585,663 active members*
3,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > 1997 Milltronics VM17 question

Hybrid View

1997 Milltronics VM17 question

Hello, I have the chance to buy this machine for $1500. The owner is getting a divorce and he’s done messing with the machine and needs it gone. He had the servos checked out snd had a “amplifier rebuilt. It comes with two “Like new” Kurt vices, about 20 C40 holders, flood coolant tank and pump, 20 tool changer. It stopped running and a company was helping him fix it, and then the company just disappeared.

I’ve been looking at buying a Precision Mathews mill and gutting it, installing ball screws, servos and drivers, a new 3 phase motor with VFD and a Centriod Acorn board. Would l be better off to buy this, remove all the current servos and boards in the cabinet, and retrofit the machine with a Centroid Oak board with new servos and drivers? I don’t have 3 phase in my shop, so I would also need to replace the motor with a 5-7.5 motor driven by a VFD or install a ATC powered spindle. I could then sell off all the parts I remove and cover a lot of my retrofitting cost.

It currently has Yasaka Servos and drives and they could be interfaces with the Oak board because it supports the servos.
    I don’t plan on doing any heavy machining, just gun parts and milling slides with raptor cuts and cutting sight dovetails. I know this is a big machine, but I’d be about the same money and have a sturdy machine that would be better than a import frame that would need epoxy granite and all the other work.
    Please give me your thoughts.

Re: 1997 Milltronics VM17 question

That's completely doable. I did a Milltronics knee mill with Centroid All in one DC servos system and have been very happy with the results. You will have some complexity getting the tool change macro set up, but I believe Centroid has some of this figured out already. As for the spindle drive, most Milltronics machine will run on single phase, maybe at a slightly reduced hp rating, but they tended to use oversize VFD's and they work well on single phase. I'm running a 5hp spindle and my son runs his 7.5hp Partner 1H on single phase.

Thank you for this reply. I missed it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdslasers View Post
    Thank you for this reply. I missed it somehow.
    Hi Rdlasers, Does the machine power on and boot up? reset etc? I don't know THAT particular machine but there should be no reason to install a new control. The Milltronics is a very good control.

Give me a call and we can discuss more about the machine..

952-288-6340

Sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by Rdlasers View Post
    Hello, I have the chance to buy this machine for $1500. The owner is getting a divorce and he’s done messing with the machine and needs it gone. He had the servos checked out snd had a “amplifier rebuilt. It comes with two “Like new” Kurt vices, about 20 C40 holders, flood coolant tank and pump, 20 tool changer. It stopped running and a company was helping him fix it, and then the company just disappeared.

I’ve been looking at buying a Precision Mathews mill and gutting it, installing ball screws, servos and drivers, a new 3 phase motor with VFD and a Centriod Acorn board. Would l be better off to buy this, remove all the current servos and boards in the cabinet, and retrofit the machine with a Centroid Oak board with new servos and drivers? I don’t have 3 phase in my shop, so I would also need to replace the motor with a 5-7.5 motor driven by a VFD or install a ATC powered spindle. I could then sell off all the parts I remove and cover a lot of my retrofitting cost.

It currently has Yasaka Servos and drives and they could be interfaces with the Oak board because it supports the servos.
    I don’t plan on doing any heavy machining, just gun parts and milling slides with raptor cuts and cutting sight dovetails. I know this is a big machine, but I’d be about the same money and have a sturdy machine that would be better than a import frame that would need epoxy granite and all the other work.
    Please give me your thoughts.
    With one set CNC retrofit kit will bring it alive again.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html