584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Bearings on ends of ball screws?

Question Bearings on ends of ball screws?

Hey folks,

My first post, so I am still getting into this community - I tried searching on this topic, but could not find what I was a after

I am in the process of converting a PM 728VT and looking to get the best precision possible

I am planning on using ground ball screws with Teknic servos

I am trying to work out if using roller bearings on the ends of all axes adds value by providing stability?

Is there any downside to using bearings on the ends of the Y and Z axes?

—Andrew

Re: Bearings on ends of ball screws?

Hi,
    just about all fixed end ballscrew bearing mounts are designed for a matched pair of angular contact bearings. Floating end bearings are often much cheaper
    deep groove ball bearings.

Matched angular contact bearings tend to be expensive with tightly matched P4 pairs costing hundreds of dollars a pair depending on size. Smaller and less
    well matched pairs and lesser accuracy grades tend to be in the tens of dollars per pair and unmatched bearings as little as $5 each. Pay your money and
    take your pick!

Craig

You cannot use roller bearings on BOTH ends of a screw because one of the ends (usually the motor end) needs to be fixed.

The fixed end usually has a pair of angular contact bearings, often a matched set. The floating end may have either a regular ball bearing or a roller bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by akn99 View Post
    Hey folks,

My first post, so I am still getting into this community - I tried searching on this topic, but could not find what I was a after

I am in the process of converting a PM 728VT and looking to get the best precision possible

I am planning on using ground ball screws with Teknic servos

I am trying to work out if using roller bearings on the ends of all axes adds value by providing stability?

Is there any downside to using bearings on the ends of the Y and Z axes?

—Andrew
    By Roller Bearing you mean Taper Roller Bearing if so this could work for a cheap setup, Preload adjustment could be tricky to get just right but could be done, another way to do it on the fixed end,( Drive End ) you could use ( 2 ) Taper Roller Bearings and a deep Grove Ball Bearing on the other end
    Mactec54