sitting in front of the TV and without fear of breaking tools or damaging my machine. Certainly you do not have to store anything secret on the Hub.

It is possibly just me but why would a block delete button be more useful than improvements to the toolpath display or improved probing or improved T/C tapping or...?

I didn't say there were wasn't room for other improvements and they should have came before going heavy into creating a hub in my opinion
    block delete is a commonly used item in the industry , and I'v e never seen a machine without it . I skip blocks all the time but I have to edit each time to add or remove a couple / vs just clicking a button . linuxcnc has it so why can't they add a button when they can create something as elaborate as the hub

Its not so much a trust thing with the hub but my machines are mine my programs are mine and I dont need any of it linked to anyone else's server for any reason what so ever . I just think there is too much cloud crap with companies these days , and no one knows who is monitoring what for whatever reason they are . Maybe it's just an old school thing but thats the way I see it

I can see the use for the hub for verifying things for some guys , but I've got simulators for that

apologies to the op , the thread got sidetracked on you

If they sold the machines with that software then thats the machine they need to help with
    That's not how it works with software -- the support for software *is* the upgrades. If the fix is in the latest version, the support response for "I am seeing a problem" is going to be "the fix is in the latest version" anyway. And if the fix isn't in the latest version, any possible future fix would be in ... an upcoing latest version.

If you care about the ability to get support and fixes for your device, you must stay up to date with software updates, and live with whatever disruptions that causes. There simply is no other way. Software has changed the world, for both better and worse!

why would the op's mechanical problem need a software upgrade in order for them to answer a question or offer some help ? Like he said software wasn't going to fix his problem

Regardless it hasn't been that long since tormach crossed over from mach to pathpilot with a completely different operating system . Lots of guys have cad/cam and all sorts of software set up on their windows based mills and they don't want to change that . I'm sure they could answer a question if they choose to , but obviously they won't .
    I understand that's just the way things are in this world and after the money is long spent we all become nobodies , it kind off crumby

Like I said already , technically they owe us nothing after the warranty is up after a yr , there's nothing carved in stone other than a 1 yr warranty , but it's still good business to at least answer a few questions if they can . I honestly don't have high expectations of any company and I'm not looking to bash them , but shortly after buying 3 machines my experience with support wasn't all that good , I don't forget that and I know I'm not unique in that sense . They have great products and that is the reason I will buy more , at the same time good support would make that desire to buy even stronger

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    ...block delete is a commonly used item in the industry , and I'v e never seen a machine without it . I skip blocks all the time but I have to edit each time to add or remove a couple / vs just clicking a button . linuxcnc has it so why can't they add a button when they can create something as elaborate as the hub
    Well I wrote a mod for YOU a little over a year ago. Did you ever try it???

Regardless it hasn't been that long since tormach crossed over from mach to pathpilot with a completely different operating system . Lots of guys have cad/cam and all sorts of software set up on their windows based mills and they don't want to change that . I'm sure they could answer a question if they choose to , but obviously they won't .
    PathPilot was announced in 2015, so in my book that's quite a long time in terms of technology/progress.
    If you remember back to the old days of the Tormach Mach installation they actually discouraged direct access to windows on the machine. I wasn't prepared to run anything else on the machine other than the windows calculator because it was all too flaky.

By the way, the OP said the issue was electrical, not mechanical. With no further information it's not possible for us to determine whether the undisclosed issue "could" have been related to software or not.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    PathPilot was announced in 2015, so in my book that's quite a long time in terms of technology/progress.
    If you remember back to the old days of the Tormach Mach installation they actually discouraged direct access to windows on the machine. I wasn't prepared to run anything else on the machine other than the windows calculator because it was all too flaky.

By the way, the OP said the issue was electrical, not mechanical. With no further information it's not possible for us to determine whether the undisclosed issue "could" have been related to software or not. Step
    Not quite. The OP wrote "The last straw was last week, kept getting an error on startup, not only can you not talk to anybody - email only - they also refuse to answer any trouble shooting questions unless you change to their latest software. Software has nothing to do with the error or parts to fix the problem. "

There was no indication of whether the problem could have been the result of an electrical or a mechanical or a software problem. That said, "an error on startup" sounds as though a software component might be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
    We have been running 2 1100's for about 8 years now, the CS from Tormach has bee steadily going down hill.
    The last straw was last week, kept getting an error on startup, not only can you not talk to anybody - email only - they also refuse to answer any trouble shooting questions unless you change to their latest software.
    Software has nothing to do with the error or parts to fix the problem. Took 3 days of downtime, and research - tracking down and going back to the mfg of the parts.
    We will be actively looking for replacement machines, hate to do it but not going to support a company that tries to coerce you to buy something just for the sake of stealing your $$
    You might try re installing the software, reseating the computer boards and memory.

If you have fixed the problem it would be nice to explain what was wrong so that others may benefit.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Well I wrote a mod for YOU a little over a year ago. Did you ever try it???
    I thought you had that mod for yourself and was kind enough to share it . But , no I hadn't tried it . I had my mills so busy that I didn't want to risk messing something up then do a reinstall , lose setting etc . With all that I forgot . If I recall correctly you said discussed this mod with tormach , it would be nice if they can add it to an update

I understand that technology has changed and it's been a while , but mach 3 didn't really change much in the period of it's development . Support was able to help support diagnose a problem then , be it software , electrical or mechanical . Unless the support team has completely changed in the period of pathpilot then there must be someone there who would be familiar with the old set up .

I don't fully know this fellows issue but if he was told to install the new software before they will even answer a question then thats a drag . Does it mean that if he installed pathpilot they would have helped to diagnose a mechanical or electrical problem when it isn't directly related ? I don't see the point . I'd rather be told "you've had your machine for x amount of yrs and you are beyond the point of support " . That would be understandable and reasonable enough .
    I knew I was on my own immediately when I couldn't get warranty parts out of support and had to get them through the sales rep , support needs improving

looking at the tormach website , here it is in a nutshell .

Technical Assistance

Unless otherwise expressly agreed to in writing by Tormach: (a) any product support provided by Tormach with respect to the use of goods furnished to Buyer shall be without charge at the sole discretion of Tormach; (b) Tormach assumes no obligation or liability for any such advice or for any results occurring as a result of the application of such advice, beyond the terms specified in the product warranty; and (c) Buyer shall have sole responsibility for selection and specification of the goods appropriate for the anticipated end use and for ensuring that all activities are carried out in a safe manner.

Because we do not know the details of Buyer’s workshop or other local conditions, Tormach cannot accept responsibility for the performance of any of our products or any damage or injury caused by use. It is Buyer’s responsibility to understand the implications and risks involved to using and modifying Tormach products. Buyer must comply with any legislation and codes of practice applicable to Buyer’s country and/or state.

Tormach offers technical support for every product we design when it is used as intended. Primary support is provided by the product manual and through supplemental information available on the Tormach web site (www. tormach.com). If you have additional questions that are not answered by these documents, or if the documents are not clear to you, then we will do everything we can to answer your question

I don't own a Tormach but have bought my share of their stuff over the years.

Most recently the nut on my Tormach slitting saw fell apart. The saw wasn't even cutting, the nut just broke, and the blade fell off, all while the tool hung in the ATC carousel. I emailed asking to buy a few of those nuts. They told me to make one on my lathe. I don't own a lathe.

Yeah, their support isn't too hot.

That said, if I bought a Tormach machine I'd be buying it to avoid major customer support obligations like you'd experience with an industrial machine. So I guess it's a two way street.

Several weeks back I enquired with Tormach about purchasuing a new 1100mx. I had a couple questions concerning some noted backorders and options. I recieved a purchase order nearly instantly with full pricing and no information on my questions. After several back and forth emails trying extract specific information to an immediately placed order, I was eventually told "they were being directed to pre-sales". After another now un-answered follow up email and a couple weeks later, I have heard nothing.

As a returning customer, I had purchased a pcnc1100 series 3 in 2015 for pennies shy of 24k. The difference in customer service has been black and white. Coupled with Tormach's position of not supporting the previous pcnc owner's with an upgrade path on current worthwhile improvements, to me, the percieved value (or lack there-of) of ownership has changed. Sad to see it really.

I come to realize that the only way to get help is to call .

I won't even get into the bs I had to deal with to get a quote to purchase a replacement motor a few weeks ago . They seriously need to up their level of communication , or at least have the parts available on the website so they can be directly purchased online

I emailed them a couple of days ago about my my electrical issue. No reply yet though.
    Also asked them for a better quality PDF of the wiring diagram, the one in the online manual is unreadable if you try and zoom in. I thought raster graphics weren't used in PDFs?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill View Post
    I emailed them a couple of days ago about my my electrical issue. No reply yet though.
    Also asked them for a better quality PDF of the wiring diagram, the one in the online manual is unreadable if you try and zoom in. I thought raster graphics weren't used in PDFs?
    I have copies of pdf manuals with scalable circuit diagrams but they are too big to upload to CNCZone. If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you a copy.
    Step

looking at the tormach website , here it is in a nutshell .

Technical Assistance

Unless otherwise expressly agreed to in writing by Tormach: (a) any product support provided by Tormach with respect to the use of goods furnished to Buyer shall be without charge at the sole discretion of Tormach; (b) Tormach assumes no obligation or liability for any such advice or for any results occurring as a result of the application of such advice, beyond the terms specified in the product warranty; and (c) Buyer shall have sole responsibility for selection and specification of the goods appropriate for the anticipated end use and for ensuring that all activities are carried out in a safe manner.

Because we do not know the details of Buyer’s workshop or other local conditions, Tormach cannot accept responsibility for the performance of any of our products or any damage or injury caused by use. It is Buyer’s responsibility to understand the implications and risks involved to using and modifying Tormach products. Buyer must comply with any legislation and codes of practice applicable to Buyer’s country and/or state.

Tormach offers technical support for every product we design when it is used as intended. Primary support is provided by the product manual and through supplemental information available on the Tormach web site (www. tormach.com). If you have additional questions that are not answered by these documents, or if the documents are not clear to you, then we will do everything we can to answer your question
    Tormach customer service has gone straight to hell since the death of Greg Jackson.

Actually, Tormach customer service has turned out to be the best possible sales staff Haas could hope for.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Steve , my experience with tormach doesn't go back that far , but I will say that I bought because of the feedback I saw over the yrs from guys like yourself and others .

For what it's worth the local haas support is the worst that I have ever seen in this industry . They have one key guy that knows what he is doing . The rest are flat out clueless idiots , and when I say idiots I'm giving the short and nicer version of what I think of them lol . They are half decent and reliable machines though .

I look at it in the sense that tormach will be around for a long time and I can get parts , unlike another hobby mill company who I couldn't get parts for one of my mills . It taking over a week and a half to get a response from tormach wasn't too cool though , and their email response is non-existent

I hesitate to be a lone positive voice here but...
    I purchased my 770 in 2012 and, fortunately, I've never had a hardware problem that I couldn't solve myself so I haven't had to depend on them. I've ordered accessories and replacement parts which have arrived as quickly as expected considering international shipping delays.

On the software side, I've reported a number of issues and suggestions for improvements over the years. These have mostly been fixed or added to the next release. In general, my interactions have been outstanding and I've even emailed questions on a Friday and received replies on the weekend from their senior software support people. Unlike the rest of you I couldn't be happier!

I look at it as if the machines hadnt been affordable to hobbyists and others like myself, I wouldnt have had the opportunity to learn the CNC trade.
    I have managed to fix most all the problems I have had with mine.
    It is not a machine made in my country, the price point reflects that, if it were I couldnt/wouldnt have bought the machine.
    It is not perfect but then again what is, there are always improvements to be made.
    The software is free and it works flawlessly!

They are also dealing with this super flu and company expansion, there will be a hiccup or two along the way as neither of these are easily dealt with.
    Overall there are pluses that I think should be considered as well..........
    mike sr

Page 2 of 3 123