584,808 active members*
4,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Advise on Buying a Haas 1997 VF-2

Hybrid View

Advise on Buying a Haas 1997 VF-2

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Haas VF-2. It came out of shop that took care of it. The machinery company that is selling it for the shop did a whole bunch of tests. It has a lot of hours on it 20,537, but the accuracy tests seems OK. Below are some of the report numbers. I could get it for $5000, maybe a bit less.

What do you all think? Worth it for that price? It does have a USB retrofit to upload gcode.

Motion time: 20537.34 , Tool changes: 742825,

Check level of machine. x In Spec. x Re-leveled
    X/Z Squareness (Reading ) x In Spec. o Out of Spec.
    Y/Z Squareness (Reading ) x In Spec. o Out of Spec.
    Y/X Squareness (Reading ) r In Spec. r Out of Spec. Axis backlash X (Reading ) o In Spec. o Out of Spec.
    Axis backlash Y (Reading .0003 ) x In Spec. o Out of Spec.
    Axis backlash Z (Reading .0004 ) x In Spec. o Out of Spec. Spindle sweep (Reading .0006 ) o In Spec. x Out of Spec.

Notes/Recommendations: did not check squareness do not have granite and customer not having tolerance issues at this time. Spindle sweep out there is roughness in spindle when running not sure if coming from spindle or motor further diagnosis needed. Not causing tolerance issues at this time.

Re: Advise on Buying a Haas 1997 VF-2

No one, really? Bump. Sad Face.

used machines are like used cars
    if it runs smooth and makes a decent part then 5k is a pretty good deal on a vf2

Thanks. I was more looking for any major problems with that year and model. I know older haas's have has problems and or design flaws.

I like the older controls better than the newer ones myself . I used to run a vf2 that was somewhere around the same yr and saw minimal issues with it . Good machine overall .

Cool. Thanks. Now just gotta find somewhere to put it. LOL

spindle noise is the obvious thing to look for but how do the ballscrews bearings sound when you jog ? What state are the slides in , will they leak coolant out the back of the machine when using flood . How does the spindle taper feel and are there any signs of someone using grit to polish imperfections on that taper ?

If everything looks and sounds good then you'll have a lot of machine for the price , not much can be had for 5 grand these days

slide covers I meant to say

I haven't seen it in person yet. Still doing my research. But I know the shop it came out of and it's been in storage, been inspected and tested by a machinery company. Hence the numbers in the first post. But I'll check that all out when I go to inspect.