585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > Machine disconnects from computer when spindle is turned on.

Machine disconnects from computer when spindle is turned on.

Hello all.

I picked up a small CNC router a while back and have replaced the Chinese controller with one from Planet CNC. Everything was working fine up until the other day.

The controller and the computer connect and all works fine until I turn on the spindle. Then the machine disconnects from the computer. If I unplug the cable to the spindle, the computer will not disconnect. The spindle does spin up as it should when the cable is plugged in.

I attached two pictures, one of the laptop screen, and the other of the controller. I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure it's something simple. I tried a different USB cable and made sure the spindle cable was well away from the USB cable. Any help would be appreciated. If there's a thread covering this, please link me to it, I didn't find anything doing a search.

Thanks
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210106_160522.jpg   20210106_160045.jpg  
    Last edited by XRing3; 01-07-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Re: Machine disconnects from computer when spindle is turned on.

check the grounding. on the other hand, you can try to use a laptop powered from the battery ( not connected to power outlet ).

you can try to use a laptop powered from the battery

I had thought of that and tried it, didn't make a difference. I'm going to try connecting to a different computer once I have a moment of free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    check the grounding. on the other hand, you can try to use a laptop powered from the battery ( not connected to power outlet ).
    A laptop computer is isolated already from the power supply disconnecting the power would make no difference
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by XRing3 View Post
    Hello all.

I picked up a small CNC router a while back and have replaced the Chinese controller with one from Planet CNC. Everything was working fine up until the other day.

The controller and the computer connect and all works fine until I turn on the spindle. Then the machine disconnects from the computer. If I unplug the cable to the spindle, the computer will not disconnect. The spindle does spin up as it should when the cable is plugged in.

I attached two pictures, one of the laptop screen, and the other of the controller. I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure it's something simple. I tried a different USB cable and made sure the spindle cable was well away from the USB cable. Any help would be appreciated. If there's a thread covering this, please link me to it, I didn't find anything doing a search.

Thanks
    Dan
    No photos attached they may have high a resolution and need to be corrected to up load

Your wiring is not correct between the VFD Drive and the spindle, this cable is important and needs to be 4 wire plus shielded correctly terminated at each end

The spindle Ground on 4th pin needs to be checked to see if it is connected, the 4th pin needs continuity to the spindle body if it does not then it needs to be corrected, this is a common problem with the Ground wire not being connected inside the spindle to the 4th pin

You will also most likely need a EMI Power Filter also which is mounted close to the VFD Drive Power input supply

Post some photos of what you have
    Mactec54

I picked up a new USB cable and it works fine again.

I will definitely check out that ground wire, thanks for the suggestion.

I do recall having this same issue once before, so I check on that and I did the same thing, changed the USB cable and the problem went away.

Dan

I picked up a new USB cable and it works fine again.

I will definitely check out that ground wire, thanks for the suggestion.

I do recall having this same issue once before, so I check on that and I did the same thing, changed the USB cable and the problem went away.

Dan
    If your USB cable is shielded and has Ferrite Chokes you have a better chance of less problems
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If your USB cable is shielded and has Ferrite Chokes you have a better chance of less problems
    I had a chance to check the spindle cable. There's only three wires and none are connected to the spindle housing.

I'll check on that USB cable. Thanks

I had a chance to check the spindle cable. There's only three wires and none are connected to the spindle housing.

I'll check on that USB cable. Thanks
    The 3 wires are for the 3Ph power they are all carrying power to the spindle you have 3 Hot / Live wires and No Ground this is very bad

You have to have 4 wires it is a safety problem if you don't, the spindle and the VFD Drive must be Grounded with the input power supply Ground to your machine

So the Cable from the VFD to the Spindle needs to be 4 wire Shielded and connected correctly

What size spindle do you have
    Mactec54

The 3 wires are for the 3Ph power they are all carrying power to the spindle you have 3 Hot / Live wires and No Ground this is very bad

You have to have 4 wires it is a safety problem if you don't, the spindle and the VFD Drive must be Grounded with the input power supply Ground to your machine

So the Cable from the VFD to the Spindle needs to be 4 wire Shielded and connected correctly

What size spindle do you have
    OK, good to know. I'll order some shielded wire and rerun everything.

The motor is a: 0.8KW water-cooled spindle, 24000RPM

I attached two images, first is the controller. Would I be right to assume the circled terminal not in use is where I would connect the wire? The other image is the top of the spindle and I connect the sire there. However, where would I connect that wire inside the spindle?

Thanks for the help on this.

OK, good to know. I'll order some shielded wire and rerun everything.

The motor is a: 0.8KW water-cooled spindle, 24000RPM

I attached two images, first is the controller. Would I be right to assume the circled terminal not in use is where I would connect the wire? The other image is the top of the spindle and I connect the sire there. However, where would I connect that wire inside the spindle?

Thanks for the help on this.
    Correct the spindle Ground Plus the input power supply Ground, the Ground wire inside the top of the spindle should look like this if correctly wired

The cable you should get is CF6-10-04 from IGUS
    https://www.igus.com/us/pdf/cf6.pdf
    Mactec54

Correct the spindle Ground Plus the input power supply Ground, the Ground wire inside the top of the spindle should look like this if correctly wired

The cable you should get is CF6-10-04 from IGUS
    https://www.igus.com/us/pdf/cf6.pdf
    Thanks, that makes sense.