584,837 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which distro of linux for linuxcnc

So looking at linuxcnc would like to go that route which distro of linux is best for linuxcnc debian, ubuntu. Install on hp envy i3 or 15 don't remember 1TB harddrive and I think 16gb ram. So I see like Debian(wheezy) or (Jessie) totally new to linux really just need to learn enough so I can use linuxcnc any help please

Re: Which distro of linux for linuxcnc

I'm using a Linux Mint distro/ISO put together by a member of the LinuxCNC forum. Came complete with Mint and LinuxCNC 2.8 premptive (I'm running a Mesa ethernet card). Worked right out of the box.

The build was from last year so there might be something newer.

So another question what are we able to use with linuxcnc usb cable, rj245 port or are we kinda stuck with and older parallel port system cause of linuxcnc's ability

Quote Originally Posted by Dfishingski View Post
    So another question what are we able to use with linuxcnc usb cable, rj245 port or are we kinda stuck with and older parallel port system cause of linuxcnc's ability
    No, USB ports are not real time and cannot be used with LinuxCNC. If you use a Mesa card you can use an Ethernet connection via RJ45 or parallel port. Or you can a use a basic BOB (Break-Out-Board) with a parallel port. A Mesa card via Ethernet is likely the best choice. A Mesa card will also expand the list of PC's that will be suitable since the pulse generation is done on the card rather than in software. Check out linuxcnc.org for more info and a lot of helpful members.

The best distro to start with is the default Debian 10 Buster included with the Linuxcnc distro on this page
    Downloads

Linux mint is nice and it is possible to use it now fairly easily because the PREMPT_RT real time kernel is available for installation on the debian repositories but leave that until you have some experience.
    https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...y-easy-install
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

The OP is contemplating far more computing power than he needs.It isn't the resource hog that Windows is! I run the old 2.7 version via a parallel port and super basic breakout board and the old HP box has a 2.7GHz dual core processor and 4 Gb RAM.You are extremely unlikely to be speed restricted by the computer if you have a hobby machine as the strength of the frame and the power of the spindle will be the limiting factors. It might be best to download a distro or two and run them as live installs to see what the latency of the computer actually is and you won't need a functioning CNC to machine to do so.I can't remember if its also possible to run the program,but it will show the toolpath and might be a good learning tool.

I do have two old desk tops laying around ok ne is Pentium 3 other is 4 but have no idea of how much ram they had I wouldn't think much

Quote Originally Posted by Dfishingski View Post
    I do have two old desk tops laying around ok ne is Pentium 3 other is 4 but have no idea of how much ram they had I wouldn't think much
    That would be a good case for downloading a distro and doing the latency test on each.If the numbers are good,you will be ready to go.In reality you aren't asking for much more activity than it takes to drive a printer.A few tasks will need to run a few dozen lines of code but it really isn't a demanding function and computing power has increased hugely from the times when CNC machines were a novelty.If you look at some of the basic machines on youtube I don't think the computer is the weak link in any.You will find several people using Raspberry pi or similar front ends.Which actually saves a bit of workshop space,if that is an issue.

I think if you are going to attempt to use such old PC's, the Wheezy Debian 9 Version 2.7 would be the best option but it does put you about 4-5 years behind the current Linuxcnc version. 2 gb Ram should be adequate but later versions 4 gb preferred.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Ok will probably just go the messa card and rj245 route then I actually have another laptop i could use with I think 6gb ram not sure which chip it has I think it has windows 7 on it right now I will have to take a look

Laptops are poor candidates for linuxcnc and real time operating systems because all of the power savings features can result in excessive latency.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

It might be interesting, for a number of us, to know what the latency figures are for all the computers under consideration.I must admit to looking at the Mint Distro if/when I upgrade things,but for now the computer isn't my limiting factor.

Dfishingski , look in your laptop bios and see if you can turn of the power saving feature and other things you don't need for cnc.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    It might be interesting, for a number of us, to know what the latency figures are for all the computers under consideration.I must admit to looking at the Mint Distro if/when I upgrade things,but for now the computer isn't my limiting factor.
    There has been some attempts recently to gather this data
    https://forum.linuxcnc.org/18-comput...nuxcnc?start=0

I must confess I have never had an issue as I use Mesa ethernet hardware.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Good luck with your Linux journey, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance!

Hey there! If you're looking to use linuxcnc, you're definitely on the right track! As for which distro to use, both Debian and Ubuntu are great options, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

Hey there! If you're looking to use linuxcnc, you're definitely on the right track! As for which distro to use, both Debian and Ubuntu are great options, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. However, I would also like to suggest looking into CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support. It's a stable and reliable option that's specifically designed for industrial use, so it may be worth considering.