585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please Advise: DIY Hardware Controller

Hello, all.
    Apologizes if this is not the correct category for this post.
    I use multiple versions of Prototrak controller at my job, including prototrak plus which is of 1990's vintage I believe but possibly older. I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for where to begin in making my own hardware based machine controller. Later prototrak models, such as EMX, run on windows which I do not like. I want to start with an entirely hardware based controller, if I'm using the correct description.
    The unit would just have a simple display and control 3 DC servos for now. It would be programmed conversationally and have options to accept GCode. That's what I have in mind. So do I use PLC's, PIC's, other microcontrollers? All of the above?
    Thank you for your time

Re: Please Advise: DIY Hardware Controller

How are your programming skills?

Since you don't want to use a Windows based system, how about an Arduino for the user interface, and a Galil motion controller to handle the motion control duties.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I only dabble in programming when I have a project that requires it. So a little python, c#, and I have a couple text books on plcs but never had the opportunity to program one. I will look up Galil motion controller.
    Thanks for your reply.

Since you have some basic programming skills, this is a good project for you to learn more. It will also give you some experience with motion control systems, very important for CNC operating software. The nice thing about using Galil controllers is that while they have all of the needed motion control functionality built in, they are a blank slate as far as user programming and you can do anything you want with them.

I personally prefer to use a Windows front end with the Galil controllers, but the only real requirement is a serial or ethernet comm link between the UI and the Galil.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    it seems to me that you need to chose a software interface that you are happy with.

The popular choices amongst hobbyists on Windows platforms are Mach3, or better Mach4, UCCNC, Planet CNC.
    There are a couple of choices like Centroid Acorn, still essentially Windows based, but the software and hardware is manufactured by the same manufacturer leading to a ....nearly...'plug and play' situation.
    Centroid Acorn, Masso and Edging are examples of such systems.

Another valid choice is LinuxCNC.

Some of these systems absolutely require a specific motion controller, and therefore the limitations of each controller need be considered along with the software.
    Others are controller agnostic and therefore extremely good and versatile motion controllers like the Gallil range already recommended by Jim come into consideration.

Craig

I use mach3 on my manual to cnc conversion mill and have considered using Masso in the future. I'm primarily interested in making a controller similar to prototrak plus out of curiosity for how it works. Thanks for replies.

Hi,
    I've used Mach4 for eight years and is in my opinion light years ahead of Mach3.

I've only used a ProtoTrak machine for several hours, and while its not what I would call a great Gcode driven CNC interface it does have a very good 'conversational' programming
    interface.

I use MachMill ($75 license fee) which is a standalone conversational Gcode programming tool which generates Mach compliant Gcode. The interface is not as good as ProtoTrak,
    but its not bad, and has a full suite of features. In short MachMill adds conversational programming to my Mach4 installation that is about 75% that of ProtoTrak. I use it a lot.

Craig

Thanks for the info, Joe. I may use that in the future.