584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Controller for 7 x 9 feet (2 x 2.5m) FAST drawing machine

Controller for 7 x 9 feet (2 x 2.5m) FAST drawing machine

Hello

I'm building a 7 x 9 feet (2 x 2.5m) "drawing machine". Essentially a very light duty belt driven CNC with a pen instead of a router. I need it to be FAST (2-3 feet / second)

For this kind of machines, I have used in the past OpenBuilds BlackBox, but this time I want to use either closed loop steppers or servos for which the BlackBox doesn't work. The reason is that the machine will have to run nonstop for days and any missed step will destroy the final drawing.

Can anybody recommend a setup consisting of a closed loop or servo + controller that accepts G-code?

Also: The longest wires to the motors will be 5m - 16 feet. Can that be an issue?

Thanks!

Re: Controller for 7 x 9 feet (2 x 2.5m) FAST drawing machine

Hi,
    if you are using AC servos, which are really the way to go, then they accept Step/Direction input just like an open loop stepper. The servo drive does the feedback
    and ensures that the servo stays within a very small (programmable) error between commanded and actual position.

I'm guessing therefore that your existing Black Box, assuming it is Step/Dir output, will work for servos just as well.

I use Mach4 and have done for some years. It digests Gcode, then produces numeric data for a motion controller board (Ethernet SmoothStepper) which in turn signal a breakout board
    which allow you to hook up to real world servos/ limit switches etc. I use Delta B2 series servos (160,000 count/rev encoder), and they spin up to 5000 rpm no trouble.

Craig