584,846 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What is the best 3D CAM Software?

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
577. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.73%
  • Cimatron

37 6.41%
  • Esprit

47 8.15%
  • Mastercam

289 50.09%
  • One CNC

49 8.49%
  • Surfcam

70 12.13%
Page 11 of 27 91011121321
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    Precisely. And exactly. (Backyardigans)

He reminds me very much of xyzdonna in the climate change thread. Shes speaks a lot but rarely says anything.
    Hmmmmmmm this looks like a few other posters that roam the Zone. So much to say, and not very helpful.

Matt, remember Mike M. aka LAKESIDE aka BOSTON, LOL. So much to say but very little action Looks like he is up to his old tricks again too.

Don't these people have better things to do than Troll the Forums.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

The best cam software.

I would say get out some serious money guys (UG Unigraphics) Yeah our version is around $50,000.00 NO JOKE. Now for the best for at home I would say whatever works for you is the best for you. And please dont start on the master cam thing because my thoughts are OVER PRICED for a small owner situation and definitly not the best. Maybe for you?

Quote Originally Posted by highspeedmazak View Post
    I would say get out some serious money guys (UG Unigraphics) Yeah our version is around $50,000.00 NO JOKE. Now for the best for at home I would say whatever works for you is the best for you. And please dont start on the master cam thing because my thoughts are OVER PRICED for a small owner situation and definitly not the best. Maybe for you?
    I couldn't agree more.

What is the best 3D CAM software?
    Code:
    Catia     	   	27  	13.78%
    Cimatron 		11 	5.61%
    Esprit  		8 	4.08%
    Mastercam 		102 	52.04%
    One CNC 		17 	8.67%
    Surfcam 		31 	15.82%
    Why, it's Mastercam of course. And by over 50% (nuts)

Srsly. If I recall, Cimitron costed way more than MCam when I used Cimitron, and it was half the program MCam was at the time. Just because you pay 10 times more for the software doesn't mean it can do things MCam can't. NO JOKE

Like Ron said, provide a part that you can make with your self-proclaimed best software that can't be done with MCam or VG or Surfcam
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Funny thing Mike called me to the Floor with quoting my comments, then I answer and that seems to be swept back under the rug.

Was there a point with doing that or did you just concede the point that maybe you are uninformed about the capabilities of Mastercam??

I don't run MC nor have I seen it recently so you will have to speak for them, I work with Cimatron from mold design to electrode design and 3-axis machining so I know it works well. My question is simple, of those 102 people who voted for MC, how many actually own the seat of software? same for each of the others as well? I think that there are several good software titles, but who's confident enough in their software to buy it? One other thing, what was the number like 80k seats of mc world wide? Why do only 102 of them think its number 1? (legitimate question, not to stir things up) Maybe there should be a pole asking what you use every day, not whats best... wonder how many MC users are here that didn't vote MC as best?

Danny

P.S. I am not here to start any trouble! There seems to be a lot of "drama" back and forth.

Danny I will would buy it in a heartbeat for anything, but dual turret turning. Everything else I would personally buy it and use it everyday like I commented on in my responses to Mike. I have used other software so can make a some what informed decision. Have I used the latest and greatest of every software out there no. Anyone that has and is 100% on all out there can walk on water as far as I am concerned. The idea is that Mastercam can not do the job, as well as other software which is complete BS and I will call anyone on that, not trying ot be zealous just think it weird Mastercam gets the most adds and people attacking it. One CNC has a money add running on this very site using Mastercam fonts and other thing very funny very funny indeed. Is Mastercam the best I can honestly say I do not know or really care. My point is can it do the job and the answer is yes.

I do honestly believe that MC can do the job, heck we did it with less in years past. I bought Cimatron because of the learning curve, I ran it every day at work and figured that learning something else on the part time level would only make me a dangerous programmer. If I had already been running MC I could have saved some money or Surfcam, both cheaper than Cimatron and both capible. I do like the fact that Cimatron has a good mold design package and a very fast and easy to learn/run electrode design package. I don't do any 5-axis stuff yet, not even sure I want to. I am very comfortible designing molds, electrodes, and tool pathing in Cimatron. They have great tech support and they all know me by name, I ask for a lot of enhancments and they listen... I have seen several of my ideas show up in Cimatron. I think there is some value in only having one interface, but corect me if I am wrong, dont MC and Surfcam have plugin to solidworks? I think the number one thing that MC has going for it is the number of users, at the same time i think the number one thing it has going against it are the number of users that need more training. I have talked to a lot of guys that say " i did some programming in MC" just to watch them struggle with file managment and the windows envroment. #1 REASON TO BUY OR LEARN MC... there are more MC jobs out there than any other cam system. I wonder what the average user earns running MC? I remember a "head hunter" looking me up several years ago, he was looking for people running UG and ProE, there were positions for others but those two had the highest salaries followed closly by catia.

Oh, one other thing, i see a lot of outside mold designs and data, the most complex and nasty molds I have ever programmed came from UG designs, very impressive. Of all of the outside part models we get in the ones exported from Catia are the most trouble, they tend to have surface boundry issues... i think this is more of a user issue though. We have gotten catia stuff that was good as well, but when its bad, its really bad.

It is true Mastercam can make the same parts that Catia and Cimatron can. But at what cost? Time is money. I can program a part in Catia or Cimatron in 15 minutes that would take 40 hours of Mastercam programming to equal. It's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Mercedes. Mastercam has many seats out there. MacDonalds has more outlets than Black Angus and Tony Romas combined but where would you rather eat? Don't be fooled by the pretty pics on the website. Just show me how easy is it to go from point A to point B. Just because you CAN make a part does not mean you can do it in the most cost effective way. "A winged-lady hood ornament does not a Rolls-Royce make." - Robert Gottschalk (founder of Panavision)

Mike Stevenson
    It is true Mastercam can make the same parts that Catia and Cimatron can. But at what cost? Time is money. I can program a part in Catia or Cimatron in 15 minutes that would take 40 hours of Mastercam programming to equal.
    Now I know you are full of it!!!!

Show a screen shot of this Magic part you do in 15 minutes that takes you maybe 40 hours to program in Mastercam. You got an Magic beans you want to talk about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    I can program a part in Catia or Cimatron in 15 minutes that would take 40 hours of Mastercam programming to equal.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!11one

Seriously, Mike... I think you should call the gas company and have them come see if there's a gas leak at your house. :rainfro:

Ok, seriously. I fell down and hit my head from laughing so hard, but I'm ok now.

Hey, Mike, do me a favor and show me a part you can do in 15 minutes that can't be done in less than 1/10 of your claim of 40 hours, and make it 4 hours. Hell, Mike, make it 40 minutes, that way maybe you'll be able to at least pretend you made a typo.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd,

Your BS rhetoric posts are a never ending source of amusement for me. Why Paul let's administrators flame cnczone users is beyond the scope of my imagination.

Rekd,

No wonder they want to get rid of you at www.emastercam.com. You are full of hot air. You say you know everything but anyone can tell you are a fraud.

Poor Mike, he can sure dish it out but he can't take it very well.

Oh, by the way, "magical part" not found. Maybe because what you said was not true...? :banana:

For the record, if "they" (Paul and IHS) wanted to get rid of me, they would. These are, after all, their boards.

Perhaps they know how I am and wanted me anyway. Maybe they know I don't put up with crap from crybabies and trolls. (nuts)
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Quote Originally Posted by dannystooblue View Post
    who's confident enough in their software to buy it?
    I would only consider buying MC. I know it will do what I want in a reasonable amount of time.
    One other thing, what was the number like 80k seats of mc world wide? Why do only 102 of them think its number 1?
    Um, this vote didn't reach all 80,000 worldwide MC users, it only reached people that visit CNCzone.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Why Paul let's administrators flame cnczone users is beyond the scope of my imagination
    So do you think they should be responsible for anyone that gets fired by this wild arse statement:
    I can program a part in Catia or Cimatron in 15 minutes that would take 40 hours of Mastercam programming to equal.
    Because if I owned a company and came across that line I would be firing some people and getting you on the phone or any other people with your walking on water abilities. You pretty much just insulted everyone who uses Mastercam with that B.S. statement then you never back up your B.S. with facts and then you want someone to feel sorry for you because you might have got your feelings hurt. You are doing everything in your power to discredit Mastercam; and the people using Mastercam that make a living from Mastercam and that is responsible in what way? :nono: :nono:

At this point back it up or shut up period!!! They want to ban me I could care less. They have threatened me with it before and this is my 3rd user name here, but to open up themselves to liability because of your inaccurate comments or over you getting your feelings hurt makes what kind of sense??

Do you even read what you post. If I were you I would be asking for $6080 and hour for that kind of performance. Because in one week you did the equal amount of programming of $243,2000 as Mastercam user does at a current salary I know someone is making an hour programming Mastercam. So in one year for your company you are doing $12,646,400 worth of programming using your current abilities verses Mastercam. How much a year does your company produce, Because every company I have ran programming was anywhere from 2% to 10% of our budget. So your company is using the 10% high amount does $1,138,176,000 a year off of your programming abilities. Know if there are 4 of you guys you are programming work to equal the Gross national product of some 3rd world countries.

So again do you read what you type or do you just have a talk out of my arse button on your keyboard?

Since I know this will be edited I posted this in another forum so if people want to read my real response they can.

Still ROTFLMAO at this... :banana:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Hey, Mike...

If you need some Mastercam training, let me know... we can definitely get your programming skills up to speed! :wee:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

So in one year for your company you are doing $12,646,400 worth of programming using your current abilities verses Mastercam.
    Truly amazing.

:bs:
    ......:bs:
    ............:bs:
    ...................:bs:
    ...........................:bs:
    ........................................:bs:

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE JEFFERS View Post
    edge cam IMHO is an overly complicated system
    yes it's good for machining solids but its slow and not as controlable as others
    i've been using it for about 3 yrs and still find it cumbersome
    ie if you have multi ops and you want to run 1 operation it has to run thru the whole lot
    you cant switch of 1 or 2 operations it takes an eternity to regenerate after even a small
    change and the machine depths/part heights is confusing at times
    guess im just not an edge cam guy
    I agree with you. EdgeCAM is only good for really simple jobs.

May I add:

Illogical.
    Lots of bugs.
    Prone to crash.
    Can't handle glitches between surfaces.
    Slow on handling complex geometry.
    3D stock function unusable.
    No in work model.
    Limited amount of drive or check surfaces can be used before system freezes or crash.
    No finishing cut function in cycles.
    ...and so on.

I have less experience in MC, TopSolid and CATIA and can still do a lot more, a lot faster and better in them than I can do in EdgeCRAP.

The people that buy EdgeCAM is, from what I have seen, people with little or no experience of other CAM systems.

Page 11 of 27 91011121321