584,830 active members*
6,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > CX609T and CW20T: cheap Chinese standalone lathe controllers

CX609T and CW20T: cheap Chinese standalone lathe controllers

Hi all,

I opened this thread for discussions about the Chinese stand-alone lathe controllers XC609T and CW20T, which to my understanding are internally similar. These cheap lathe controllers are widely available on Aliexpress and some other shops offering Chinese CNC stuff. Unlike all other cheap Chinese standalone CNC controllers I've seen on the market, these controllers support a quadrature encoder with index pulse for the spindle, so accurate threading should be possible. They also support a handwheel and a tool turret, and should accept basic Fanuc G-code.

The only difference in these two controllers seems to be in the front panel: XC609T has Chinese front panel with some descriptive symbols in the buttons, the more expensive variant CW20T has a fully English front panel. Both models have the controller menus available in Chinese or English. I have no information of any firmware updates or bug fixes.

The XC609T manual is available in Chinese only, but it is very comprehensive. I've tried to translate it slowly for my own use with Google translator, for the last couple of years, before biting the bullet and purchasing one last summer... The CW20T manual in English has been available for quite a while from various sources, but it isn't as good and self-explanatory as the Chinese manual. Lately a Russian youtuber published a link for a bit better and more comprehensive English translation.

Some time ago a Finnish youtuber (not me!) published a video about how to switch the XC609T menu language to English, and also showed the most important items when navigating the controller menus.

https://youtu.be/zq2i2VcMp3Q

I suggest all current discussions about these lathe controllers should be moved under this thread. There is virtually no support from the manufacturer, so forum discussions are needed to find out all the necessary settings and programming details.

//Corhoin

Re: CX609T and CW20T: cheap Chinese standalone lathe controllers

I have been watching on this CW20T controller for some times during this pandemic since I can not do anything on my machineshop. I plan to cnc my lathe with this controller, the price is competitive compare to mach3 system. I will use with my fusion 360 and I think a lot of fanuc pp to choose from. I have contacted the seller but not much info to dig out. I will do after inoculate the bacteria.

do you think this controller support 2 ea atc on the back and front ? Ridgid tapping ?

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    do you think this controller support 2 ea atc on the back and front ? Ridgid tapping ?
    ATC control must probably be done using the controller's external outputs and inputs, so this depends on how your tool turrets are controlled and what signals they output.

About rigid tapping, there appears to be something related to this in the manual. Translation is from Google, proofreading mine:

3.8 Tapping cycle G33
    ---------------------
    G33 Z(U)__F__L__ Metric thread
    G33 Z(U)__I__L__ Inch thread

U: depth
    F: metric pitch (0.001...500.000 mm).
    I: inch pitch (0.060...254000.000 threads/inch)
    L: lead number (for multi-start threads)

Code function: The motion path of the tool is from the start point to the end point, and then back to the start point from the end point. During the movement of the spindle, the Z axis moves one pitch per revolution, which is always consistent with the pitch of the tap. A spiral groove is formed in the inner hole of the workpiece, which can complete the thread processing of the inner hole in one cut.

Cycle process:
    1: Z axis feed and tapping ("spindle on" command must be specified before G33 code);
    2: After reaching the end point of Z axis coordinate specified by programming, M05 signal is output;
    3: Detect after the spindle stops completely;
    4: Clockwise rotation signal output (opposite to the original spindle rotation direction);
    5: Z axis retracts to the starting point;
    6: M05 signal output, spindle stops;
    7: Restore the original spindle state;
    8: If it is a multiple-lead thread, repeat steps 1...6.

Here are the manuals in English.
    It is only 2 axis lathe controllers, so I would prefer the 609M, if it can be used for my lathe build, as I plan to put a third axis on for milling.
    There is only one encoder input, so I might have to swap between the lathe spindle and the milling spindle, but it might be possible if the 609M can be used for lathe.
    The encoder need to be an A,B and Z type as Omron make, but they seem to be a bit expensive...
    Hope this is usefull.
    Mike.

if you read the manual, both g-code look a like the same. Too much chinese on display CX609T. I sent email to CW20T that gcode is the same as fanuc (not specific which one). I plan to purchase this one and I will use it with fusion 360. I thought this CW20T cheaper than mach3 system that I use.

Well, you can get the 609m with either chineese or english keyboard, and it looks like the cw60 is a 6 axis version of the cw20..
    As the extra axis only cost a few bucks more, I cant see any reason to buy the 2 axis version..
    I find the 2 brands look very much alike...
    Mike

you are right, buy cx609m. no problem with display in english. I will check for software.

Thanks Asuratman, but I will wait a little buying, as it looks like these controllers are quite new, and still evolving, plus my machine build will take some month to finish.
    I can see the xc series also have a 700 and 800 series, and I want to see what they offer. The 600 series is aprox 200 usd, the 800 series 2-3 times as expensive, but this is still only a fraction of a Siemens controller, or for that sake a pc plus windoze, a mach3 board and software..
    They also sell some nice din-rail breakout boards for an easier connection than the db25 plugs. Cost is 40 and 60 usd for the two shown here :
    (I am not affiliated or making advertizing, just pleased with the very fair prices )
    I might spend the money I save, for a trip to Indonesia, as I have to burn 30kg of wood every day to keep me and my house warm, for the next 3 month.. and they say I live in a tempered country... I do not know how they survive in Sibiria... :-)
    Kind regards, Mike.

I will wait too, since no reason to replace my current controller. Those IO adapter and IO expansion boards are a must to have, so you will have plenty IO for your need. Not only milling with 6 axis, they have a specific product for turning with 6 axis.I plan with servo with this controller since servo price now is OK.

I got a manual for the standalone controller with more than 2 axis and a bigger screen, but it is in chineese.. any help translating??
    As I can google translate it looks like the other, but a deluxe version, and the price is still insanely cheap, but I suppose the compensations for linearity, backlash etc is still missing. The backlash is not important for me, as I build a new machine thats not supposed to have backlash, but the rolled ballscrews wil be a problem, I think..

Hello everyone.
    In the XC609T or CX20T manuals, I did not find in which units the feed rate is indicated - whether it is millimeters per minute / second, etc., or millimeters per spindle revolution. Only with G32 and G33 is it clear, there is a pitch of the thread and it is always micrometers / millimeters per revolution.
    Before I retired, I designed the electrical equipment of the machines with "adult" CNC systems. For them, it was possible to select the feed rate in mm per minute with the G94 function or mm per spindle revolution with the G95 function, depending on the nature of the work. To work on the lathe, the programmers almost always chose the feed in mm per revolution due to the quality of the turning surface.
    Can anyone give me a more detailed explanation, experience?
    Excuse my English, I use the Czech language translation using Google Translator.