584,837 active members*
5,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > 1100 mill (Changing the arrow keys to move the table?)

1100 mill (Changing the arrow keys to move the table?)

Right now

The right arrow jogs X-axis in the positive X direction (table moves left of operator). The left arrow jogs X-axis in the negative X direction (table moves right of operator).

Id like the right arrow key to move table towards the right, the left arrow key to move the table to the left

The up arrow jogs Y-axis in the positive Y direction (moves table towards operator). The down arrow jogs Y-axis in the negative Y direction (moves table away from operator)

I would like the Y arrow keys to be reversed too!

The reason is all my other cnc equipment operates this way so it really throws me off with the arrow keys going in the opposite directions on the tormach mill
    anyone know how i can change them in PP?
    Thanks!

Re: 1100 mill (Changing the arrow keys to move the table?)

There is no easy way to do that. You would have to dig into the PathPilot config file where teh Hotkeys are setup and change the key assignment for jogging. Then everytime you upgrade PathPilot you have to go back and reassign teh hotkeys again.

(;-) TP

I think you will find that modifying the sign of SCALE in the .ini file will do you what you are looking for.

Be aware that this might or will confuse the probing direction relative to diagrams shown in the ui.

But your best bet is to modify tormach_mill_ui.py around line 3988:
    Code:
    elif event.type == gtk.gdk.KEY_PRESS and kv in self.jogging_keys:
                if kv == gtk.keysyms.Right:
                    # right arrow - X positive
                    jog_axis = 0
                    jog_direction = 1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.Left:
                    jog_axis = 0
                    jog_direction = -1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.Up:
                    jog_axis = 1
                    jog_direction = 1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.Down:
                    jog_axis = 1
                    jog_direction = -1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.Prior:
                    jog_axis = 2
                    jog_direction = 1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.Next:
                    jog_axis = 2
                    jog_direction = -1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.period:
                    jog_axis = 3
                    jog_direction = 1
                elif kv == gtk.keysyms.comma:
                    jog_axis = 3
                    jog_direction = -1
                # After determining the axis and direction, run the jog iff the key
                # is not already depressed
    Gerrit.

Another possible idea would be to remap the arrow keys at the X windows level.

Maybe try a hardware programmable keyboard where eprom in keyboard is reprogrammed and runs independent of computer operating system. Vortex keyboard for example.

1100 mill (Changing the arrow keys to move the table?)

Or the kludge method. put some reversed arrow stickers over the existing arrows.

Semi related I could never remember the relationship of the jog wheel rotation to table direction. Got sick of always picking the wrong direction so I made up a magnetic cheat sheet placard. Laser etched.

OMG that is so much nicer than my post it note version. You'd think with a garage full of fabrication devices and CAD knowledge, I'd have something nicer than a piece of paper with scribbles on it for my direction -cheat sheet. I gotta get on that...

Pathpilot follows the convention of describing the tool movement relative to the workpiece.

Cartesian axes (X Y Z) are the same as graphs. X is horizontal (left to right). X positive will move the tool to the right.

Look at the tool movement relative to the workpiece. Don't focus on the table.

If you change the jogging direction, your manual jogs will move opposite to gcode programs (unless you reverse the whole machine and are happy with parts coming out reversed compared with CAD?)
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

I had my jog wheel changed but everytime I updated it was changed back, finally got used to it to a degree, still have a bit of difficulty setting up the proble etc. It amounted to changing one of the lines in the X and Y axes to a negative number, it worked perfectly.

I never use the arrow keys so have no idea there, this was done when one could change the .ini file, today things changed there are rewritten on pathpilot boot.

The change had no effect on how the machine ran a program.
    mike sr

You can still change the ini file and have it stick (until an update). Just have to edit the _specific.ini one. PP combines all the ini files into 1 file at startup. easy to see what that resulting file is by doing ls -lt on the configs directory.

Gerrit

@Paul-DB

Very nice, do you have a dxf file for the plate :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    You can still change the ini file and have it stick (until an update). Just have to edit the _specific.ini one. PP combines all the ini files into 1 file at startup. easy to see what that resulting file is by doing ls -lt on the configs directory.

Gerrit
    this is locked out as well, I tried it and it brings up a window but nothing can be selected from it.
    mike sr

Left Ctl/Alt/Shift on start to get to desktop, open a terminal and edit the ~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/ ini file. In my case I am emulating a 1100-2 so the autogenerated file is tormach_1100-2_specific.ini. At the top of this file is explicitly states the file is autogenerated and will be overwritten. I make my changes to tormach_1100-2_7i92_specific.ini to alter travels and speeds for my machine.

Gerrit

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    Left Ctl/Alt/Shift on start to get to desktop, open a terminal and edit the ~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/ ini file. In my case I am emulating a 1100-2 so the autogenerated file is tormach_1100-2_specific.ini. At the top of this file is explicitly states the file is autogenerated and will be overwritten. I make my changes to tormach_1100-2_7i92_specific.ini to alter travels and speeds for my machine.

Gerrit
    I have to get to the terminal by ctrl alt x, the other wont work on my machine.
    a couple updates back I could edit this file also tormach_1100-3_ specific.ini, this doesnt work now for some reason.

thanks for the info, I will experiment next week with it.
    mike sr

According to Mechanical Keyboards, the following can be fully reprogrammed:

"You may fully write and reprogram the following models of the KBParadise V60 Type R keyboards:"
    https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop...=search_list&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=N&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0&s[search]=type+r

That would seem to be the definitive solution. (Hat tip to Samstu)
    Unclear how much effort that might require or how to do it, at least at the MechKbd site.

They also said
    "Another item which is a bit more custom and considerably smaller is the following PCB kit:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop..._detail&p=1709

Which is a cheap PCB which holds switches and a Teensy 2.0. As it's got six switches, that might also be a good solution IF one wanted to make a custom case and have another puck sitting around. Probably a bit of a kludge. That does suggest that one could add some additional outboard switching and code to a Teensy and get a jog shuttle equivalent with arrow keys. Sounds like another custom pendant project.

If you want to build your own switchbox with special arrow keys, coolant on/off, CycleStart, etc, the Spring 2018 issue of Digital Machinist Magazine has a detailed article on doing so complete with Arduino source code. See Digital Machinist articles Downloads

Thank you for the reminder Ken, I have the parts, just need to slot it into my build schedule :-) About to try out drilling with my machine, I need to mount a vise etc.