584,800 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > PhotoVCarve and VCarve Pro > Import a lime drawing and use CNC to draw it on paper

Import a lime drawing and use CNC to draw it on paper

IvcarvePro 8.5
    I have some line drawing I have made freehand, and I would like to use VCP to import them and using a felt tip marker on the CNC draw them on paper.

Currently the only way I know how to do that is to take a photo of the hand drawings and import it into VCP as a JPG file then select the Vcarve utility and generate Goode which I can then use the CNC to draw the shapes, the problem is that Vcarve generated two lines for Vcarve Ng the center out.

In the attachment below the original hand drawing is in the center, and a smaller CNC drawing is on the left and the two lines almost disappear because of the width of the felt tip I’m using in the CNC, if I enlarge the image as shown by the right side example the two lines are clearly visible.

Is there a way to have VCP draw just a single line so I could enlarge the hand drawings on the CNC.

Thanks
    Hager

Re: Import a lime drawing and use CNC to draw it on paper

If I understand the question correctly,you are taking a photograph of the hand drawn graphic and importing it into Vcarve.If this part goes well can you clean up any blurred lines after using the trace bitmap utility and they use a single point engrave process?You may have to invent a new tool for the tool library to achieve the outcome you are seeking and a very close look at a high quality (the highest the system will allow and in 3D) will be useful.

Cool Re: Import a lime drawing and use CNC to draw it on paper

First of all you should convert your photograph to, at least, grayscale image and adjust brightness and contrast to obtain almost BW image. I use GIMP for that operation.
    Next, you have to vectorize the image ON THE CENTER LINE not using VCP (as it can't do it ). I prefer Inkscape.
    Export the vectors as DXF and then you can manipulate those vectors in VCP.
    You should Curve Fit Vectors to minimize number of points in VCP.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    First of all you should convert your photograph to, at least, grayscale image and adjust brightness and contrast to obtain almost BW image. I use GIMP for that operation.
    Next, you have to vectorize the image ON THE CENTER LINE not using VCP (as it can't do it ). I prefer Inkscape.
    Export the vectors as DXF and then you can manipulate those vectors in VCP.
    You should Curve Fit Vectors to minimize number of points in VCP.
    Thanks Zasto ill try Gimp.
    Hager

I downloaded Inkscape and loaded my file. Finally found the grayscale and vectorize on the centerline. Clicked that and nothing happened, the screen re displayed but nothing happened.
    Is there a step I’m missing, if you have time you can give me a step by step procedure.
    Thanks
    Hager

I have tried to use Inkscape and if there is a more exasperating program,I have yet to find it.I was attempting to trace outlines myself recently and spent a bit of time watching the basic tutorials on youtube and they did help a bit.It doesn't easily distinguish between the image you are tracing and the new traced outline.Maybe a bit more experimenting with activating layers would help me but then so would a larger preview window,If you try activating the image area and dragging the image to one side you ought to see the original and the scan,but goodness knows which is which at the outset.Then you can delete or switch off the layer and focus on the scan,which may need an amount of cleaning up.Which Vcarve may be better suited to in spite of the less than stellar CAD side of things.

How to trace on center line using Inkscape.

https://youtu.be/u-qmcwAeQac
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.