585,749 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VFD wiring problem

Hi there!
    i have a planet cnc mk3/4 and i'm wiring an output board. I've followed the planet-cnc website instructions but my vfd is different and i don't have a DCM nor ACM contact. Would somebody please help me?
    This is my VFD panel (wiring is as it was on my previous chinese mach3 breakout board)

thanks a lot for your help

Re: VFD wiring problem

The pin labeled "GND" seems to serve as ACM and DCM in your VFD. I guess its designers did not quite understand the difference between the terms "common" and "ground".

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    The pin labeled "GND" seems to serve as ACM and DCM in your VFD. I guess its designers did not quite understand the difference between the terms "common" and "ground".
    So I will have 3 wires on GND port?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalo82 View Post
    So I will have 3 wires on GND port?
    No, do not connect the power ground wire to that pin. There should be a separate terminal or screw for that. Can you post a picture of the entire VFD with all the terminals?

tomorrow in the morning I will take a picture, in this link you'll find the manual (mine is single phase 1,5kw)
    https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/255641...0UserGuide.pdf

Meglo82:

Page 5 of your manual provides the necessary information for wiring your output board to the VFD control terminals. The naming of terminals might be somewhat different from what you have had in the past, but the basic concept is still the same.

There are digital inputs (FWD and "GND") for controlling the start/stop of your spindle, and there are analog inputs (10V IN and "GND") for the control of spindle speed - assuming that you will be using analog voltage, rather than current, to control your spindle speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeAnnSee View Post
    Meglo82:

Page 5 of your manual provides the necessary information for wiring your output board to the VFD control terminals. The naming of terminals might be somewhat different from what you have had in the past, but the basic concept is still the same.

There are digital inputs (FWD and "GND") for controlling the start/stop of your spindle, and there are analog inputs (10V IN and "GND") for the control of spindle speed - assuming that you will be using analog voltage, rather than current, to control your spindle speed.
    ok, following the schemes on planet-cnc blog I have:

FOR that my vfd pin is named FWD goes to NC 2 on the board
    REV if I don't need anti clockwise rotation I leave this
    DCM in my vfd pin named GND goes to 1 on the board
    VI in my vfd pin named 10V IN goes to 0-10V on the board
    ACM in my vfd pin named GND goes to GND on the board

is that correct? 2 wires (ACM and DCM) from the same GND pin?

my manual pages:

planet cnc infos

UPDATE!

i've tried the wiring i wrote on the previous post and it work... but:

command m03 s24000 spindle start at 24000 rev
    command m05 spindle stop but the program doesn't see it as stopped and the spindle icon stay on, if i try to give commands i get an error until reboot
    command m03 s8000 spindle start at 3000 rev

what is wrong? thank you

Now I’ve solved the stop spindle, it works but at s12000 I have about 9000rev the only precise and stable is s24000. When turning less than 24k I see that is not linear, es. 9154 9000 9136

Cables are shielded and with the old Chinese controller I’ve never had this kind of issues

Hi,
    I solved this by adjusting well both the trimmer on the output board and the min and max values of the frequencies as shown on page. 367 of the manual. Now the revolutions correspond to those detected by the encoder on the spindle. I believe that more stable revolutions could be obtained by controlling the frequency inverter (RS485) but additional hardware is required specifically designed.

This morning I’ve managed cables in a different way, the cable of the vfd was too close to the board, after that I’ve adjusted the trimmer and I saw an error on the ground, I’ve grounded 2 times the PSU! I’ve also added another PSU for the output board (it was 1 for mk3/4 and output board 12v 3a) now everything seems to work fine! Thank you all for support

Maybe one thing, I have made viering - controlling the VFD with CAT6 cable and just double or triple the unnedeed wieres. My VFD is app 2.5 m from basic panell where everything is...
    works perfect, and ja grounded only on panell.