584,817 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inventory and Accounting Software

I'm currently using Quickbooks Pro contractor software to run the business, it's been OK, does mostly what I need, but it looks like they are going cloud based, and not really updating anything.

What I need is a better inventory side of it, I can build assemblies in QB, but I want to be able to build, show what's missing, and create PO's for the missing parts, and update inventory in one step. Adding barcodes to the parts boxes would be a plus.

I'm a small business, so I don't have thousands of dollars for software, I know that narrows it down a bit...

Thanks

CR

Re: Inventory and Accounting Software

Most accounting has gone to the cloud. But some of it can be your cloud (eg on a server on premises or on your own VPS server out on the WWW). Odoo ERP is really hard to beat. It has two flavours Open source (free) or Enterprise (paid with more features and support) The Enterprise version can be on premise (self hosted) or Cloud hosted by Odoo.

I run Odoo Enterprise on premise (on our own web server) and have extensive customisations in place. It is by far and away the best manufacturing system I've used. We have it fully integrated with our web site and shipping systems and I have a direct printing module of my own design. From a manufacturing order page, I can say print product barcodes and the Odoo server sends a print job direct to my Zebra barcode printer. If there are 200 widgets being made, it will print 200 labels in one mouse click. You tell it to check availability and it will show what parts are missing. Getting Odoo to order all of our fasteners based on reorder rules has been a godsend. It also allows definition of workstations and routing of manufacturing through them with time tracking (eg. plasma cutting, press brake, welding etc) It also supports make to order so a sale will create the manufacturing order.

For another alternative, you could look at Front Accounting (its free open source). I have used it and liked it but I did not use it for manufacturing at that time.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Rod, thanks for the reply, I'm it is a good package, but I'm trying to stay away from monthly fees, I'd like a one time buy in..

Thanks
    CR

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    Rod, thanks for the reply, I'm it is a good package, but I'm trying to stay away from monthly fees, I'd like a one time buy in..

Thanks
    CR
    You can stay away from monthly fees with either Odoo or Front Accounting. Just use the open source versions and its free!

I'd be very surprised if you could find any package that is not browser based these days.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au