584,830 active members*
5,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > CNC printer moving twice the distance of design

CNC printer moving twice the distance of design

Hi All,

Apologies if this post is not in the correct category. I've been designing PCBs from both Eagle & DipTrace but when loading the .tap files into grblControl the stepper motor is moving almost double the distant as if the scaling is twice the size.

I've tried managed to export the file into an image and print at actual size to a inkjet printer and size comes out perfect. So there must be some kind of micro stepping, jumper setting or gcode command to adjust for my CNC 3018 printer.

Can anyone put me in the right direction?

I'm using gmblControl 0.8.4

Regards

Dave

Re: CNC printer moving twice the distance of design

You could start using UGS or another gcode sender to move a "known distance" and then measure the actual distance moved. If the distance moved is not correct, your steps/mm setting in the grbl controller ($100.. $102) doesn't match the driver settings.

At the driver side you can set the micro stepping by dip switches or jumpers, depending on the driver you are using. Micro stepping is "always" 2,4,8,16,32,64,128 or 256. A value of 4..8 is common.
    You can also change the resolution at the controller side by changing the settings. For more information read the grbl wiki https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki

Before you make any changes, note the current settings and make a picture of it so you can revert any changes.

Re: CNC printer moving twice the distance of design

Thank you I'll give this a go.