585,712 active members*
4,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MC v9.1 trying to figure out projecting toolpath

MC v9.1 trying to figure out projecting toolpath

I'm using old v9.1 and after 200 years of using it I still can't figure out how to project a toolpath consistently. Even simple engraving is frustrating but I really need to figure out how to project a chamfer with cutter comp onto the edge of a cut. Even creating the surface is a problem for me but I can usually work around and get that done. Most often it's a happy accident that I get it to work but can rarely repeat the magic.
    Any videos or other examples a 12 YO could master?

Thx
    JohnF

Re: MC v9.1 trying to figure out projecting toolpath

Run your Gcode backplot so that it creates the tool path as geometry. Then project that to your surface. I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. Are you wanting to project geometry to the surface or another toolpath?

Re: MC v9.1 trying to figure out projecting toolpath

Little slow on responding to my own post.....

I'm trying to run a chamfer around a triangular window cut into a round disk with a radiused surface. Picture a large shallow bowl upside down. I've created the geometry, saved it and projected it onto a cylinder but the surface is not a cylinder and there is no "surface" option in the dropdown menu. The "project to cylinder" op works as advertised but, as I said, it's not a cylindrical surface so the cham wanders and fades out to almost nothing at the sides.
    If there were a "project to surface" I'd be fine.

This whole project has reared it's ugly head again. I took care of it last time by hand editing a single window (real PITA I might add) then rotating it around the center of the part with an editor.