584,833 active members*
5,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Query - anyone out there retrofitted any other controller on Multicam routers ?

Query - anyone out there retrofitted any other controller on Multicam routers ?

Hi all
    Just a query has anyone out there ever retro fitted a fanuc controller (or any other make ) to a multicam router.
    The standard controllers are pretty notchy while transiting through a 3-D arc and I am reliably informed that there is nothing that can be done to improve the motion.
    I was just wondering if it`s cost effective to upgrade or would it be cheaper to just buy a machine that uses a better quality controller ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Query - anyone out there retrofitted any other controller on Multicam routers ?

How about upgrading the controller for free (well almost) You still have to buy the hardware, but I'm giving away the software for now. It is running very successfully on 4 machines at this time with full 4 axis profiling capability. Will digest millions of lines of G-code with deep look ahead for smooth motion.

Upgrading a MultiCam should be pretty easy, the ones I have worked with are all step & direction with the loop closed at the servo drive rather than the controller. I have also seen MultiCam machines with open loop steppers. Either way it should be pretty easy, very basic machines.

Re: Query - anyone out there retrofitted any other controller on Multicam routers ?

We retrofitted a multicam mg, with centroid software. works great

Hi Jim, I have a Multicam M3000, stepper drives, 2001 year that the control board is bad,can you tell me about your controller,I am looking at the acorn but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopplastics View Post
    Hi Jim, I have a Multicam M3000, stepper drives, 2001 year that the control board is bad,can you tell me about your controller,I am looking at the acorn but not sure.
    Acorn would be a good fit for a stepper driven M3000, a rather easy and inexpensive retrofit.

My system is a bit more complex and expensive. The software is free to anyone who can use it, but The Galil controller that is the heart of the system can be a bit pricey. The base price of a 4 axis Galil DMC-4040 controller from Galil is $2500. You can buy these on eBay for about $200 and up, and I have no problem buying used Galil controllers from eBay vendors because the Galil controllers are very robust.

My system is more flexible than the acorn, and in my opinion more user friendly from an operator standpoint. Custom options can be added with minimal pain. The really nice thing about my system is that there are two physical buttons, an E stop, and an Enable. Everything everything else is done with a mouse click on the screen, or from the keyboard. Also supports a touch screen. Runs on Windows 7/10/11, not much of computer is required. I prefer the mini computers, about 6x6x2 inches. Fits nicely in a control cabinet.

Either system is a dramatic step up from the MultiCam system, which uses the most convoluted interface I have ever seen.

Here is a screen shot of my software that is running on my mill.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA