584,842 active members*
4,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controller Failed: New Suggestions?

I bought a Digital Dream CNC DDUM5 V1.0 5 Axis Mach3 USB Card 5 Axis USB Controller Board and have spent 4 full days trying to get it to work. It connects the Mach 3 and Mach 3 recognizes it's connected but none of the I/O works. I can't toggle a relay and if I hit a limit switch nothing shows up in Mach3. I've mapped the I/O out three times, there's limited user experience for this card online, and the manual is pretty useless. Now I'm looking to buy a new motion control card. Can someone suggest one that is popular and well tested? I was thinking about the Acorn CNC but wanted to see what has worked for people here first.

My card that doesn't work:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Dream-.../dp/B00FWNK8L6

Re: Controller Failed: New Suggestions?

...is this your current Digital Dream? It's possible all it needs is the Firmware updated.
    Firmware download - DDCSV2.1 - Standalone CNC Motion Controller - Digital Dream Technology support

Quote Originally Posted by remotecaptures View Post
    I bought a Digital Dream CNC DDUM5 V1.0 5 Axis Mach3 USB Card 5 Axis USB Controller Board and have spent 4 full days trying to get it to work. It connects the Mach 3 and Mach 3 recognizes it's connected but none of the I/O works. I can't toggle a relay and if I hit a limit switch nothing shows up in Mach3. I've mapped the I/O out three times, there's limited user experience for this card online, and the manual is pretty useless. Now I'm looking to buy a new motion control card. Can someone suggest one that is popular and well tested? I was thinking about the Acorn CNC but wanted to see what has worked for people here first.

My card that doesn't work:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Dream-.../dp/B00FWNK8L6
    Acorn is very good if you go that way and there is plenty of users and help available
    Mactec54

If you want to stay with Mach3, there are probably 3 good options.

1) Ethernet Smoothstepper
    2) Any controller from CNC Drive, which also give you the option of using UCCNC software.
    3) CS Labs CSMIO-IPS or CSMIO-IPM
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you want to stay with Mach3, there are probably 3 good options.

1) Ethernet Smoothstepper
    2) Any controller from CNC Drive, which also give you the option of using UCCNC software.
    3) CS Labs CSMIO-IPS or CSMIO-IPM
    If his Mach3 came with his machine it may be a Chinese hacked copy which can be a problem
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If his Mach3 came with his machine it may be a Chinese hacked copy which can be a problem
    Interesting, that's what it is. Maybe I'll try the demo version to be sure and will try to update it if I can also. Never even seen a picture of video of my motion controller card running (looked many places including the manual) so I don't even know what the typical LEDs are while running correctly, fault LEDs, etc.

Interesting, that's what it is. Maybe I'll try the demo version to be sure and will try to update it if I can also. Never even seen a picture of video of my motion controller card running (looked many places including the manual) so I don't even know what the typical LEDs are while running correctly, fault LEDs, etc.
    Post a photo of your Breakout Board Control, someone may recognize it, you could have something as simple as Ports and Pins configuration
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Post a photo of your Breakout Board Control, someone may recognize it, you could have something as simple as Ports and Pins configuration
    Good idea. Here's a picture of my board:

The board is powered to by USB and 24V. It is recognized that it is connected by my Mach3 software when I plug the USB into the computer but non of the I/O works. When I try an input I never see any indication on my software that it is received and have tried every possible solution I can think of.

Good idea. Here's a picture of my board:

The board is powered to by USB and 24V. It is recognized that it is connected by my Mach3 software when I plug the USB into the computer but non of the I/O works. When I try an input I never see any indication on my software that it is received and have tried every possible solution I can think of.
    I did not think this Board was still being used as it was one of the first of this type back in 2014 and was plagued with problems, they may have corrected it, but many had problems with this Breakout Board

Do yo have the Estop connected, this will need to be connected and working for it to work
    Mactec54

Yep The posts/experience I found online aren't promising. I set the software up to have an active low E-stop so I can run Mach3 and virtually hit the E-stop button. I can get the software to run G-Code while connected to the board and the software alerts me to when I connect/disconnect the USB (board also powered by 24V), but I can never have the relays to click on/off or any inputs to work. My understanding from reading the "manual" was that you have to configure the E-stop to an input port (which I set to active low). I've tried to set up the E-stop and test it but the board and software never show a sign that it's working.

Yep The posts/experience I found online aren't promising. I set the software up to have an active low E-stop so I can run Mach3 and virtually hit the E-stop button. I can get the software to run G-Code while connected to the board and the software alerts me to when I connect/disconnect the USB (board also powered by 24V), but I can never have the relays to click on/off or any inputs to work. My understanding from reading the "manual" was that you have to configure the E-stop to an input port (which I set to active low). I've tried to set up the E-stop and test it but the board and software never show a sign that it's working.
    Try changing the step active / low or active / high in Ports and Pins it could be something as simple as this, just play with one axis to get it working then move on to another some have got these boards working
    Mactec54

Thanks I tried and no luck. Support suggested I run V in to INP1 and Com but I tried that and no luck either. I ended up buying an Acorn board and have everything working as it should be. Would recommend others take this route if they face similar problems. Lots of great videos and support, much better experience after 30 hours of trying to get my old board to work.

Thanks I tried and no luck. Support suggested I run V in to INP1 and Com but I tried that and no luck either. I ended up buying an Acorn board and have everything working as it should be. Would recommend others take this route if they face similar problems. Lots of great videos and support, much better experience after 30 hours of trying to get my old board to work.
    Good choice
    Mactec54