Hi there. I have been buying parts to build my first cnc router. At the time when ordering parts there was a considerable shortage with COVID, so I bought what I could get being concerned I might not get anything if I didn't just finally order.

No I am trying to decide the best way is to build a sturdy router that can mill woods, plastics and aluminum. My main design consideration is whether or not I should build my gantry fixed or moving. My inclination is to build a fixed gantry and have the table move. That is the way my manual mills work and they are build that way for rigidness.

Here are the parts I have so far.

--HGR20-700mm linear rails and SFU1605 ballscrews for both X and Y axis.

--HGR20-300mm linear rails and SFU1605 ballscrew for the Z axis.

--Longs Motors Nema 23 270oz steppers with DM542A drivers. (I bought these over the 425oz steppers because the 425's had an inductance of 3.8mH vs 1.8mH for the 270's. )

--Makita RT0701C router. (I was worried I would get a bunk chinese spindle or VFD, that seems to be my luck, so went with the Makita as they have a good track record. Plus it is lighter weight, and I can upgrade later and have a nice little trim router for around the shop.)

So what do you guys and gal think? Fixed vs moving gantry cnc router? Pros and cons of each? What is your preference and why?

Thanks a lot,
Greebe

BTW, I know there are some old threads on this, but all that I saw were between 7 and 15 years old and a lot has changed in tech in that time, which is why I am starting this post.