584,830 active members*
5,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345

Re: Walter CNC Grinders

Hi, I'm working with a Walter Helitronic Power HMC 500 running on WALTER Window Mode that has just been sitting at the corner of the shop and I'm suppose to get it running to resharpen drill bits (both carbide and HSS). Unfortunately, no one here is sufficiently trained on the machine, so it has been difficult to learn everything/find useful resources. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to how to set-up the machine for sharpening drills.

First step is to determine what wheels to buy and what configuration to have. How do you determine what kind of 1V1, 1A1, and 11V9 wheels you should use?

Any help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by miroflyo View Post
    Hi, I'm working with a Walter Helitronic Power HMC 500 running on WALTER Window Mode that has just been sitting at the corner of the shop and I'm suppose to get it running to resharpen drill bits (both carbide and HSS). Unfortunately, no one here is sufficiently trained on the machine, so it has been difficult to learn everything/find useful resources. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to how to set-up the machine for sharpening drills.

First step is to determine what wheels to buy and what configuration to have. How do you determine what kind of 1V1, 1A1, and 11V9 wheels you should use?
    Need a few more details on the drills before anyone can give some direction.

How many flutes?
    Straight drills or step drills?
    Diameter and flute length?
    Point type? Standard or Facet?

If it's a simple 2 flute drill with a standard point, all you need is a 1A1 and a 6A2 (4A2 would work as well but you can't dress the inside of the diamond). You can use this setup for facet points as well, but I preferred to use an 11V9 in place of the 6A2

Details on the type of drill are as follows:
    - 2 Flutes
    - Straight
    - Facet point, but I would like to be able to do standard as well
    The sample I was given has:
    - 1/2" diameter
    - 4.5" flute length

For resharpening carbide drills do you simply use diamond wheels of the same shape? I'm also interested if there is a standard relationship between drill size and the diameter of wheels you should use. I've been searching for info for a few days now and haven't found anything explicit.

Thank you for your help

You will want the following wheels to start:

Spindle 1 with a short arbor:
    Inside wheel as a 320 grit 4" 1A1 3/8 wide, resin bond, 100-125 con
    Outside wheel as a 320 grit 6" 6A2, 3/8" - 1/2" face with a small (.015-.020" corner break) 45deg angle on the OD.

This setup will allow you to run both facet points and standard points with the same set of wheels. Keep in mind that you will need to true the wheels before grinding - especially the 6A2 as wobble on the diamond face can, and will, cause a drill to snap. I can't help with feeds and speeds as I've been out of cutter grinding for a few years and I can't remember what they were. You will also want to use a 'v' clamp with a bushing if you do not want to clamp on the flutes.

The wheel suggestions are just a starting point and over time you can play around with them to find what works best.

Edit: I was going to suggest some wheel suppliers but for a second post decided against it.

I'll have to setup for facet points using 1A1 and 11V9 since there isn't a 6A2 wheel in inventory.

What did you use to true the wheels?

When I was grinding tools, we used a dedicated offline machine for truing and forming the diamond wheels. Here's a link to the machine itself. I believe they will also supply the truing wheels. Going off of memory, I believe that you need the green silicon carbide to do the truing. Double check with your wheel supplier to verify.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...002-8183-9.pdf

This machine saved us a ton of time and allowed us to put fairly complex profiles on the wheels when needed. The only thing I didn't like about it was the vacuum on it - underpowered and undersized.

The 3M Dressing Machine might be a little pricey for our shop, I'll have to see if any alternatives are available. On another note, did you ever dress the wheels with a dressing stick by hand?

Your responses are much appreciated, I'm just an undergraduate researcher for the summer and I've been assigned to get the Walter Grinder operational again. So you can imagine how overwhelming some of this information can be for someone with little experience. Hope you don't mind my questions.

I know that overwhelming feeling. Try making .5mm ribbing tools in a non temperature controlled shop, with no heat exchangers for the coolant, on a Monday morning in the middle of winter (hint: don't try - you won't accomplish anything but add to the scrap barrel).

You need the dressing sticks to open up the diamond on the wheels after truing and a lot of heavy grinding. There will be some resistance at first but then the stick will feed in easily.

You might be able to use a manual tool grinder (ie Cincinnati #2 tool ginder) with a powered work head, just make sure that you match the runout between the Walter and the offline machine. You can also use a small bench grinder and attach it to the table inside the Walter (I don't recommend this if you don't fully understand how the machine operates as you can either manually move the axis or use expert programming).

I hope this helps you along.

How accurate would you say you could grind a standard drill bit?

Quote Originally Posted by miroflyo View Post
    How accurate would you say you could grind a standard drill bit?
    When I was running the Walters, everything was always ground to spec. Exactly how accurate will depend on what type of inspection equipment you will have available. I've done large tools (6" diameter saws), small tools (0.4mm/.0157"), and everything in between with tolerances ranging from +/- .0001" to +/- .005".

I really miss having the Walters around - the Vision grinder and the Micro Mini are nice machines to work with.

Hi everyone,
    I've been a grinder for over 20 years and use Walter HMC 500 with Tool Studio. I work in a job shop, so I see the full gamut of tooling. Occasionally I get stumped and need to bounce ideas off someone. As we know sometimes Walter's application support only goes so far to help. Thanks for reading!

Which documentation do you use for Flexprog. What we have got from Walter is not to consistent. I have difficulties to program the row material measurement. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Durkee View Post
    Looking for people running these grinders to swap ideas and/or solve problems. Software or hardware issues. Machine issues. Anything related to these grinders.
    Is this thread still alive? These are getting old enough to start talking about repairs. Any experience out there? Documents are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertch13 View Post
    Is this thread still alive? These are getting old enough to start talking about repairs. Any experience out there? Documents are hard to come by.
    I think the thread is not dead, but not active....
    I've got 20+ yrs with these machines. And I have more documents than I can count for most machine models. Where r u located? What machine models do u have?

Hello I am working on a walter cnc5 that lost a NC module. I am looking for the plc basic program and the .rar file for the mmc. does anyone happen to still have these files?

Page 5 of 5 345