584,802 active members*
4,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Step/dir Servo Drive selection

Step/dir Servo Drive selection

Hi There,
    I am tryin to pick a servo drive to xyz some servos on an older CNC knee mill I plan to retrofit with a Centroid Acorn control. I was curious if any of you have experience with these drives and would recommend or not recommend them? I am also very open to any other options that you would recommend. The servos are 63Vdc, 3.75 amps, .25hp rated servos. I realize these servos are a little underpowered for the fairly beefy robotool they are on, but I was happy enough with their performance before the old control died, so they should continue to be ok.

Viper 80
    Viper 80 (replaces V75), ViperServo

DG4S-08020
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/dg4s-08020-dc-servo-drive.html

Geckodrive G320X
    https://www.geckodrive.com/g320x-dig...rvo-drive.html

I admittedly do not know a whole lot about servo drives and am curious if these drives have pros/cons I should know about, or if there is some significantly better alternative.

The servos have these encoders on them currently.
    https://www.newark.com/broadcom-limi...3c09ef0a240610

I do have a few CUI AMT113Q-V encoders I picked up from an odd job my work did one time and were going to throw away. I could switch out the original encoders if needed to get better performance too.

Re: Step/dir Servo Drive selection

Is budget tight?

I would probably just get rid of the existing servos and buy new matched AC servos (I'm very happy with my Delta B3 servo - manual is very good).

I've wasted too many hours screwing around with old DC servo and dumb drives (like the G320x) and was not happy.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Is budget tight?

I would probably just get rid of the existing servos and buy new matched AC servos (I'm very happy with my Delta B3 servo - manual is very good).

I've wasted too many hours screwing around with old DC servo and dumb drives (like the G320x) and was not happy.
    Yea the budget is a bit tight. I have about $1200, but that has to cover the VFD, Acorn Board, power supply and the servo drives. I would love to go to an AC servo/drive, but that would be another $1000 on top at least. Unless there is such a thing as 3 AC servo with drives for around $600-$700 that can run off of straight 120AC or 240AC without a power supply, I think I will have to stick with the DC servos.

have you read this thread ... I have gecko dc servo 320x, if you buy now, they are expensive too, not too much different with new ac servo ... ac servo has much better performance ...

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    have you read this thread ... I have gecko dc servo 320x, if you buy now, they are expensive too, not too much different with new ac servo ... ac servo has much better performance ...
    Thats a risky setup right there... more risk than I am willing to take on for $850.