585,604 active members*
3,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > sizing and choosing closed loop motors.

sizing and choosing closed loop motors.

helo.
    i am new to this kind so please forgive any silly questions.

i have a BF20 L vario milling machine equivalent to Grizzly 704 and i want to convert to cnc. from my researh i found that nema 23 is probably enouth for x and y and 34 for Z
    I am in Europe so it is easyer for me to find Leadshine products here.
    my questions is regarding sizing between nema 23 and 34

1)because i think 2NM is small for x and y , is it ok if i use nema 34 about 4NM? it is the same length but my concerns are if it is as fast as the nema 23 because its larger moving mass at the rotor. Also i think that a nema 34 4Nm is cheaper than the nema23 3NM .

2) my second question is regarding Leadshines products and the ES-M and Cs-m series of motors. Do any of you guys have any experience on those? as i understand from the descriptions bpth are steppers with encoders so what is the diference?

i am questioning about the
    CS-M22331-L - 3.1 N.m (439 Oz-In) NEMA 23 Closed Stepper Motor with 1000-Line Encoder
    and
    ES-M22430 (3Nm Holding Torque)

what is the diference ? it seems both aresteppers with encoders. the more expensive ES series seems that they have lower torque curve than Cs series . so why it is more expensive?

I appreciate any help.
    thanks!

Re: sizing and choosing closed loop motors.

I believe Kollmorgen still have their graphic sizing program https://www.kollmorgen.com/en-us/ser...eering-online/
    It is intended for their motors, but the sizing can still be obtained.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesGr View Post
    helo.
    i am new to this kind so please forgive any silly questions.

i have a BF20 L vario milling machine equivalent to Grizzly 704 and i want to convert to cnc. from my researh i found that nema 23 is probably enouth for x and y and 34 for Z
    I am in Europe so it is easyer for me to find Leadshine products here.
    my questions is regarding sizing between nema 23 and 34

1)because i think 2NM is small for x and y , is it ok if i use nema 34 about 4NM? it is the same length but my concerns are if it is as fast as the nema 23 because its larger moving mass at the rotor. Also i think that a nema 34 4Nm is cheaper than the nema23 3NM .

2) my second question is regarding Leadshines products and the ES-M and Cs-m series of motors. Do any of you guys have any experience on those? as i understand from the descriptions bpth are steppers with encoders so what is the diference?

i am questioning about the
    CS-M22331-L - 3.1 N.m (439 Oz-In) NEMA 23 Closed Stepper Motor with 1000-Line Encoder
    and
    ES-M22430 (3Nm Holding Torque)

what is the diference ? it seems both aresteppers with encoders. the more expensive ES series seems that they have lower torque curve than Cs series . so why it is more expensive?

I appreciate any help.
    thanks!
    Why not go with AC servo motors, they are more reliable and more accurate.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    Why not go with AC servo motors, they are more reliable and more accurate.
    Thats a bit of a stretch of the truth. There are heaps of commercial machines running steppers that have never missed steps for 20+ years and are just as accurate as servo driven machines.
    Its just the engineering is harder with steppers.

Lam technologies are manufactured in Italy and are the best you can buy and they also have a design tool so they may suit you.
    https://www.lamtechnologies.com/
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Soo funny , u cant compare stepers with servo , and the statements that u are shure that are company that make stepers that never lose stepes in 20 years show that u are not from this world , and dream about a paralel world u live .Stepers lose steps , because they cant achive high rpm without losing steps , and they are reliable for low speeds in cnc world , maibe for a laser , or a plasma cutter they work ok , but in a cnc where a tool engage in material stpepers will lose steps no matter if they are closed loop or open loop .

From someone who does, or at least did this for a living, I have always used servo's, just because I preferred the closed loop feature and superior positioning, but that does not mean steppers do not have a place.
    They have allowed alot to get into the DIY CNC game easier and cheaper that going with, and learning Servo's.
    In my career, I only came across one commercial CNC machine that used steppers, albeit did it to the customers satisfaction.
    You pay's your money and takes your choice !
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.