584,798 active members*
4,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Importing geometry into solidworks-why can't I select an end face as a boss extrude?!

Importing geometry into solidworks-why can't I select an end face as a boss extrude?!

Importing a "Solidworks" file supplied by a manufacture. It's a linear rail assembly, I'm importing the rail.

Simple, simple stuff here. I have a short section of rail modeled in whatever they modeled it in, and it was exported as a "*.SLDPRT".

Solidworks opens the file, says "Hey, let's run featureworks and get this straightened out!" and proceeds to recognize features in the absolute dumbest way possible. Dumbest way possible, but the features are dimensionally accurate.

I want it to pick up the end profile, and extrude that end profile along the length of the rail. Then, drop the screw holes and counterbores from the top face of the resulting solid. This would make sense, as the entire design of the rail is contained in this end profile. A single sketch, extruded along the length, would give the whole rail in any length you need. Then linear pattern the screw holes.

Featureworks decides that the best way to model this is draw a rectangular base, extrude upwards to the top face, then chamfer and fillet away the profile. This leaves a model that can't quickly be adjusted for different lengths of linear rail. It also has dozens of features that could be obviated away in a single sketch.

How do I get Featureworks to import this thing the way I want? The interactive checkbox throws errors regardless of any selection I make when I try to run the interactive mode.

Re: Importing geometry into solidworks-why can't I select an end face as a boss extru

Hi switch.
    Have you found an answer to this challenge? Are you using Solidworks and if so what version?
    I have experienced something similar when working with 8020 Aluminum Extrusion profiles.
    vic

Re: Importing geometry into solidworks-why can't I select an end face as a boss extru

Quote Originally Posted by switch2472 View Post
    Importing a "Solidworks" file supplied by a manufacture. It's a linear rail assembly, I'm importing the rail.

Simple, simple stuff here. I have a short section of rail modeled in whatever they modeled it in, and it was exported as a "*.SLDPRT".

Solidworks opens the file, says "Hey, let's run featureworks and get this straightened out!" and proceeds to recognize features in the absolute dumbest way possible. Dumbest way possible, but the features are dimensionally accurate.

I want it to pick up the end profile, and extrude that end profile along the length of the rail. Then, drop the screw holes and counterbores from the top face of the resulting solid. This would make sense, as the entire design of the rail is contained in this end profile. A single sketch, extruded along the length, would give the whole rail in any length you need. Then linear pattern the screw holes.

Featureworks decides that the best way to model this is draw a rectangular base, extrude upwards to the top face, then chamfer and fillet away the profile. This leaves a model that can't quickly be adjusted for different lengths of linear rail. It also has dozens of features that could be obviated away in a single sketch.

How do I get Featureworks to import this thing the way I want? The interactive checkbox throws errors regardless of any selection I make when I try to run the interactive mode.
    Post the file or a link where we can download it and take a look

I have NEVER had good results with feature works. Turn it off. You shouldn't need to use feature works just to extrude an existing face. Just use your "Move Face" command to offset or translate it. Or... Create a sketch and project the edges and extrude that.

Sorry for not updating this thread-I ended up just robbing the face geometry and creating a new file.

The original file is available through Hiwin, I just emailed and asked for a solidworks model of the HG25 rail system.