585,982 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Higher Spindle RPM?

To save bothering Tormach - I wonder if anyone has inquired or investigated the possibility of changing a pulley size and increasing the top RPM to perhaps 6,000 RPM to allow more effecient machining with smaller carbide cutters. I understand there is a very high RPM attachment - but that would not be as ridgid as the main spindle for tough materials such as tool steel etc.

I spoke to Tormach about this some time ago. They did not recommend going much above 5000 rpm with the existing spindle. Also you would need a substantial reduction in the driven pulley size. This will reduce the maximum torque transmission capability, which may or may not be acceptable. I think to usefully raise the rpm, and do it well, requires a significant rework of some description.

Do you need such high rpm when cutting tough materials?

I’m not sure 4,500 to 6,000 rpm is enough of an increase to warrant the effort. 10,000 rpm might be a different matter.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    To save bothering Tormach - I wonder if anyone has inquired or investigated the possibility of changing a pulley size and increasing the top RPM to perhaps 6,000 RPM to allow more effecient machining with smaller carbide cutters. I understand there is a very high RPM attachment - but that would not be as ridgid as the main spindle for tough materials such as tool steel etc.

Thanks Phil - That all makes sense. My current Syil has only 3500 RPM and I manage. My new Tormach will be an improvement.

I am adding a secondary spindle using a Sherline head with the 10K rpm option. The Sherline spindle has a #1 morse taper with drawbar so collets can be used. Here is the description of the Sherline 10K spindle: http://www.sherline.com/4335pg.htm

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

Don,

Have you tried the Tormach/Proxxon high speed "spindle" yet? I've used it for a bit of engraving in acrylic and it worked well for that though the application wasn't very demanding for power or accuracy.

Please let us know how you like the Sherline head once you get it set up. I have an old Sherline 5400 mill that doesn't get much use and the head from that would make a good candidate for adaptation to the Tormach.

BTW, there was a large block of aluminum mounted to the spindle in one of your recent photos on the Yahoo Tormach group. Is that intended as a mount for the Sherline head?

Mike

Don can you describe where/how you plan to mount the Sherline head please.

Hi Mike,

I did plan to mount the Sherline 10K rpm spindle on the piece of aluminum clamped to the Tormach spindle shown here: http://tinyurl.com/ywwepu I don't know when I am going to get around to doing that though as the need for the 10K rpm is low on my priority. I did install the 10K pulley set on the Sherline spindle and it works well.

Don

Don,

Yep, that was the one I was thinking of. Have you considered the Tormach spindle arm for the Sherline headstock? I have a spare, but suspect it will be too small to use as is and maybe the wrong form factor to boot.

Mike

Mike,

I considered a Tormach spindle arm, but made my own. One of the features of the Tormach is the ability to make parts for itself.

One of the features of the Tormach is the ability to make parts for itself
    Agreed, but I've got many more projects than time to work on them so finding a balance between buying vs making is a constant battle.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've got many more projects than time to work on them so finding a balance between buying vs making is a constant battle.

Amen. I 'm with you there brother!