584,817 active members*
4,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question RS232 for data collect with Arduino.

Greetings, I'm new in the forum and objectively at all, I am a student who does not know much about CNC machines and that my purchasing power is low (I do not have much money), I hope not to be too much trouble and you can help me in this consultation.

This is the scenario, I have access to Haas machines and I want to collect the data from the machine, specially the number of cycles, number of the program that's running at the time and the cycle time, the idea is to make an automated record of the cycles executed on the machine.
    I have seen some solutions like Haas Connect, but the machines that I have access to are older models (TM-1 from 2006, for example) and only have the RS232 port, so I would like to know if you know any option for this scenario.

Anyway, I have this "idea", but I would like you to give me your opinion:

Luckily Haas machines have the "DPRINT" option, so I could try use some kind of Arduino/Micro controller based circuit to read the RS232 data, store it and do whatever I want with it (in this case, send the information to a server and update a data base).
    The most affordable option could be use the RS232 to TTL coverter (Based on Max3232 IC), leaving a diagram like this:

It could work?, I know it isn't the best option, but it's the most affordable.

And if it works, what aspects I should consider, the config of the Haas machine to send info via RS232 port? (specially Baudrate), the layout of the cables from DB25 to DB9?, other thing?

I am totally new in this subject, that is why I ask for your great help, thank you in advance.

Re: RS232 for data collect with Arduino.

I would look at just using an RS232 to USB adaptor. $10 from Amazon. If the connector the Haas is not a DB9, you will need to make up your own cable. Not terribly hard but you'll need to get the parts. Lots of instructional videos out there for that. Simply a matter of making sure you get the right pins connected (2 & 3 on the DB9 for Rx and Tx), you might need RTS, CTS, DSR and DTR. The Haas manuals should tell you what pins are used - though there are stardard pinouts for the different DB connectors. If you don't know the baud rate, just set the machine up to send continuously and try changing the receive baud rate until it looks right.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks you for your suggestions, It's a DB25 port, so it would be a custom cable, I guess each manufacturer has a different cable setup.

I'm thinking that you mean to make a DB25 to DB9 adapter cable, and then use an RS232 to USB adapter, would the USB be used in a microcontroller, in a PC, or in which system?
    At the moment I consider using a microcontroller because of how flexible they are, the peripherals that can be used and how cheap they are.

There are a lot of ways to get the data. If it were me, I'd try to avoid building something if there was a cheap off-the-shelf solution. In this case, use the RS232 to USB adapter and bring the data into a PC. Pretty simple, no wheels need to be invented.

I'll admit, it might be fun to build a device to do it but it all depends on what your goal is - get the data or explore ways to get the data. Don't underestimate that amount of time it will take to build, program and debug the micro. Also, if you will need to use it for ongoing work, you will want something that really solid so you will need to put effort into that if you build it.

This is the first search result I find on the internet about an ESP 32 or esp8266 DNC connection for a CNC machine.
    Anyone had any luck using one of these or other transparent RS232 connection trough another media??

Quote Originally Posted by crisiacuf View Post
    This is the first search result I find on the internet about an ESP 32 or esp8266 DNC connection for a CNC machine.
    Anyone had any luck using one of these or other transparent RS232 connection trough another media??
    Lots of solutions out there. https://github.com/grblHAL/core
    There are a number of breakout boards for grblHAL or you can make your own.

Also Open Builds now offers an ESP32 based all-in-one controller Blackbox X32 that uses grblHAL.
    FluidNC is another. Lots of discussion online - you just need the right search terms.

Thank you for the info but this thread is about sending data from a professional CNC machine to a PC/ or the other way around in my post