585,555 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Maintenance and levelling

Tormach Maintenance and levelling

Hi Folks. Is this a good time in the US for a maintenance thread?

Please post your tips, tricks and comments here.

I start the ball rolling with this video:

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgB2Gy8uy8&t=372s

Re: Tormach Maintenance and levelling

Many thanks Cliff for your time putting together yet another interesting, informative and useful video. Spot on.
    Regarding the tool setter you are developing for the 15L. If I was in the market for one, I too would prefer a light rather than a buzzer. I look forward to seeing what you may come up with for the Mill.

OMG...that's too funny. I have watched so many videos of yours on youtube, looking how to adjust and maintain my Tormach to get the best results I can. It has had me look into things and find things I can't unsee. Now I'm going down that rabbit hole tomorrow, but MountainDew said I should search for a thread by Keen to check twist while I am tearing into my machine tomorrow. What do you know....ThreadExpress is Keen here. Cliff=Keen=threadexpress?
    Great stuff! I "blame" my digging into this hole on your videos.

Threadexpress/Keen/Cliff for rabbit holes!

Yup.

As you may have seen...I'm tearing apart my Tormach on another thread here. I'm going to use many of your ideas for keeping the ways/ballscrews/bellows.....cleaner? One thing I was wondering, my bellows are in good shape, but oil soaked. I wonder how will your caulk/spirits mixture will even stick to them? I'm a bit stuck on the oil distribution manifold. Those check valves just seem overly restrictive. Any ideas on passing/failing this system? Also, a good way to check the bottom/base/Y-ways with a DTI? I'm really at a road block on that step.
    Thanks ThreadExpress/Keen/Cliff !

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    As you may have seen...I'm tearing apart my Tormach on another thread here. I'm going to use many of your ideas for keeping the ways/ballscrews/bellows.....cleaner? One thing I was wondering, my bellows are in good shape, but oil soaked. I wonder how will your caulk/spirits mixture will even stick to them? I'm a bit stuck on the oil distribution manifold. Those check valves just seem overly restrictive. Any ideas on passing/failing this system? Also, a good way to check the bottom/base/Y-ways with a DTI? I'm really at a road block on that step.
    Thanks ThreadExpress/Keen/Cliff !
    Hi Tigster.

I washed the bellows down with solvent to clean off the oil residue before applying the sealant.

Yes I do not 100% trust the oil distribution system - I also apply manually from time to time as a back up.

I think you need to use a machine level to check the base/Y slideway is straight - a DTI is chasing your tail.

Cheers Cliff

I did degrease my bellows, mixed silicone with terps and gave them a good coating. Added a secondary oiler, separating Z from the other oilers Got the slight twist out of bed and leveled. Excited to get bellows dry and back on and run some real world tests as the gibs we not adjusted properly either. Thanks Keen for ALL THE POINTERS!

Hi Tigster. I like the idea of a secondary oiler! Do you have a couple of pics of how you fitted it?

Cheers Cliff

I too added a second oiler.
    Have ordered a 0.005mm level from China to check if I have any twist.

Man...I'll warn you now, super sensitive levels will have you pulling your hair out!
    This is my 2nd oiler. It has a bit more flow over the original. Now the lower flow takes care of just Z and the new one takes care of Y and X....as I wrote on John's thread, I used 4mm push to connects and simple plugged the stock line into them. Literally 5 mins. You can see in pic, but I used some aluminum angle iron to tie the screws from corner into the new oiler so it's more solid than just the sheet metal. I think this oiler was $40
    Attachment 456614