584,826 active members*
5,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Anyone local that I can pay to come troubleshoot and fix.... E-550 VFD, 4.5KW and M3

Unhappy Anyone local that I can pay to come troubleshoot and fix.... E-550 VFD, 4.5KW and M3

Hi, I own a KL-1212 that I purchased in 2017 from Automation Technologies (Chinese Machine). Last week my Spindle seized up would not spin freely causing the vfd to fault out. I run the machine 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day and it has been a work horse with limited issues. It had a E-300 VFD and 2.2KW air cooled spindle. I decided since I needed to replace the spindle I would upgrade to a 4.5KW air cooled and ordered a new E-550 VFD that would run it. I removed the old e-300 Noted where each wire was and then installed the new E-550. The Green & Black was again connected to the CM spot, The Yellow was connected again to the AI spot and left the red?? It was connected to the FWD spot which seamed to be for clockwise rotation in the 300. Best I could determine online was that it should now connect to the X1 in the new controller?? The main bar all got connect exactly the same old to new. I then set all my parameters in the VFD (to test via the vfd)

F0.00 = 3 (testing)
    F0.02 = 1000 (testing)
    F0.04 = 300
    F0.05 = 5
    F0.06 = 5
    F0.11 = 0 (also tried 1.0 as that was the setting from the e-300)
    F0.12 = 300
    F0.13 = 220
    F1.00 = 0
    F1.01 = 10V
    F1.03 = 0
    F1.04 = 300
    F1.08 = 11
    F1.14 = 8

I did not change any wires on the breakout relay card that was original to the machine (not sure the brand of breakout board):drowning: or from the ESS smooth stepper board I replace last year... I figured this should be a pretty easy pull one vfd install and set parameters for new one and replace spindle and press GO... lol. When I test from the VFD: I hit Run spindle smoothly accelerates and runs beautiful, speed adjusts easily with the knob. Then when I load a simple file in Mach 3 and hit run the cnc head raises and moves correctly along x,y,z axis like it is running the code - but the spindle never come on and spins

Is there anyone out there than can please help me on this one either local or online... willing to pay if local and can come find the missing piece of this puzzle to get me back running! I have about 8 orders waiting on the machine to be back up and am running out of time. I did also try figuring out if it was a Mach 3 setting issue (perhaps because of X1 location) but I am lost when it comes to figuring out the ports and pins - motor and spindle settings - the settings for Mach were all set in a config file when I bought the machine

Re: Anyone local that I can pay to come troubleshoot and fix.... E-550 VFD, 4.5KW an

I am located in Wellsville Ohio - about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh and 1:30 from Cleveland... Any help live or online would be huge!

Re: Anyone local that I can pay to come troubleshoot and fix.... E-550 VFD, 4.5KW an

Sorry I'm not close to you but , I had a spindle upgraded and I ran into issues with a setting for a braking resistor which I had no clue about, maybe you're having same issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hyghroller73 View Post
    I am located in Wellsville Ohio - about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh and 1:30 from Cleveland... Any help live or online would be huge!
    I'm in Ashtabula - 1.5hrs from you. Still need help?

Hi, I own a KL-1212 that I purchased in 2017 from Automation Technologies (Chinese Machine). Last week my Spindle seized up would not spin freely causing the vfd to fault out. I run the machine 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day and it has been a work horse with limited issues. It had a E-300 VFD and 2.2KW air cooled spindle. I decided since I needed to replace the spindle I would upgrade to a 4.5KW air cooled and ordered a new E-550 VFD that would run it. I removed the old e-300 Noted where each wire was and then installed the new E-550. The Green & Black was again connected to the CM spot, The Yellow was connected again to the AI spot and left the red?? It was connected to the FWD spot which seamed to be for clockwise rotation in the 300. Best I could determine online was that it should now connect to the X1 in the new controller?? The main bar all got connect exactly the same old to new. I then set all my parameters in the VFD (to test via the vfd)

F0.00 = 3 (testing)
    F0.02 = 1000 (testing)
    F0.04 = 300
    F0.05 = 5
    F0.06 = 5
    F0.11 = 0 (also tried 1.0 as that was the setting from the e-300)
    F0.12 = 300
    F0.13 = 220
    F1.00 = 0
    F1.01 = 10V
    F1.03 = 0
    F1.04 = 300
    F1.08 = 11
    F1.14 = 8

I did not change any wires on the breakout relay card that was original to the machine (not sure the brand of breakout board):drowning: or from the ESS smooth stepper board I replace last year... I figured this should be a pretty easy pull one vfd install and set parameters for new one and replace spindle and press GO... lol. When I test from the VFD: I hit Run spindle smoothly accelerates and runs beautiful, speed adjusts easily with the knob. Then when I load a simple file in Mach 3 and hit run the cnc head raises and moves correctly along x,y,z axis like it is running the code - but the spindle never come on and spins

Is there anyone out there than can please help me on this one either local or online... willing to pay if local and can come find the missing piece of this puzzle to get me back running! I have about 8 orders waiting on the machine to be back up and am running out of time. I did also try figuring out if it was a Mach 3 setting issue (perhaps because of X1 location) but I am lost when it comes to figuring out the ports and pins - motor and spindle settings - the settings for Mach were all set in a config file when I bought the machine
    If you can use the pot to change the speed then you are not in Remote control when the correct Parameters are set for remote control there is only the stop button that will work on the control panel

F0.00=1
    F0.01=300

Your wiring is not to code also, you can not use a Green wire for a power wire ( U V W ) and you have no Ground on the VFD Drive and mostly likely the Spindle also as that Cable should be a 4 wire shielded, this is very dangerous wired like this
    Mactec54

Thank you, I did get it resolved after about four hours on the phone and team viewer with the company that imports these machines It ended up a bunch of Mach 3 Setting they needed to change... and by the end I am not even sure what they did but they did get it running better than new.... I appreciate the offer and certainly would not of got this configured on my own, lol.

Thank you... The company I imported the machine through did have me change some of the wiring around which I know did involve grounding as we worked through this issue. While I know they had issues with Mach 3 setting I also know they wanted the wires changed as it did not match up with the way the original vfd was configured

Thank you... The company I imported the machine through did have me change some of the wiring around which I know did involve grounding as we worked through this issue. While I know they had issues with Mach 3 setting I also know they wanted the wires changed as it did not match up with the way the original vfd was configured
    They did not have you Ground very much as the VFD Drive has No Ground this is most likely the most important part to be Grounded

All VFD Drive output are the same ( U V W and Ground is required ) no matter where you are or what country you live in, your wiring has only a 3 core ( wire ) cable, this needs to be changed for a 4 Core ( wire ) cable plus Shield for the cable going from the VFD Drive to the Spindle

There is no excuse for this, they should not be importing machines that don't comply with electrical code

Up grading from a 2.2Kw to a 4.5KW would require all your mains supply and VFD Drive to Spindle wiring to be changed also

So you input Cable to the machine cabinet will need to have a minimum of 40A rating as well as the breaker up grade , if you are using 240v single phase supply for a 4.5Kw spindle to be used
    Mactec54