585,712 active members*
4,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Help mounting a square type spindle to new 4x8 machine

Question Help mounting a square type spindle to new 4x8 machine

Hi There,

I'm just about finished with my Standard 4x8 machine assembly, and the last step is to mount the spindle to the Z axis.
    I did not buy the Avid plug and play spindle and went with the air cooled chinese 2.2kw spindle. It is the square style with a flat back and 4 holes on each side to mount,
    and I also purchased the Router Mount Base Adapter from Avid, but apparently the holes on this mount are for AVID's spindle and will not match with the holes for this type of spindle I bought.
    I also could not find on Avid's website any mount that would work with this spindle.

So I'm coming to you for help, how in the world can I mount this spindle on my machine?

Any help is highly appreciated.

GMo

Re: Help mounting a square type spindle to new 4x8 machine

Why not just drill and tap new holes?

Honestly, that is my next step, I was just trying to avoid manually doing this if there is a solution already in place for it. but incredibly enough, I spent two days researching this and cannot find anywhere someone showing, answering or explaining how to mount this spindle. Or maybe I'm the only one that ever wondered about this

...just a wild idea, mount the spindle on a Rotary Table for B axis or design something to rotate. (if needed)

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...v-plates/h7527

Quote Originally Posted by gmogames View Post
    Honestly, that is my next step, I was just trying to avoid manually doing this if there is a solution already in place for it. but incredibly enough, I spent two days researching this and cannot find anywhere someone showing, answering or explaining how to mount this spindle. Or maybe I'm the only one that ever wondered about this
    LOL! Seems like finding useful information on the net is getting harder these days.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...just a wild idea, mount the spindle on a Rotary Table for B axis or design something to rotate. (if needed)

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...v-plates/h7527
    Interesting! but it does cost more than what I paid for this chinese spindle and would probably be cheaper to buy a new round spindle and get the round spindle mount from Avid, which I was also considering doing haha

In case anyone ever find this post in the future with a similar concern.

I ended up drilling into that mounting plate. I had to think outside the box a bit on this. I couldn't drill and tap the holes because I was drilling "freehand" and I couldn't be sure that the holes would be perfectly in the correct position and square to the mount, and if a bit off, it would cause issues during the cutting.

So I positioned the spindle on top of the plate, made sure it was dead center, with a sharpie I marked the locations of the holes, then I marked the locations again with a center punch and drilled with my drill press using a 1/4'' drill bit (which is a bit larger than the machine screw I was using), that way it would give me some room to make small adjustments on the position.

After drilling and being happy about it, I went to mount it and of course, the location of the holes for this spindle on this mount on this standard machine, wouldn't allow me to have access to the back to add a nut, so I went back, with the largest drill bit I had (and it was the perfect size of the nut), I drilled from the back about halfway through, making a recess so I could fit the nut and have the mount be flush against the machine.

So everything worked fine in the end. Now I need to make small adjustments as I did a tramming run and have some ridges on both x and y axis.

Cheers

GMo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image.jpg  

Personally I would have paid a local machinist to make the holes (accurately) for you.

I should add that final decision on Avid vs building Joe's CNC is that I didn't want to have to drill a ton of holes in metal.