585,937 active members*
3,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

disassemble Haas 5C indexer

Have indexer disassembled (2004 model) except for center housing that holds the worm screw, and brass block. Seems to have a dowel pin (only one?) that prevents the center housing from being removed, the 5 allen screws are removed. Also, does the worm screw/bearing and input shaft get pressed out?
    From which direction? A diagram would be great if available. thanks for any input.

I'm looking at a parts list/assembly drawing for an older 5C.

I don't see any real tricks although it is difficult to see in great detail. By the term , "brass block", do you mean the worm gear?

In my guesstimation, I think you'll have to remove the worm first. If you've got the motor off, and the coupling off, that should clear all obstruction on that end of the worm shaft. Then you can perhaps just pull the shaft out the other side, causing the spindle to roll as you do so.

Then, you might be able to take the spindle out and have the whole mess fall apart on you
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Disassemble Haas 5C indexer

Removed dowel pin with a 6/32" screw and a puller. The worm and bearing/shaft don't want to tap out either way. (setscrew removed, moderate pressure applied. ) Don't want to damage anything!

Was this issue ever resolved? I'm up against the same problem.

It is a good possibility that the dowel pin is a pivot to adjust the worm gear play in conjuction with jacking screws that have to be loosened. Also on the front is there degree wheel (1.5' diameter?), if so remove it as there may be a bearing nut behind it.

The dowel pin secures the worm gear outer ring to the indexer body. You have to remove the dowel pin to slide the housing out the side.

When you remove the degree wheel, all you see is the end of the worm screw and a bearing. I also removed the stepper motor from the other side. There is a coupler from the motor to the worm shaft but no screws of any kind.

It would seem like you need to clamp the large ring in place and rotate the screw to drive it out the end. Obviously turning the screw just turn the gear. However, it's a little hard to turn the screw since there is nothing to hold onto.

Also, mine was filled with grease but I know the new servo units take oil, any thoughts on that one?

HuFlung Dung, Could you share those drawings?, I just bought an old haas 5c indexer (the one with stepper motor), it was working fine, but now is look that something is worn or loose, the motor spins but the indexer don't, I need to know how to disassembly it, I don´t want to mess it, thanks

Here is an excerpt from a rotary operators manual from 2001, let me know if you need a different version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Re: disassemble Haas 5C indexer

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    Here is an excerpt from a rotary operators manual from 2001, let me know if you need a different version.
    Ken, do you have an exploded view for an ancient 5C Indexer with stepper motor, serial no 193888?
    It is nearly mint condition but could do with some adjustments now it's run in!!!!