584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PP Conversational programming

Hi, all.

I'm running PP (currently 2.5.1) on a converted benchtop lathe with a QCTP. I've noticed a couple of "issues" with conversational programming. I don't know if it's just me or someone else has also noticed this. These issues are also present in v2.7.0 (on PP HUB)

First, since I use a QCTP, which is then front-mounted tools, it says on the page to use negative values to have the X-axis work the negative X side of the workpiece. The problem I've found is that during the roughing, it will go too far in Z by the amount of the value set for finish DOC. Anyone else notice this? Are everyone using positive values for DOC and the comment about using negative values are wrong and should have been removed?

These values
    Attachment 453054

will give this code
    Attachment 453056
    where you can see that it will go 0.01" too far on the roughing. Using positive values will give the same X values, but give the correct Z value, so it looks like the comment about using negative X values should be removed.

Second issue, when doing chamfers, it will cut from left to right when the tool is set up with CP 3, which to me is the wrong direction. In one of the videos from Tormach this can also be seen, so it isn't just my settings doing this. Is this really the correct cutting direction for tools with CP 3 (right-hand cutting tools)? Anyone using conversational with lathes seeing the same?

Br,
    Stig

Re: PP Conversational programming

I don't think the DOC needs to be negative, even with the QCTP.

Chamfers cut left to right for me using a turret and gang plate.

...GUI should be changed?
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    I don't think the DOC needs to be negative, even with the QCTP.

Chamfers cut left to right for me using a turret and gang plate.
    Normally, I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that it states in the GUI to use negative numbers to work on the negative side of the workpiece. I think I'll fire off an email to Tormach and see what they say, if anything.

Chamfers from left to right still look wrong to me. When I've seen videos of chamfers being machined, they have either been done as OD roughing with a "diagonal" finish pass, or diagonal passes from the start, going right to left.

Br,
    Stig

I was looking at the manual that comes with their lathe and they show positive numbers in the DOC areas when using the QCTP. Won't take a second to change them and look at the g-code.

I'd rather chamfer towards the face of the part to keep from raising a sliver of material on the O.D., then you can face afterwards to push that raised sliver towards the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    I was looking at the manual that comes with their lathe and they show positive numbers in the DOC areas when using the QCTP. Won't take a second to change them and look at the g-code.
    Using positive numbers for DOC, will give the correct result. The problem is it is quite confusing when the text possibly only talks about stock diameter, but is right above the graphics for DOC, which can lead to using negative numbers for DOC, since DOC is moving in X.

I'd rather chamfer towards the face of the part to keep from raising a sliver of material on the O.D., then you can face afterwards to push that raised sliver towards the middle.
    Valid point, but wouldn't this, in my un-educated guess, limit your choice of tooling a fair bit? Having an option of which way to chamfer would be the best option.