584,830 active members*
5,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > starting my C program, any guidance would be appreciated.
Page 6 of 11 45678

Re: starting my C program, any guidance would be apreciated.

I have gotten the break working, Thank you...

I now have a question about calculating the Factor of my Spindle so I can use an axis for monitoring the RPM. The encoder I'm using is a BEI RIH 22 incremental encoder. It has a resolution of 2500 cycles, I guess that means counts per/rev? How do I calculate, whatever needs to be calculated, to update my C-program for the correct RPM?

How do I also change the letter of the axis or insert a new window in screen editor. I watched the Youtube video of entering a new window to see real time feeds, but I couldn't catch how the window was actually put in.

Attachment is encoder information.

I now have a question about calculating the Factor of my Spindle so I can use an axis for monitoring the RPM. The encoder I'm using is a BEI RIH 22 incremental encoder. It has a resolution of 2500 cycles, I guess that means counts per/rev? How do I calculate, whatever needs to be calculated, to update my C-program for the correct RPM?
    There are 4 quadrature transitions in a complete quadrature cycle. So that should be 10000 counts/rev. To verify rotate the spindle one rev and see how much the position changes. If you put 10000 in the KMotionCNC | Tool Setup | Trajectory Planner | Threading Screen KMotionCNC should display RPM correctly.

How do I also change the letter of the axis or insert a new window in screen editor. I watched the Youtube video of entering a new window to see real time feeds, but I couldn't catch how the window was actually put in.
    Its not clear what you are trying to do. KMotionCNC will already display Spindle RPM.
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Its not clear what you are trying to do. KMotionCNC will already display Spindle RPM.
    My spindle count on the A axis also, so I was hoping that I could change the letter to U and make it display the RPM so I can see better. I want to keep A axis free to add a rotary 4th axis later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunmachinist View Post
    This is what I'm confused about when determining my Factor in the c-code; if my encoder count/rev = 10000.
    Would determining the Factor in my C-code be (#define FACTOR (10000/60.0) //10000 counts/sec / 10000 counts/rev = 1 RPS = 60 RPM)?

My spindle count on the A axis also, so I was hoping that I could change the letter to U and make it display the RPM so I can see better. I want to keep A axis free to add a rotary 4th axis later.
    Its still not clear.

This is what I'm confused about when determining my Factor in the c-code; if my encoder count/rev = 10000.
    Would determining the Factor in my C-code be (#define FACTOR (10000/60.0) //10000 counts/sec / 10000 counts/rev = 1 RPS = 60 RPM)?
    yes
    TK

Its still not clear.
    My spindle encoder will count on the A axis screen.

I was want to change the rectangle in the upper left hand corner of the KmotionCNC screen which displays my spindle encoder counts to a U instead of an A.

I want to make the "U" rectangle in the upper left corner, display the RPM's so I am able to see(visually) better, and I can get all the information I want in one glance without looking all over the screen (ie: X axis, Y axis, Z axis, and speed).

I want to keep the "A" axis rectangle open to add a rotary 4th axis later.

How do I insert a new window in screen editor. I watched the Youtube video of entering a new window to see real time feeds, but I couldn't catch how the window was actually inserted and saved.

There are 40 User Label Controls available for use. You can't create or insert them, rather you can Show them. You may need to increase the width of the main window and select Show Hidden to be be able to select and modify them. You can not alter the functionality of the main DROs with the Screen Editor.
    TK

Unhappy Re: starting my C program, any guidance would be apreciated.

Did I just screw up my Kanalog? I had a problem getting my power supply to work all of my 3 air solenoids (even tho only one is active at a time). Original power supply was a 24v .3a so I connected a different power supply (24v 5a) to two of the solenoids. Now everything else still works except anything connected to JP8. I connected the white Neutral wire from power supply to JP6 GND, JP8 #7 to the neutral side of the solenoid, and the + side of the power supply to the + side of the solenoid. I understand that JP8 will only handle 1a but didn't think that the neutral side would supply that to Kanalog.

The 24V 5A supply should be ok and the wiring description sounds correct except your diagram shows #6 and #7 shorted together which I assume is not the case. Also the direction of the diodes is not shown. If the diode isn't pointing in reverse, from - to +, there could be damage.

I assume you activated the outputs? 158 and 159?

You might check with a voltmeter to see what is going on. Connect the black lead to Kanalog GND at Kanalog and check DC voltage at every other point.
    TK

The 24V 5A supply should be ok and the wiring description sounds correct except your diagram shows #6 and #7 shorted together which I assume is not the case.
    true, I have 2 air switches at the same location. I just forgot to separate the line.
    Also the direction of the diodes is not shown. If the diode isn't pointing in reverse, from - to +, there could be damage.
    How do I determine that, is the grey facing the + or -?
    I assume you activated the outputs? 158 and 159?
    Yes in the I/O screen. They all worked thursday last week but when I came back friday to continue, nothing.

How do I determine that, is the grey facing the + or -?
    Well it depends on the manufacturer of the diode. But most commonly the cathode has some type of a mark.

Attachment 458228

You would want the cathode connected to the + side of the solenoid (in reverse) so it does not normally conduct current from the power supply but rather when the coil is trying to make a reverse voltage spark.

An analogy I like is an inductor (any coil) is like the mass of a train. Voltage is like force on the train. Current flow is like the speed of the train. When the power supply is connected it is like applying a force to the train which gradually ramps up to speed. Without the diode, if the power supply is suddenly disconnected the current will instantly stop flowing. This is like stopping the train instantly. Which is like hitting a brick wall. Which creates an enormous reverse force (voltage). Which creates a spark. Adding a diode creates a path for the train to coast to a stop instead.
    TK

Ok, that makes sense Ill check.

1 of the diodes were reversed and I can measure 24v from GRN to JP8.

That would be bad. That would allow the full power supply to flow through the diode and into JP8 with unlimited current. Likely blowing out either the diode or the Kanalog Driver.

The original 0.3A supply might have been small enough not to cause any damage. But I don't see any way it could have worked.

The JP8 outputs are supposed to "pull" the JP8 pin voltage from 24V down to close to 0V so the solenoid "sees" 24V and turns on. If it is not pulling the pin voltage down to 0V it is likely damaged.
    TK

The JP8 outputs are supposed to "pull" the JP8 pin voltage from 24V down to close to 0V so the solenoid "sees" 24V and turns on. If it is not pulling the pin voltage down to 0V it is likely damaged.
    It does show 24v whether or not it's active or not, so I guess Im going to need another board. Dangit

It does show 24v whether or not it's active or not, so I guess Im going to need another board.
    You might try using a different Relay Driver Output I would expect only one or possibly 2 to be damaged.
    TK

Actually, I can't get any of them to work.

Maybe you have a wiring mistake. I asked you to measure from Kanalog GND at Kanalog. You said you measured from GRN. I assume that was a typo? Where did you connect to GND? I asked to measure every point in the circuit. You measured at only one point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Points.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	458326
    TK

Maybe you have a wiring mistake. I asked you to measure from Kanalog GND at Kanalog. You said you measured from GRN. I assume that was a typo? Where did you connect to GND? I asked to measure every point in the circuit. You measured at only one point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Points.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	458326
    I did measure from JP6 GND to JP8 #6 and 7. I went back and measured all the connections like you have put in my drawing, I'm getting 0v between GND and all the neutral (-) connections, I get 24v at JP6 and the (+) side of power supply and at the (+) side of both solenoids. I am getting 0v on JP8 #7 but if I connect it to the air switch, it will activate. If I disconnect #6 and #7 JP8 and reverse the connection, #6 wire which is now connected to #7 JP8 will activate.

I don't exactly follow that. Not sure why you couldn't have used my letter markings to be perfectly clear, You didn't tell us if #6 or #7 outputs are active or not so we don't know if the solenoid should activate or not when connected. It also seems to contradict what you measured earlier.
    TK

Page 6 of 11 45678