584,862 active members*
5,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP5000 finding and transfer Parameters RS232

Question OSP5000 finding and transfer Parameters RS232

Hello

I am having problems with saving the parameters of a machine an MC-6VA to be precise.

i have managed to get to send files to and from the PC DNC but the main thing i'm trying to accomplish is to copy the internal parameters (TOP).
    But when ever i Try and change Bit 16,7 to a 1 to enter parameter mode and i go over to the AUX it resets to 0 again. so it feels like i'm missing something.

I have also fine combed the instruction books but haven't find any clear guide how to send over the TOP file over the RS232 (and also back to the machine).
    tried all kind of combos with the <Punch> command since there isn't any <output> option.
    Tried also to read the BB0 file system for a clue what the name on the TOP file since is but the machine gets stuck on page 1 and won't budge. tried the file names i found in the instruction books like A.top, Data.top and Data-1.top and i get nothing.

been hacking away at this for a long time and its starting to slowly drive me insane.

Re: OSP5000 finding and transfer Parameters RS232

Try to copy the parameter file to the "disk" partition where your part programs are. Try call the parameter file into text ( part program ) editor - you need to key in full file name, including file name extension. Since it is open in the text editor you can try to save it as .MIN file and this maybe possible to transfer via RS232. Not sure if this works, just suggestion.
    On the other hand, Okuma provides standard parameter backup procedure. This will work for sure. You need to find the description and figure out how to get the backup into file. I would rather use the parameter backup procedure. It is possible to read and edit parameters outside OSP. You need a special application for Okuma floppy format conversion.

Well i have a couple of 8" disks and formatting them should be possible in the machine itself and i'm about to experiment with it today.
    and inside the machine i cant find the parameter file and i don't know the extension of it. seems like it is supposed to be a .TOP or something something similar but can't seem to find it, it isn't mentioned anywhere that its supposed to be a .MIN file since it uses that for machining programs and i'm trying to backup the system parameters not the programs in bubble memory
    have dug through the system and will also try some other options that i noticed while looking through parameters and Bit settings. the thing is i have tried the standard backup procedure and i have had some problems with them, some explanations seem to be about another flavor of OSP5000 where i don't have the same options. some just don't work and others are meant for 1.44 disks witch this system does not have. it mainly have Punch tape or as mentioned 8".
    but i will contine to experiment on my end and see what other kind of soltions i can come up with

If you are truly on a 5000 and not a 5000L-G, you will not have the DATA-PIP option. This was developed after that time frame. In addition to the PIP function, you will have to press the EXTEND key and go to the DATA-PIP key on order to output parameters if your machine does have the feature. No key - no feature. At that point, the only way to backup the parameters is by utilizing the Floppy-D which should have come with your machine. The other options are the good old fashioned way - write them down, or use the high tech scanner in your hand and take pictures of all the pages. Floppy-D is the better way since it can also enter them when restoring parameters and avoids typo's. It should be a red disk in the back of your electrical cabinet in with your software disks.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

a little addition. Try just type the command D-PIP <write>