584,826 active members*
5,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Amada HFB 170-40 Issues

We recently purchased a used HFB 170-40 187 ton 14' press brake, and we can not make it work. The machine boots, and would initialize. Before when going through the initialization it would move the initiate the backgauge whenever we were instructed to press the closing pedal. Now it closes one ram(no backgauge movement) and of course it faults the machine. any suggestions?

Re: Amada HFB 170-40 Issues

Upon further investigation. I think I have narrowed the problem down to the linear scale on the Y2 axis. While the operators manuals doesn't go into detail I spoke with an Amada tech that told me it first slightly moves the Y axis down to sense the position and then initiates the back-gauge. Without a signal telling it the Y axis is moving it will continue to try and move the cylinder. So I Found the connections for the linear scales, swapped the Y1 and Y2 and the problem switched sides. Which in my mind says the board, and relays are working properly since it now thinks the missing reading is on the Y1 axis. I tried taking it apart and cleaning the glass and reader, but it did not fix the problem. So I have another one on the way that should arrive tomorrow. I will update the thread if it fixes the problem.

The linear scale fixed that issue. The machine will now initialize perfectly. The problem is now when I set it to manual bend, and start to move down to bend the machine starts to move fine. Then the Y1 axis stops about 3 inches down and gives a "MAX DELTA AXIS EXCEEDED" error message. Y2 continues to travel down until you release the closing pedal. Has anyone experienced this before?

My Amada was already retrofitted with a Presstek NC controller when I bought it. Its very nice.
    see https://icontrol.net.au/

Mine is a bottom up machine so it only has one Y axis.

Its a bit of a long shot but on my brake, there is a trapdoor on the right hand side of the machine with an adjustable limit switch behind it that needs to be adjusted. Maybe have a look around for something similar as it prevented movement after I changed tooling until the tech enlightened me.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

I haven't found an adjustable limit switch. I have tried everything I can think of, and we have an Amada tech scheduled to be here Monday. I think maybe both scales were somehow damaged in transit, and the second scale while giving a movement reading thinks the the Y1 has either not moved enough, or has moved too much. We are looking at retrofitting the controls eventually, but for 30k from the the 2 companies I have contacted seems pretty steep. The main company I am considering is pccontrols out of Arlington, TX. Partially because they are in state, and because from the free demo of their bend wizard software while pretty basic; it does seem to work well. It is also simple to program which makes operator training easy.

Good luck with that then. I had to wait for a tech to get mine going too but it only travelled about a mile. It would not hurt to contact the guys I linked to. I know they do work internationally. The software will work on any Windows PC. I replaced the PC and touchscreen in the console and am using an Odroid H2+ PC. They have some videos of their control in action and I think you can download a demo.
    I would have thought the price was in the order of AUD $10-$12k fitted but I have no idea. $30k sounds crazy!
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

I totally agree. The quotes I received were about 20k for retrofit, and 10k to install. I have priced components, and am experienced in coding. Best I can figure I am paying about 5k in parts at most, 15k in software, and 10 they quoted to install. This is crazy when you figure it isn't a one off program with a million lines of code. It is a base software with tweaks to work with individual manufactures. I will reach out to them, but I think the travel expenses will drive the price to about the same price point.

Bonjour,

j ai un problème de CNC MACHINE AMADA HFB8025, si vous pouver m'aider à résoudre le probléme de systéme "besoin de disquette de système " ou de me conseiller
    merci bien

We ended up replacing the other linear scale as well. It was providing the z pulse for origin, but no readings for travel. 6 of the relays were slightly burned but functional, we replaced them and recalibrated everything. The machine works perfectly now. I still need to figure out the graphics programming, but it isn't really needed for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RickW2007 View Post
    We ended up replacing the other linear scale as well. It was providing the z pulse for origin, but no readings for travel. 6 of the relays were slightly burned but functional, we replaced them and recalibrated everything. The machine works perfectly now. I still need to figure out the graphics programming, but it isn't really needed for anything.
    Hello Rick; maybe you can help me out with my issue, we have a hfb press brake, which had the same problem as yours; only ours worked after cleaning the linear scale. We can bend parts and all, but the issue after reinstalling the scale, is that for that cylinder Y1, it does some sort of jump, when the ram is starting to open after finishing the bend, do you happen to know what is it that we need to calibrate to get the ram to work smooth up and down? Thanks in advance.
    Forgot to mention, the same “jump” is present when pushing the opening pedal to fully open the ram; it first does this jumping and then moves normal.