584,829 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Any suggestions for replacement 2.2kw 24000 RPM spindle? Who is a reliable seller?

Any suggestions for replacement 2.2kw 24000 RPM spindle? Who is a reliable seller?

Good morning all - Happy thanksgiving!

My Chinese spindle is getting pretty noisy these days and I suspect a bearing is going. It is about 5 years old (give or take) and has served me pretty well (compared to the many horror stories I have read about here on the Zone).

I would like to get a replacement spindle and probably VFD (if needed) - get that up and running reliably. Then, as time allows, rebuild the spindle I have.

I see Amazon now sells these spindles and drives, does anyone have a recommendation on which unit AND which seller to get it from?

Thanks in advance!

Chris D

Re: Any suggestions for replacement 2.2kw 24000 RPM spindle? Who is a reliable seller

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Good morning all - Happy thanksgiving!

My Chinese spindle is getting pretty noisy these days and I suspect a bearing is going. It is about 5 years old (give or take) and has served me pretty well (compared to the many horror stories I have read about here on the Zone).

I would like to get a replacement spindle and probably VFD (if needed) - get that up and running reliably. Then, as time allows, rebuild the spindle I have.

I see Amazon now sells these spindles and drives, does anyone have a recommendation on which unit AND which seller to get it from?

Thanks in advance!

Chris D
    Why not get the same spindle as you have, they are all much the same some are built slightly better, but not enough to pick one that is better than the other, a correctly programed VFD can work for many years changing the spindle for the same spec spindle won't need any changes to the VFD Drive or a replacement of the VFD Drive

A spindle with ceramic bearings is going to be the best choice, and one that has a Grounded 4th pin in the spindle connector, there are some that detail this, so for the standard 2.2Kw 24,000 RPM spindles there is not much that sets them apart

So just 3 things to look for

Ceramic Bearing

Spindle Plug Grounding

Higher Torque with lower speed minimum speed 3000 RPM (Which have a larger and longer Rotor and Stator ) and are a true 2.2Kw
    Mactec54

Re: Any suggestions for replacement 2.2kw 24000 RPM spindle? Who is a reliable seller

Roger that Mactec54 - My intention was to get one as identical as the one I currently have. I also just remembered that there are markings on the spindle that I have - I just have to find them again ;-)

Thanks much!

Chris D

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Why not get the same spindle as you have, they are all much the same some are built slightly better, but not enough to pick one that is better than the other, a correctly programed VFD can work for many years changing the spindle for the same spec spindle won't need any changes to the VFD Drive or a replacement of the VFD Drive

A spindle with ceramic bearings is going to be the best choice, and one that has a Grounded 4th pin in the spindle connector, there are some that detail this, so for the standard 2.2Kw 24,000 RPM spindles there is not much that sets them apart

So just 3 things to look for

Ceramic Bearing

Spindle Plug Grounding

Higher Torque with lower speed minimum speed 3000 RPM (Which have a larger and longer Rotor and Stator ) and are a true 2.2Kw
    Mactec54, I agree with your 3 thing to look for in a new spindle. Since i am in the process of replacing my router with a spindle I find that informative. The problem I find is that the sellers on ebay do not generally lists those things.

Do you know of a vendor who sells spindles that conform with them?

Thanks
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SamHam View Post
    Mactec54, I agree with your 3 thing to look for in a new spindle. Since i am in the process of replacing my router with a spindle I find that informative. The problem I find is that the sellers on ebay do not generally lists those things.

Do you know of a vendor who sells spindles that conform with them?

Thanks
    Sam
    This is one of the better spindles that have a lot of details, they come under a different name also you just have to research what you want

Any good spindles you can get any details you want just contact the manufacture, the snip below is the spindle in this listing showing 4 wires connected to the spindle plug this is an exception though you won't find many cheap spindles with this much detail

You would also have to ask for ceramic Bearings when you place your order some have them listed as with ceramic bearings but most don't

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5b9b53bed4nb6x
    Mactec54

it maybe spindle bear problem , change bear or change new spindle , from noisy side to think , water cooling spindle have a little noisy than air cooling spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Roger that Mactec54 - My intention was to get one as identical as the one I currently have. I also just remembered that there are markings on the spindle that I have - I just have to find them again ;-)

Thanks much!

Chris D
    Buy another one with identical brand and model will save you lots of time
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

This is one of the better spindles that have a lot of details, they come under a different name also you just have to research what you want

Any good spindles you can get any details you want just contact the manufacture, the snip below is the spindle in this listing showing 4 wires connected to the spindle plug this is an exception though you won't find many cheap spindles with this much detail

You would also have to ask for ceramic Bearings when you place your order some have them listed as with ceramic bearings but most don't

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5b9b53bed4nb6x

mactec54 ---- Can you give me your opinion on this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...%2315608%23135

mactec54 ---- Can you give me your opinion on this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...%2315608%23135
    The only thing I see is it is air cooled and will have lower torque will have to have a higher minimum speed to keep it cool, these are the differences, from the other spindle I posted
    Mactec54

The only thing I see is it is air cooled and will have lower torque will have to have a higher minimum speed to keep it cool, these are the differences, from the other spindle I posted
    Thank you. I do want an Air Cooled one since I live in a cold climate and not using it every day would require much more maintenance. Do you know what the min speed would be?

Thank you. I do want an Air Cooled one since I live in a cold climate and not using it every day would require much more maintenance. Do you know what the min speed would be?
    You can try 7200 which will have a Parameter setting minimum speed =120Hz you can try this but watch the spindle temperature as if it is too slow it will over heat, so you most likely will have to go higher than this, some of the spindle manufactures will list the correct minimum speed, but some just list 0-24,000RPM or 0-18,000RPM the minimum for water cooled is 100Hz= 6,000 RPM but have no useful cutting power at that speed so most use 120Hz 7200RPM

So as an idea the 120Hz will most likely be to low for your spindle minimum speed, it will depend how good the cooling fan, a lot use 150Hz for the minimum speed
    Mactec54

You can try 7200 which will have a Parameter setting minimum speed =120Hz you can try this but watch the spindle temperature as if it is too slow it will over heat, so you most likely will have to go higher than this, some of the spindle manufactures will list the correct minimum speed, but some just list 0-24,000RPM or 0-18,000RPM the minimum for water cooled is 100Hz= 6,000 RPM but have no useful cutting power at that speed so most use 120Hz 7200RPM

So as an idea the 120Hz will most likely be to low for your spindle minimum speed, it will depend how good the cooling fan, a lot use 150Hz for the minimum speed
    Thank you. You have been very helpful.
    I think I'm about ready to take the plunge, although my SuperPID and router has done me well for quite a while.

This thread has been very helpful. I see in the description of one of the spindles it indicates the spindle should run at low speed for 15-20 minutes each day before use. Any feedback on this?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Floor View Post
    This thread has been very helpful. I see in the description of one of the spindles it indicates the spindle should run at low speed for 15-20 minutes each day before use. Any feedback on this?

thanks
    This is normal thing that everyone should do for there spindle, the spindle I posted has higher torque and can run at 3000RPM minimum speed, other water cooled spindle have a minimum speed of 6000 RPM

Air-cooled run higher than this for there minimum speed, there minimum speed is what they can run at without over heating

So if you mean can you run slower than this for warm up, the answer is No you risk damage to the spindle and VFD Drive

Is 15 / 20 minutes needed No, 5 / 8 minutes is usually enough, unless you are in a freezing shop then more time is needed, the warm-up is just to move the grease and warm it up, so it can lubricate the Bearings correctly, it can get thick when it is cold

So yes always do a warm up at the spindles minimum speed before stepping up to higher speeds
    Mactec54