585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Rubber layer between plates

Hi everyone,

I designed my own cnc mill to mostly cut aluminium, plastic and maybe a little bit of wood.
    The spindle is a 2.2 kw watercooled chinese spindle, that i know is by far not the perfect for metal, but i think it will do the job. The gentry is fixed and it has 10+ mm (thickness depends on the local manufacturers stock) steel plates that will be welded together. I decided that for the sake of easier assembly and the deformation i will separate the gentry and i will bolt them together. I looked at a lot of videos on milling aluminium on routers and i think this will be rigid enough for aluminium, but i might need to cut some steel and i am concered about vibrations.

What i was thinking is to add a rubber layer between the 2 plates and maybe that would help dampening the vibrations.
    My other thought was to seal the bottom of the frame and fill it with some fine material like sand, but i am not sure if that would help if it moves freely in the bottom.

What do you think about this?
    I would also appreciate comments on the design(The spindle, motors, ballscrew and the aluminium frame is fixed, but other stuff is not)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill1.jpg