584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MB20 quill tight

Hi, do you guys have any suggestions on getting quill on my MB20 to loosen up. It was built in 1998 and I am the second owner. The quill looks brand new but is tight to run up and down. Previous owner never used the quill. I took off the quill lock to see if it was stuck but didn’t make a difference. Also loosened up the three top nuts on the head and tried to tap head around while running to let it center itself but still tight. Have lubed the heck out of it with WD40 and kept running up and down to see if just gunked up from not using but didn’t help either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: MB20 quill tight

WD40 isn't the thing to use. Get some DTE24 or Vactra #2 and you should have some oiling cups on the side of the spindle housing somewhere. Not exactly sure why you would want to use the quill when you can use the CNC to control the drilling action.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    WD40 isn't the thing to use. Get some DTE24 or Vactra #2 and you should have some oiling cups on the side of the spindle housing somewhere. Not exactly sure why you would want to use the quill when you can use the CNC to control the drilling action.
    I only used WD40 to try and loosen up if was gummed up. I did use Vactra #2 in the oil cups. I like using the quill when drilling out broken taps. I like having the manual feed back. Just thought would be nice for the quill to run up and down smoothly.

Re: MB20 quill tight

Hi, Make sure the quill know is loosening. unscrew it and make sure the 2 brass angled bushings are separating.

Sportybob