I've got several CNC devices in my home shop. This includes a Laser (FSLaser), Waterjet (Wazer), Router/Plasma Combo (Torchmate), and a handfull of 3D Printers.

However, I've never given the 24"x48" Torchmate router the attention it deserved (mostly not at all). Largely because of its size and setup requirements. So I purchased a much smaller, more manageable 3018-MX3 to establish some milling skills and techniques. The 3018-MX3 works natively with Mach3 but its still kind of a "black box"...

I would like to rebuild my 3018-MX3 control electronics for complete compatibility with Mach3, Mach4,and UCCNC. (The MX3 controller is only compatible with Mach3). I'ld like to do this so I can experiment with all three software packages and identify the one I prefer. I'll basically keep the steppers (1.3A/12V), stop switches, and mechanical assembly while replacing all the electronics. I don't mind "over building" the control solution as it may ultimately move forward into a larger more capable machine at some point.

It appears I could basically use a CNCDrive UC100 (I want USB connectivity) paired with a Gecko G540 to accomplish all my goals. (It appears I don't need any stepper drivers with the G540). The 3018 already has a 24V/5A power supply so maybe I can reuse that as well.

- Can anyone verify that the UC100 and G540 would be the only components I need?
- Any comments on my goals, the plan in general, the proposed solution, or other alternatives?
- Would there be a nice tidy (PNP) ethernet-based solution as well? (without requiring a messy BOB?)