585,712 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to cut a long foam hole - like in foam pool noodles

Hello,

I am new to laser cutters, I would appreciate any advise. What rig / machine would be working to cut 2 meter (7ft) long hole in polyurethane foam )?
    It would be similar to the foam pool noodle holes cut (z- axis hole), though my pieces are simply a rectangular full mattress block of polyurethane foam

Thank you!

Re: How to cut a long foam hole - like in foam pool noodles

cutting a hole long like this (2 meters) would need a pretty huge machine and some kind of weird jig system.

I think what you should take a look instead is a hot cutting wire for foam. making some kind of tool that will go from
    one side to another and having a jig to hold down your material. The hardest part will be to make the gantry going back
    and forth holding the cutting wire tool

Check from 9min23
    https://youtu.be/bqG5I7sl8kk?t=563

having a perfect round tube wire cutting system with a gantry over your material could do it.

I don't think laser is the good tool to do that. laser have focal point (steady work-to-material distance) otherwise the
    cut will get messy or not precise.
    AXYZ Millennium router CNC: https://goo.gl/gxvdcA
    Glass cutting CNC table: https://goo.gl/VrDqGD

Thanks for the reply, that looks good and more practical. Some have said hot wire is not suitable for flexible soft polyurethane, I don't understand why, is it because of the fumes?

For sure it would be necessary to extract the fumes and/or use a high quality mask-respirator, the gas out from that will be dangerous.

For the cost needed to try it on a small sample, you should try it and and see by yourself before going all in with a custom system for your project.

I know some company cut polyurethane foam using waterjet cnc but the cutting thickness is not 2m for sure! Thats way too long for that, those waterjet do have some "focal point" too so I don't think it could work unless you make the cutting head go inside.

I would make a core cutter from some tubing like conduit just grind teeth in the end and use a drill