585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > HELP!! Question concerning Haas umbrella Tool Changer Sensor.

HELP!! Question concerning Haas umbrella Tool Changer Sensor.

I have a 2008 Haas Super Mini Mill with an umbrella style tool changer.

The machine started giving me errors today indicating that the tool changer was not going all the way Right ( which would be the home position )

I took the cover off the tool changer and got everything cleaned up and got all the chips out and verified that the tool changer was moving in and out freely when I moved it by hand.

I noticed the sensor that indicates that it's all the way in was still lit.

So I assumed it may be a bad sensor, but when I put a piece of metal in front of it the sensor light goes off.

So doing some more digging I noticed the small metal plate that slides in front of the 2 sensors looks to be out of position. ( when the tool changer is all the way in that metal plate doesn't go in front of the In sensor )

The bolt that holds it appears to be tight.... but it still must of got slid out of position.

So my question is.... how to adjust that plate to the correct location?

Would I just move the tool changer all the way in so it's can move any more, and then start moving that metal plate just to the point that the sensor light goes out?

I've attached a photo..... but it's really hard to get a good photo in that tight place.

I'm kind of in a bind here with my machined down.... so any help would be appreciated....

Thank You!

KentClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20201215_181833.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	454370

Re: HELP!! Question concerning Haas umbrella Tool Changer Sensor.

Just a follow up on this....

It looks like I was not correct on this.... when I push the tool changer all the way OUT ( so that it's near the spindle ) that plate does go over this sensor and the light goes out.

So I'm scratching my head on whats causing this error.

I did notice that this other sensor is on ( see photo )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201215_184723.jpg 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	454372

Just to recap what the symptoms are:

When I try to do a tool change I receive a "Shuttle In Fault"

If I hit the reset I continue to get this error when I try to do a tool change unless I go up and manually move the tool changer motor arm so that the tool changer is all the way to the right ( away from the spindle )

Then it will let me do another tool change, but then it errors out again on the next attempt.

So it looks like it's just not going all the way outward.

I'm not sure how to adjust this?

Thanks,

Kent

I had the same problem on my TM-2P. I found the brushes in the motor were sticking in their holders. I sanded the brushes a bit so they fit freely in the holder, and never had the problem again. Just a couple of quick passes on 120 grit sand paper.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Jim,

Just a quick follow up question....

My motor is located in a very tight spot, so I can't get a screw driver in there to unscrew the covers for the brush's.

It looks like the cover on the end of the motor can be slid off the end by removing a couple of screws.... ( would you happen to know if this is the case? ) I didn't want to break the seal before I checked on this...

My other options would be to remove the whole motor, or remove some of the cabinet panels in order to gain access.

Thanks,

Kent

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201215_215642.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	454374

Sliding the motor cover off with the brushes in place might not be possible.

It does look like the 4 motor mounting bolts could be removed and the motor rotated each direction about 45° to access the brushes.

Mine was easy to get to.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Just a follow up on this in case anyone else is doing this task..... Be sure you take the motor mount screws on the side of the frame where that cam arm is located....

I took the 4 screws off from the other side of the frame and I had all kinds of crank case oil come out from the motor gear box...

This was totally my mistake.... but just wanted to share this so nobody else makes the same mistake...

Kent

...cnc machine's are like a box of chocolates.

You got that right!!! ( You are eating those chocolates... and everything is going great... until you grab that one chocolate that nobody wants! )

When I finally got the motor off the machine, I attempted to get the threaded plastic caps off the brushe's... and they were stuck big time and the caps broke into pieces...

The inside was in really tough shape, so I ended up ordering a new motor and got that installed yesterday and it's working like a charm.

I did notice the tool changer moves a little slower with the new motor compared to the old. ( Don't get me wrong.... its nice and smooth... but just noticed it moves a little slower during a tool change )

I noticed on the motor description that it's a chain drive.... ( my old motor had a gear drive )

I'm just glad to get this machine back up and running.... ( I was kind of lost without it )

Happy the hear you got it going again. :cheers:
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA