584,826 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM5P Hurco sys config # cylinders, # heads, # Sectors
Page 1 of 2 12

KM5P Hurco sys config # cylinders, # heads, # Sectors

Battery died and replaced it with 4.5 volts the screen is asking me to choose , This screen is new and probably because it lost memory
    .here are the question s on start up
    MOS SETUP -REV 1.0 Hurco KM5P starts up and asks what type hard drive type :
    # cylinders:
    # Heads
    Precomp:
    Landing Zone:
    # Sectors:
    Capacity:
    Ram configuration: 4 megabytes ?
    Where do I find these numbers? The hard drive is a QUANTUM Fireball EX 3.5 series 3.2 GB AT IBM P/N:28L1609 FRU:10L6006
    BARCODE # 3.2AT EX32A341 REV 01-B A0A04
    key set at DS
    C:6256
    H:16
    S63:
    NOV/98
    So do the # cylinders:
    # heads:
    Precomp:
    Landing Zone:
    # Sectors:
    Capacity: 400 come from the hard drive installed?
    I think the RAM configuration 4 comes from the 4 sticks of 1Mb ram installed on board.
    I have a floppy that has a 9-2-04 date and SER #KTS 9002092 B software VER 1.64 SYSTEM CONFIG DISC (floppy)
    So procedure for restarting after the memory battery died, I installed new battery pack 4.5V (3 x double AA ) . then turned on power and then screen asking what hard drive type came up, I entered #Cylinders: 1024 , # Heads 16 , 0 , Landing Zone: 0 ,#Sectors 50 , Capacity: 400 RAM configuration :4 megabytes EXIT AND SAVE waited, shut off machine waited about a minute and restarted. not starting up like it did before the memory battery died. I didn't see this select hard drive cylinders, sector questions before, it just started up and I homed machine. I see several different number setting online for the Hurco KM5P but just trying to figure which ones will work
    The VERSIIN says 1.0 on control screen but the system config floppy says 1.64. Do I install floppy drive and it will update to 1.64 version from 1.0 after I put in the
    floppy and machine reads it? At a loss what I am doing wrong. I have 70 psi air to machine but it is pretty cold in the shop because it is not heated, probably only 25 degrees F out there now. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Rondal may also contact me at [email protected] if thats ok with community rules

Re: KM5P Hurco sys config # cylinders, # heads, # Sectors

...Should have entered C/H/S to 6256/16/63 may fix everything...Remove battery and start over sounds like.
    Post some Screen photos of your machine when starting up...may help us

Thank you for the reply, I had a dream that woke me up out of asleep about a part for whatever reason and decided to check this post , Thanks again for the reply and I will try that today .Thanks again Rondal

Enter bios and set hard drive for auto. Look that will be.

bmc 2416, but i think he did't see hard disk and hangs up.

Add pictures of problems

[email protected]
    +37060022992

I entered cylinders 6256 , heads 16 , sectors 63 enter and saved , enter, no change, shut off machine at disconnect and restarted , no change. I noticed that the revision is still at 1.0, how do I change version to 1.64? When do I install floppy ? Thanks Ron

I entered cylinders 6256 , heads 16 , sectors 63 enter and saved , enter, no change, shut off machine at disconnect and restarted , no change. I noticed that the revision is still at 1.0, how do I change version to 1.64? When do I install floppy ? I took some pics of start up but cant seem to load them. Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...Should have entered C/H/S to 6256/16/63 may fix everything...Remove battery and start over sounds like.
    Post some Screen photos of your machine when starting up...may help us

I entered cylinders 6256 , heads 16 , sectors 63 enter and saved , enter, no change, shut off machine at disconnect and restarted , no change. I noticed that the revision is still at 1.0, how do I change version to 1.64? When do I install floppy ? Thanks Ron

Photo Uploading

...click on "Go Advanced" than click the Paper Clip to open "Manage Attachments" than "Browse" for file to than click "Upload" and than wait 5-10 seconds for each File to Upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upload.jpg   Go Adanced.jpg  

Try either:
    Cyl 1024
    Head 16
    Wpcom 65535
    Lzone 0
    Sec 50
    On CHS

Or

Set to CHS then:
    Cyl 3303
    Head 16
    Wpcom 65535
    Lzone 0
    Sec 63
    Then change to LBA

Re: Photo Uploading

here are some photos of hard drive, screen bios page, Edit , The 160 hard drive is not the correct picture for the Hurco KM5P Thanks Rondal

sorry that is the wrong hard drive picture, Its not a 160 GB .

This is the drive in Hurco KM5P Thanks Rondal

Select drive type 47

By they way, has this drive run in this machine previously?
    It should be hard capped at 2gb for Ultimax.

This 3.2 GB drive is the drive that has been in it, I have not changed anything but replaced the Rayovac alkaline 840 4.5 v battery . I took the connection off of that battery and used it on a battery pack that holds 3 x 1.5 AA batteries. I figured that the memory would work if I supplied 4.5 volts DC . The board has a plug 2 pin connection on the edge of the board that I plugged in the battery pack connection from where it was plugged into before. . I do not know about the hard drive being capped at 2 GB. I dont know how to do that. I notice that you said to adjust Wpcom 65535. ? i do not see that on my choices to adjust. All I can say that is the machine worked and homed out. then after i let machine sit for a long while (months) the battery died, After that is when I started the machine back up and new screen came up and wanted me to select hard drive type cylinders ,heads ,sectors. Sorry I do not know what LBA is. The REV number on floppy is 1.64 and the control screen is REV 1.0. How do I adjust that? Another question about settings (then change to LBA)? Thanks again Rondal

V1.64 will run at 400Mb

1024 cyl
    16 head
    65535 precomp (wpcom)
    0 landing zone
    50 sec

Set up in type 48

Bloke
    Thanks for the help. I tried several numbers on the start up BIOS page, the ones you gave me did not work so I started removing the boards from the back plane and reinserting them. I found some numbers that did load . here is the info from that after it started up. these numbers may not be correct and be missing something because the spindle will start but it does not change fast enough and it faults out the spindle and shuts down with alert. numbers i inserted at start up, CMOS set up - REV 1.0 hard drive type: 48
    # cylinders: 1024
    # heads: 16
    Precomp: 0
    Landing zone: 0
    # sectors: 50
    Capacity: 400
    RAM configuration: 4 megabytes

MACHINE CONFIGURATION
    machine type KM5P auto
    machine class vertical
    vertical/horizontal vertical
    maximum X travel 31.00 in
    maximum Y travel 14.00 in
    maximum Z travel 6.00 in
    number of axis present 3

max RPM high gear 3800
    min RPM high gear 650
    max RPM low gear 450
    min RPM low gear 80

CPU TYPE 80386

input screen
    master program Max32 DSP v1.64 Jan 27 99
    I figured I would give you the screens information so if you spot something you can use to tell me what's wrong . I think there may have been something loose like a .cable, hard drive ribbon but all seated now. So The bios page numbers worked enough to load but I do not think the spindle controller is working correctly ..I tried to load a few pictures but i must not be doing something right. Thanks again for the help . I figured with the new information CPU type 80386 may change bios numbers? I also have a 2 wire cable hanging down by the digital spindle board not connected but I think it may be for aux work light but not sure Thanks again for your time Rondal

Looking at your picture of the spindle controller, there is no power to drive the motor for it. There should be wiring in the bottom right connector ‘AC IN’.
    The loose wires you have look like they belong in there. Do the wire idents correspond with the pin numbers on the PCB? There should be 115v AC on those two wires.

Bloke
    I measured the voltage on lead #2 containing red # 8, white #9 wires. Its 127 Volts AC. Looks like the board AC in says 8 HOT, 9 COM . . Does this sound right? Sorry about the drawing mark up on pic and the baby clothes pin to label wires . I figured better that then nothing labeled. function before fashion i say. I have the wiring schematics harnesses etc. if you need those. I didn't see anything that referenced the Digital spindle control board but I could have missed it, Thanks for the help. Rondal

Yep, that sounds perfect! Jam those wires in and fire her up.

bloke
    It works now. The spindle adjusts to called up program speed. Thank you so much for the help. When I started looking into this forum, I noticed your name a lot and by reading the times you helped other people trouble shoot and get going , I figured you were the go to person for help with the Hurco. Thank you for sharing that knowledge with us. Thanks to all of you that took the time and helped me also. Rondal

Page 1 of 2 12